Are synthesizers addictive?

Kick back and talk about anything here. Music or non Music related..Anything goes....within reason!

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar Spain
EB5AGV

Re: Are synthesizers addictive?

Unread post by EB5AGV » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:53 am

It is great to see that I am not alone. And, now that it has a name (GAS), I can call it properly :)

Well, after yesterday's acquisition of a very nice one-owner DX7, and today acquisition of a TG77, I think I am done for some days...

Once all my units arrive, I will see how to arrange them and which ones are going to be on my main setup, which ones will go to the synth room and which ones will go to the storage area. Some need fixing, so they will be the first to inaugurate the synth repair lab, once I set it up :mrgreen:

The interesting bit is that I wanted a MODX7 and that one is still missing on my setup :roll: . Perhaps on next GAS period :think:

Jose
Jose Gavila

Yamaha DX7, TX81Z, 4x SY77, TG77, SPX990, SY85, EX5R, EX7, MOTIF RACK XS, DGX660, PSR-EW410, Genos
Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Pigments, Analog Lab 3, Piano V-2
Casio CT-X5000
Korg M1, Wavestation, Triton Rack
Roland D-50, JV-1080
Steinberg Cubase Elements 10, The Grand 3
User avatar Wales
Derek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by Derek » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:38 am

Welcome to the club!! :)
Regards
Derek Cook

http://www.carregddu.co.uk
http://www.echoes-music.co.uk
http://www.xfactory-librarians.co.uk
http://www.ex5tech.co.uk
User avatar Spain
EB5AGV

Unread post by EB5AGV » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:19 am

Derek wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:38 am
Welcome to the club!! :)

Well, I have been thinking about my GAS syndrome and I think I have the answer. I have loved music since I can recall. I like to have a melody on my head always and sing it or virtually play it to myself with all detail. But the keyboard playing had always been a desire I had not fulfilled in my life, even having a keyboard at home when I lived with my parents and which ended finally on my home (it is an italian Fesma Granada 49 I still have). But besides playing occasionally some right hand notes and basic left hand chords, that was all for almost 50 years!. So when I discovered the wonderful world of piano / keyboard playing / synthesizers in February 2018, I got hooked 8O

I feel the urge to fill that big void on my playing life so, now that I can afford mostly any keyboard (reasonably priced), I told to myself why not?. Also, considering it may be part of my professional repair activity, gives it an extra punch. Even my wife is not (yet :lol: ) complaining (probably because she has not yet seen the last hoard of keyboards which patiently wait hidden of sight until I have setup the synth lab :mrgreen: )

I am glad to have joined YamahaMusicians as here I find lots of affinity and understanding of my disease :clap:

Jose
Jose Gavila

Yamaha DX7, TX81Z, 4x SY77, TG77, SPX990, SY85, EX5R, EX7, MOTIF RACK XS, DGX660, PSR-EW410, Genos
Casio CT-X5000
Roland D-50, JV-1080
User avatar Wales
Derek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by Derek » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:03 pm

I am also lucky that I can finally afford good gear via a good job and some money from band gigs and selling my librarians. I still remember in 1983 drooling over a DX7 but there was no way I could afford one. So I turned my back on music until my disposable income allowed me to indulge around 1998. Started with the DX7 I always promised my self (in hindsight I should have gone straight to SY77) and quickly graduated to an EX5 as a better all rounder.

BTW, when the good lady starts complaining, it is much easier to sneak VSTis into the house and onto your computer and they don’t have to dust them! ;)
Regards
Derek Cook

http://www.carregddu.co.uk
http://www.echoes-music.co.uk
http://www.xfactory-librarians.co.uk
http://www.ex5tech.co.uk
User avatar United States of America
puremusic

Unread post by puremusic » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:20 am

I have quite the collection of VST plugins here but not much hardware. The only sound generating device I work with is my digital piano, everything else is MIDI, and I hardly use the piano sounds.

VSTs are quite addictive. I bought a few ever month for the past two years. I can say my excuse is good -- I was building my kit of essential sounds..
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:28 pm

puremusic wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:20 am
I have quite the collection of VST plugins here but not much hardware. The only sound generating device I work with is my digital piano, everything else is MIDI, and I hardly use the piano sounds.

VSTs are quite addictive. I bought a few ever month for the past two years. I can say my excuse is good -- I was building my kit of essential sounds..
At least you are not taking up any space with the VST's :) And of course some can be incredible value for money.

I used to buy a lot of software but have pretty much completely stopped now as even with all the "new" stuff appearing I am old enough to now there is nothing really new, just prettier interfaces and easier ways of doing things. The sounds themselves and the synth engines behind them are not new. I have more software than I could ever use plus plenty of guitars and a couple of great keyboards. The only thing I do need is more time to use it all ;)
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Yamaha FS-TA/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors
puremusic

Unread post by puremusic » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:26 am

I see you have Arturia's Analog Lab, Arturia's Collection has some really nice stuff, their piano is impressive, and I was happy to get their CS-80, though it's not poly aftertouch like the original, I love the brilliance filter on it. I'd sure like it if I could use it as a separate fx plugin.

The most expensive stuff I've bought had to be the orchestral libraries, and they are programming them better than they did in the past. I really like how there is more support in solo strings libraries these days for controlled rebowing and more realistic sounding real time play.

