Yamaha Idea Scale CS80 Questionnaire

Kick back and talk about anything here. Music or non Music related..Anything goes....within reason!

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar United States of America
puremusic

Re: Yamaha Idea Scale CS80 Questionnaire

Unread post by puremusic » Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:24 am

Yup there's a discussion here about it I think, I forget where. :D It's going to be a golden age for CS80 fans what with both Yamaha and Behringer thinking about it, and software out too that tries to emulate it. My software CS80 is one of my favorite instruments though I always eyeball the used earlier cheaper model CS hardware on auction sites wondering what'd be like to have the actual hardware.
Roland FP-90 - Touchkeys - TEC BC - MIDI Expression
Kontakt - Arturia CS80 - Arturia Piano V - Sonivox Eighty-Eight - Spitfire Symphony Orchestra
User avatar New Zealand
silverlight

Unread post by silverlight » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:29 am

puremusic wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:11 am
Well if it's keyboard design forgetting about sounds and just thinking of the keyboard itself.. if I had to design my perfect keyboard hmm.. it'd be something with my Touchkeys mod integrated permanently..

So you're the man behind the touchkeys mod? http://touchkeys.co.uk/

I was checking that out late last year along with roli seaboard and linnstrument. It looks very interesting...in the end i decided to get a linnstrument - the design of it really appealed as well as the challenge of learning to play on a 'fretboard' layout. And i'm very happy with the linnstrument and am making slow but steady progress to learn the new layout and fingerings and techniques involved.

Dave
puremusic

Unread post by puremusic » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:45 am

No no, I just have one, Dr. McPherson is the creator. Pleasant fellow. Helped me out over the hiccups as I got it installed.

I've always been curious about the Linnstrument. If they had it on longer than 6 month interest free financing at Sweetwater I'd probably tried it out by now. The fellow behind the microtonal Tonal Plexus is finally making a new batch so I may try that out first depending on the cost and how it turns out.

Touchkeys is really splendid. It really frees up a hand otherwise dedicated to a modwheel, though I am getting better at my foot pedaling, I am better at controlling things well with my hands.
Kontakt - Arturia CS80 - Arturia Piano V - Sonivox Eighty-Eight - Spitfire Symphony Orchestra
puremusic

Unread post by puremusic » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:56 am

The layout of the Linnstrument is one of the chief appeals to me too. How does it feel for controlling the notes velocity wise?

The one shame about Touchkeys is Andrew McPherson is quite busy with his quite active and wonderful life teaching the students in his classes to invent new instruments of all kinds.. So the Touchkeys modification which has so much potential hasn't been developed software-wise as much as I would like, and there really isn't an active 'Touchkeys Users Group'. The software is open source, so other people could develop it further, and I think about hiring someone to do it now and then when I am not broke.

For example, basically you could set up Touchkeys to split up a keyboard into three if you want to, and make it microtonal too, or play three instruments on the same key, just upper, lower, middle parts of the keys if you wanted. Lots more stuff you could do with it if it were developed even further.
User avatar New Zealand
silverlight

Unread post by silverlight » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:27 am

It feels good velocity wise...overall it feels 'natural' to play. Straightaway you can tell it reacts well to velocity and as you get more used to playing it i think the control becomes better still. To me it behaves and feels like any good musical instrument does ie what it offers are not just gimmicky features but actually work and work even better with more practice. the way you can slide between notes (polyphonically as well), attain vibrato in the same way a string player does, and then assign the y axis movement and aftertouch pressure to other sound parameters. all these features feel good to use and are also adjustable in the settings. the y axis movement is of course limited especially compared with eg seaboard or touchkeys and i haven't really used it much...you wouldn't want to try and control some parameter with it that requires really fine control.
puremusic

Unread post by puremusic » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:42 am

Looks like Musician's Friend has 36 month no interest financing on the Linnstrument, so there's a possibility for the future.

Looking at the Linnstrument reminds me when I was looking at Janko piano demos.

BTW the Bladerunner OST and Chariots of Fire OST are often on my music playlist, so I enjoyed listening to the pieces you've done. I grew up with Chariots of Fire on my record player, I'd lie back and let my imagination wander and fall asleep to it. It was a great for provoking wondering about life and all the possibilities of the universe, like lying out in a sleeping bag under the stars. It's a soundtrack that truly suits vinyl.

The An1X does a great job with that kind of music.
User avatar Great Britain
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by parametric » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:26 pm

Just thought I'd mention Klaus' CS-80 Banks for the Alesis Fusion AND Kontakt:

https://bitr-store.de/shop/products/ale ... n-the-cs80 (€29)

https://bitr-store.de/shop/products/ni- ... t-the-cs80 (€19)

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
puremusic

Unread post by puremusic » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:18 pm

That's some nice sounding stuff Chris, I am enjoying listening to it, and it's inexpensive too. I'm bookmarking it.

Reminds me of the stuff PasttoFutureReverbs does, I have most of that fellow's stuff, just came out with a Rhodes Piano sampled all with the same hardware as used originally.
User avatar Great Britain
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by parametric » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:56 pm

Yeah . . .

Klaus is very good at what he does. I have quite a lot of his stuff for the Fusion -

which is how I became aware of him.

Of course, as he produces LOTS for Kontakt (and Kronos for that matter), some of it does migrate

to the Fusion as a result . . .

As I also have Kontakt (which I use a lot) it's sometimes difficult to decide which to go for . . . .

It is NICE to have the Banks ON the Fusion for immediate use, but it's the old problem of

"An embarrassment of Riches", as the Fusion has virtually unlimited storage . . .

All my Banks and Songs only amount to about 15Gb of the 120Gb I have available.

Guess I should use the 8-track audio recorder aspect more? :lol:

Chris
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris

Return to “Chill Out Room”