"Baby Love" synth solo

Request Yamaha MODX Patches here. Requests only in here please.

Moderators: parametric, Derek, Saul

MitchNC
Location.: United States

"Baby Love" synth solo

Unread post by MitchNC »

Is the MODX capable of the synth sound in "Baby Love" by Mother's Finest?

Macke
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: Sweden

VIP

Re: "Baby Love" synth solo

Unread post by Macke »

Hi Mitch,

I see your post never got answered here. Good thing you also posted in the official Yamaha forum and got a response from BM.

I'll leave a quote here for others looking for the answer to the same question.
BM:
This classic sound is fairly easy to replicate. Here are three that will get you close — tweak from here:

“Detuned Vintage” — a Sawtooth Element and a narrow nasal Pulse Wave Element.
“Space Lead” — a Sawtooth Element and a Square Wave down an octave or two.
“ProgressiveRk Lead” — a Sawtooth, Sync LFO, and another Sawtooth down an octave (The ‘Sync LFO’ Waveform gives it that inner movement)

You’ll hear a bit of this in any of these sounds - you can thicken it up.. there is definitely a couple oscillators tuned an octave apart.
But any of these is a good starting place.

Mitch:
Yes, that ProgressiveRK was a great place to start. I gave the pitch wheel a huge range and now I'm trying to get the Superknob to control the cutoff.
It will definitely do the job.

MitchNC

Unread post by MitchNC »

I still wish I could get it closer to the real thing.

Macke
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

VIP

Unread post by Macke »

MitchNC wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:11 pm I still wish I could get it closer to the real thing.
Hi MitchNC,

I see you've been quite busy in the official forum gathering knowledge and building your own set of performances. I guess you play in a cover band based on the requests I've seen so far.

I'm not the sharpest at sound design myself but if you care to share what you have achieved si far maybe there might be some trick available to help you out.

I guess your performance is still based on the ProgressiveRk Lead (preset) which should be easy enough to export as a .x8b file using MODX Connect, then place it in a zip file and uploaded/attached here.

As you are a "new" user with only a few posts under your belt so far there might be a upload limitation (spam protection) in place but let me know if that is the case and we can get it sorted.

And for anyone seeing this and care to help out it's the lead synth sound from the song Baby Love Mother's finest that Mitch is trying to recreate.

Last edited by Macke on Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: spelling

MitchNC

Unread post by MitchNC »

Yes, I joined a stellar variety band less than a week after I got my MODX and I have been busting my tail learning 40 songs and creating all the parts.
Bad Mister's explanations are incredible and I always search the Montage forums as well.

Would it work if I put the performance on Soundmondo? I haven't used Connect yet but will try to get it set up tomorrow.
Very long rehearsal today.

Thanks for your help!
I'm also trying to get the synth sound from She's a Beauty. I've got the pulsing part nailed but haven't been able to get that "WOW" sound quite right.
I think I need to close the filter on release. That's another task for tomorrow.

So much to learn. I literally don't even know what "Motion Control" means or what it does. :) That's for later.

Macke
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

VIP

Unread post by Macke »

MitchNC wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:43 pm Yes, I joined a stellar variety band less than a week after I got my MODX and I have been busting my tail learning 40 songs and creating all the parts.
Bad Mister's explanations are incredible and I always search the Montage forums as well.
Hi,

Sounds like quite some work but most likely the best way to find motivation and actually learn the instrument even though the learning curve is quite steep.

BM and Jason are the corner stone on the official forum and as you say, it's hard to find a better explanation than from Bad Mister.

It's wise to check the MONTAGE forums as well as most details are the same between the boards.
MitchNC wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:43 pm Would it work if I put the performance on Soundmondo? I haven't used Connect yet but will try to get it set up tomorrow.
Very long rehearsal today.
A link to the performance on Soundmondo is of course equally fine. As I stated before, if you are having issues posting an url here (also spam protection) you can just post the performance number and I can help fix it.
MitchNC wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:43 pm Thanks for your help!
I'm also trying to get the synth sound from She's a Beauty. I've got the pulsing part nailed but haven't been able to get that "WOW" sound quite right.
I think I need to close the filter on release. That's another task for tomorrow.

So much to learn. I literally don't even know what "Motion Control" means or what it does. :) That's for later.
Best of luck moving forward and I'll see you around.

MitchNC

Unread post by MitchNC »

Please let me know if you are able to access this Performance on Soundmondo:

https://soundmondo.yamahasynth.com/voices/67366
Last edited by Macke on Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed "/sync/" from url from https://soundmondo.yamahasynth.com/voices/sync/67366

Macke
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

VIP

Unread post by Macke »

MitchNC wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:07 pm Please let me know if you are able to access this Performance on Soundmondo:

https://soundmondo.yamahasynth.com/voices/67366
Hi Mitch and thanks for sharing. I'll cross post this into the ordinary MODX forum as well as this section isn't that heavily used/monitored so let's see if that can help get some attention.