But I can't find anything software wise that sounds quite like the VL70-m. I suppose if I fiddled long enough with Audio Modeling's Saxophone and the right reverb I might get something somewhat similar, but the exact sound that catches me -- I just have to get that. It's so rare that I hear modeled sounds that really grab me, often despite the expressiveness the beauty just isn't there. Yamaha has impressed me. :)

It's really great when a software or hardware instrument gives you more control in realtime. If I can map vibrato, dynamics, and more and control them all at once, I have a lot of fun playing. That's why while I don't have sound producing hardware, I do have some really good midi control devices.

I have MIDI expression pedal, that lets me assign foot pedals however I please, and add smoothing. I've got a Keystep that lets me do a quick loop, and adjust its tempo with a button press and a knob turn. I have a nice fader board, my breath control device which'll be great for the VL70/PLG-VL when I get it, and I have the Touchkeys mod for my keyboard, which was my best investment for dynamic control. I like it even better than than those Seaboards.

I'm trying to stay out of modular for the moment, as I don't think my wallet would survive, but I'll probably be pulled in someday. :)
User avatar Uganda
SysExJohn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by SysExJohn » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:08 pm

This thread takes me back SO many years. (Nostalgia rules okay!)

I became fascinated by synthesisers way back, would you believe, in 1968.
That was when Walter Carlos', Well Tempered Synthesiser came out.
I added three other titles, as they were released, also on LP.

I bought a tiny Casio keyboard and also a Stylophone.
Later on I attempted construction of a subtractive synth published in a Magazine called ETI.
(Not sure about the chronology of all these.)
An Atari 520st helped with the MIDI side of things.
A couple moved in a few doors down, in the road where I lived (80s) and, it turned out he was programming voices for the DX7 mkII.
Blowed if I can remember his name, but he worked in the Yammy office in Milton Keynes at the time.
Then later came an MU128, the PLG-DX, then the PLG-VL and lastly the PLG-AN.
Later I bought an Akai EWI 4000 and added a VL70m to it. (I learned Oboe and flute when I was younger.)
A little while back I couldn't resist adding an AN1x when one came up on German eBay. (I was living in Deutschland at the time.)

But somehow, I've left it all behind, although I did add WT Bach 2000 from Wendy Carlos, plus the remastered original LPs on CD recently.

I'm almost totally addicted now to orchestral music and orchestral VSTi's.
But synth GAS I had, definitely.
Still mess around, from time to time, with SFZ coding and the XML that controls the GUI in the ARIA sample player.
See below.

NewLayout.JPG
The five column, three row "Instrument Controls" and "stereo stage" are my modifications to the original layout, which looked like this.

OldLayout.jpg
The important thing is to have fun whatever "floats your boat".

Regards, :whistle:
JohnG.
Just in case you're wondering, the whistle is of Bach's "Wachet auf, ruft uns die Stimme" played by Walter Carlos on Moog Modular.
MIDI Tutor forum at http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/index.cgi.
UW500; 2xMU1000 + PLGs AN, DX, VL, VH & PF; SC8850; EWI4000s + VL70m; Samson Graphite 49.
Privia PX-560, AN1x, Novation X-Station 25. E-MU 02 cardbus + 1616m x 2. Sonar 7 PE. XGworks ST. & SQ01.
Garritan GPO4, COMB2, JABB3, IO, Organs, Steinway, World, Harps + GPO5 ... and now CFX lite.
User avatar France
EXer

Unread post by EXer » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:26 pm

EXer wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:40 am
Now I have PCM based, VA, VL, FDSP, FM, FS, true analog poly synth, true analog mono synth, wavetable (Waldorf), granular hardware synths (no VSTs!)

I just realized I forgot to mention my additive synth (a K5000).

Maybe it was an unconscient omission due to "additive" being too close to "addictive" ?

(in French the stress is on the same syllable in "additif' and in "addictif")
EX5 EX5 EX5R FS1R TX81Z TX81Z TX7 A4000
EX5Tech Member #101
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:52 pm

puremusic wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:26 am
I see you have Arturia's Analog Lab, Arturia's Collection has some really nice stuff, their piano is impressive, and I was happy to get their CS-80, though it's not poly aftertouch like the original, I love the brilliance filter on it. I'd sure like it if I could use it as a separate fx plugin.
I have a lot of Arturia software but I tend not to use most of it. In fact with all the software I do have I rarely use anything other than acoustic pianos and mostly I use either Pianoteq or Native Instruments 'Grandeur' for that. I just never seem to have time these days :(
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Yamaha FS-TA/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors
dannyrichardson

Unread post by dannyrichardson » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:06 am

I think synths are totally addictive. My favorites synths right now are:

dave smith prophet 12
Yamaha CS 80(Plug-in Version)
Roland JDXI
User avatar Spain
EB5AGV

Unread post by EB5AGV » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:02 am

Well, my GAS episode is (let's hope!) contained by now! :roll:

I have added to the stash some more gems and will slowly work to restore them to their former glory :mrgreen:

Latest additions have been:
  • Yamaha DX7
  • Yamaha TG77
  • Yamaha TX81Z
  • Korg Triton Rack
  • Roland JV-1080
  • Roland D-50
And this is it for now!!!

Jose
Jose Gavila

Casio CT-X5000
Roland D-50, JV-1080

Return to “Chill Out Room”