The MOMOX - REBUY shock!

Kick back and talk about anything here. Music or non Music related..Anything goes....within reason!

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

purcell
Germany

The MOMOX - REBUY shock!

Unread post by purcell » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:02 pm

The MOMOX - REBUY shock! - they make millions of euros with this!

CD Tangerine Dream - Oasis - used for sale - like new!

EAN/ISBN: 0604388414215, 0604388414222

MOMOX pays 0,15 € ! for that.
REBUY pays 0.53 € ! for that.

In the past, I drove hundreds of miles! For a brand new music CD ... back then without internet.
Everything by phone. Weather Report etc. CDs were rare .... back then.

I paid thousands of euros / dm at that time. CDs!
-----------------------------------------------------------
I know that old CDs can be broken or have errors.

Still a stupid feeling. 100 % paid! and 1% back?

Incidentally, ebay sellers sell music CDs in meters. By length!... for almost nothing!

This effect - I would have never expected. :mrgreen:
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Re: The MOMOX - REBUY shock!

Unread post by Saul » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:11 pm

I haven't purchased a cd for must be well over 15-20 years! I still have loads but I never play them. They are in storage boxes and the only time I see them is if I am looking for something else. But then I only ever play music through the mac and the quality is good enough for my day to day needs.

However if I should ever be in the position to live in a larger place I would probably go for some decent hi-fi and in that context the cd's would be worth getting out. They are for the most part much better quality than provided by most streaming services but you do need good equipment to appreciate the difference.
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Seagull S6 Original/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
purcell
Germany

Unread post by purcell » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:24 pm

Really curios! - "The opposite of the CDs."
Now running mad for (german expression) "Bernstein" ! = Amber!
Formerly everywhere available, in every household.

And now dealers hunt it everywhere. Completely unexpected?!?
Although it is still to be found on the beaches.
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:30 pm

These things come in waves though Purcell. Look at Vinyl records, who would have thought there would be a big market for those in 2018? It is driven by young people who have never experienced these things and of course the older ones amongst us looking for a bit of nostalgia ;)

CD's are the same, most young people will also not have grown up with them or not in the same way we did. So now the market builds and all those one time "worthless" cd's are starting to climb in price.

Amber was very popular in Victorian times and it has been since, sometimes going out of fashion and then coming back again. It's just the way of the world, no real surprises there.
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Seagull S6 Original/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
Derek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Wales

Unread post by Derek » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:18 pm

I must be hip and with the times then as I ditched vinyl as soon as I could (all scratchy and hissy no matter how careful you were), tape is long gone and all of my CDs are up the attic. All of my music (over 600 albums) is either on the Mac (which I can stream to other computers in the house) or on my iPhone, which means I do not need to agonise on what I listen to in the car, at work or in a hotel room. I can pick any album I have.

Why on earth would I want any media other than my computer/phone for that sort of flexibility? I remember in the 90s having a portable CD player, speakers and a solid case for ten CDs, and I'd then need to agonise over which ten I would take on a trip. And it was all bulk and weight in the suitcase.

I always purchase music as a download now when I can, unless the band give you no choice, but then it is a CD ripped straight to computer.

Despite being a music nut, I've never bought the Audiophile bug and see spending loads of money on expensive audio equipment as a complete waste of money, as when you listen to music you do so in a non perfect environment (e.g. living room with glass/carpet/curtains, etc.), car, etc. And you are often doing things other than purely listening, so a lot of the time music is background listening.

To actually listen to my music in terms of Audio systems, I have
  • My 5:1 surround system in the living room for the Mac
  • A BOSE speaker/dock in the kitchen for iPhone
  • A B&O Bluetooth speaker in work (very good) for iPhone,
  • A small portable Sony Bluetooth Cube for iPhone hotel listening (or when we are outside in the garden). This has amazing sound quality for the size.
  • Bluetooth receivers for the car/van for iPhone
The iPhone audio via its inbuilt speakers is actually very good for listening in hotel rooms at low'ish volumes. So quite often it is just that when I am listing to music when falling asleep (and to drown out hotel noise).

A lot of Vinyl nostalgia for me was gate fold sleeves, artwork and lyrcs and band/track info. I used to pore over those. But you can find that all online these days.
Regards
Derek Cook

http://www.carregddu.co.uk
http://www.echoes-music.co.uk
http://www.xfactory-librarians.co.uk
http://www.ex5tech.co.uk
SysExJohn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Uganda

Unread post by SysExJohn » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:45 pm

Some years ago, when I still lived in Germany, I decided to buy as many as could of the Time Life series of CD's "Sounds of the Sixties" (my era).

Generally I could pick them up for around five to ten pounds for a used/new copy on eBay.
Now I see some of the scarcer ones going for up to a hundred quid a go!
I'm guessing my collection of twenty or so sets might be worth a couple of bob now?
They're all carefully ripped using EAC and compressed at "insane" setting using LAME. (320k, quality 0 (best), full stereo.)
Anyone else using Razor Lame?

I play them back with my brilliant little Cowon media player, with its 120GB HDD inside and Sennheiser HD600 phones. :D (Y)

Happiness. ((i))
MIDI Tutor forum at http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/index.cgi.
UW500; 2xMU1000 + PLGs AN, DX, VL, VH & PF; SC8850; EWI4000s + VL70m; Samson Graphite 49.
AN1x, Novation X-Station 25. E-MU 02 cardbus + 1616m x 2. Sonar 7 PE. XGworks ST. & SQ01.
Garritan GPO4, COMB2, JABB3, IO, Organs, Steinway, World, Harps + GPO5 ... and now CFX lite.
purcell
Germany

Unread post by purcell » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:35 pm

Next test:
Keith Jarrett - The Köln Concert - CD

EAN/ISBN: 0004228100672, 0042281006722

MOMOX pays 2,81 € for that.
REBUY pays 2,95 € for that.
I´ll check my absolute rarities CDs.
After all, I have already arrived at almost 3 € purchase price. ((i)) :/:
Of course I will never sell the Köln Concert CD. And not for 3 € anyway.

I would probably get 50-100 € for 100 CDs. :x
monsterjazzlicks
Super Patch Creator
Super Patch Creator
Great Britain

Unread post by monsterjazzlicks » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:55 pm

Purcell,

I own about 600 x CDs of which I have been ripping to FLAC (over the past 9 months). The rate at which I purchase CDs has declined exponentially (I have almost all the albums I want/need); but I do still buy the odd one here and there if something new and interesting is released.

Unlike Saul, I am still a very big fan of digital hard-copies. I think I only own 2/3 download albums (from Quobuz); this was because they have never been released on CD or because they are priced astronomically high (and available only as Japanese imports).

Like Derek, I ditched my vinyls (in my early teens) with much good riddance!

Ta,

Paul

Return to “Chill Out Room”