Sustaining pedal increases volume

The AvantGrand features two legendary concert grands in one hybrid piano and with a small footprint, the AvantGrand delivers a seamless unity of acoustic elements and refined technology.

Moderators: parametric, SeaGtGruff

omccreary
Location.: New York City

Sustaining pedal increases volume

Unread post by omccreary »

I have an AvantGrand N3. The sustaining pedal (right pedal) works in a way that I've always been uncomfortable with: when I'm holding down a chord and I press the pedal, the sound gets richer, which is what I'd expect, but it also gets noticeably louder.

I think that I understand what this is intended to do. On a regular acoustic piano, when I'm holding a chord and I press the pedal, the resonance becomes richer. But the volume does not get louder.

This is not a new problem. This is the way it has worked ever since I first got the AvantGrand a number of years ago.

Is this a known problem on the AvantGrand? Is there any way to fix this?

Thanks.

Rabbit Tree Studio
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: Near Watford, United Kingdom

VIP

Re: Sustaining pedal increases volume

Unread post by parametric »

Looking at Yamaha's Site, I note the N3 is discontinued but also there appear to be no firmware updates listed . . .

Have you tried re-initialising to factory defaults?

It might clear up your other problems too :pray:

I can't believe an instrument of this value should be exhibiting the "oddities" you have mentioned . . . .

AvantGrand reset.jpg

Give it a go . . . . and let us know . . . . ;)

ATB

parametric

Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - https://yamahamusicians.com/720k-floppy-disks-for-sale/

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
omccreary
Location.: New York City

Unread post by omccreary »

"I can't believe an instrument of this value should be exhibiting the "oddities" you have mentioned . . . ."

Yup, I agree.

As far as I know, I've never changed the factory settings, beyond adjusting the controls (volume, voice, reverberation), as they're intended.

But you're right, maybe that's it. I'll try to figure out how to restore the factory settings, if possible, and see what happens.

Thanks again!

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: Near Watford, United Kingdom

VIP

Unread post by parametric »

omccreary wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:16 am. I'll try to figure out how to restore the factory settings, if possible, and see what happens.
No need to figure it out . . . .

That picture in my previous post is taken from the Manual . . . .

With the instrument powered OFF . . . .

Hold down those two buttons and power it ON . . . .

confirm the display shows "CLr" while it clears . . . . .

When complete, it will probably show something else . . . <OK> or <Done> perhaps - they don't say . . . . :roll:

NOW try playing - and see if the problems are gone?

parametric

Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - https://yamahamusicians.com/720k-floppy-disks-for-sale/

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris