RE: Suitable Replacement For 25 Year Old Sennheiser Headphones (help?)

Kick back and talk about anything here. Music or non Music related..Anything goes....within reason!

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

monsterjazzlicks
Super Patch Creator
Super Patch Creator
Great Britain

Re: RE: Suitable Replacement For 25 Year Old Sennheiser Headphones (help?)

Unread post by monsterjazzlicks » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:55 pm

Saul,

They are sent from Germany. If I order tomorrow they will arrive on Wednesday (free delivery). The guy said there are 20 x pairs of each phone still in B-stock.

Ta.
monsterjazzlicks
Super Patch Creator
Super Patch Creator
Great Britain

Unread post by monsterjazzlicks » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:02 pm

Hi,

I have ordered the Sennheiser HD 4.50 today! £97.00 in B-stock.

Ta,

Paul
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:37 pm

monsterjazzlicks wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:02 pm
Hi,

I have ordered the Sennheiser HD 4.50 today! £97.00 in B-stock.

Ta,

Paul
Well done Paul ((i)) ((i)) ((i))

Took a while but you got there in the end and from what I can see these are going to be great headphones. Not sure they will last as long as your old ones but you never know :)
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Seagull S6 Original/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
monsterjazzlicks
Super Patch Creator
Super Patch Creator
Great Britain

Unread post by monsterjazzlicks » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:45 pm

Saul wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:37 pm
Took a while but you got there in the end and from what I can see these are going to be great headphones. Not sure they will last as long as your old ones but you never know :)
The proof will be in the pudding!
monsterjazzlicks
Super Patch Creator
Super Patch Creator
Great Britain

Unread post by monsterjazzlicks » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:29 pm

Hi,

I was out in Liverpool again today and managed to pop into a store.

They had the Senneiser HD450s I am interested in. I tried them on but I found they are quite bulky and heavy; though of course I might get used to them. The noise-cancelling was excellent.

I tried the Beats Studio 3 phones (which I had tried in the Apple store last week). These really are superb in ever way - except the price tag (£300!).

I saw some Bose headphones and tried them on. I did not like the design when i first saw them, and I knew Bose are expensive. But these were by far the comfiest of them all - so light in the ear/head. It felt like you could wear them literally for hours, You have the option to use bluetooth or mini-jack. I don't think they had 'noise-cancellation' but the background noise did diminish once the music was playing. 99% of the Amazon reviews are great. I have 2 reservations though:

1 - £199!; though they are worth it (I would dare say) from my experience in the store (as I took my own mp3 player to test my own CD collection with).

2 - They have a feature called "Active EQ" (it is mentioned in the linked Amazon and Bose pages below). I really don't know if this is a good/bad thing?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bose-SoundLink ... eadphones#

https://www.bose.co.uk/en_gb/products/h ... s_ii_black

Ta,

Paul
monsterjazzlicks
Super Patch Creator
Super Patch Creator
Great Britain

Unread post by monsterjazzlicks » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:23 pm

Hi,

The agent at Bose who called me back today do knew very little. Quite a poor service in comparison to the expert at Sennheiser. He knew the basic answers, but nothing technical, sadly. I would have thought their reps would know everything about their products?

Have had to join the Bose Forum to try and seek answers from other members. A shame because the phones are quite excellent and I would have bought them had the technician have been on the ball.

Paul
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Great Britain

Unread post by parametric » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:26 am

Good to know that Sennheiser have enough pride in their products to field a knowledgeable support team.

Sadly, with more Accountants being allowed in the board room, TechSupport is increasingly considered to be a drain on profits and is (usually) unceremoniously dumped into a user forum.

DIY Support - so to speak . . . :roll:

Research is generally viewed in much the same way these days, so it's no surprise we are often left wondering WHY new products haven't appeared (or are extremely SLOW to appear) . . .

Oh Well . . . .. they'll find out :roll:

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:48 am

Yeah this trait of passing customer support to a user forum is becoming more widespread, after all it costs the company absolutely nothing and is left to the dedicated few who know what they are talking about to carry the weight. Yamaha are not quite like that, yes there are user forums out there including our own but you can still quite easily pick up the phone and talk to their own tech support.

I am surprised a company like Bose, who has such a high reputation for sound quality would then be happy to destroy that reputation by sloppy customer services 8O THAT definitely smacks of accountants running the show.

I think you made the right choice Paul and even though you thought the Sennheiser 450's were a bit uncomfortable I do think you will get used to them quite quickly and be very happy with your purchase...well that's my hope anyway. Looking forward to a mini review once you have had a few weeks with them ;)
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

Seagull S6 Original/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
monsterjazzlicks
Super Patch Creator
Super Patch Creator
Great Britain

Unread post by monsterjazzlicks » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:26 pm

Saul.

Yes, it's weird that Bose have such a good reputation for products, and are long established, but are clearly failing to adequately train their tech-staff in handling customer inquiries. A real disappointment as I was expecting them to be a cut above the rest.

I have decided to not purchase the Sennheisers after all. They lacked in two major factors for me; though they were good. I think the 'Bose SoundLink ii' are the neatest; it's just a shame you are pointed toward their forum to gain answers (only had one reply and that was pretty lousy!). If anyone has any idea what the 'Active EQ' is/does then I would be extremely grateful?

Ta,

Paul
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Great Britain

Unread post by parametric » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:30 am

I was recommended these by one of the BBC guys that taught Sound Recording at the Uni I worked at.

https://www.westenddj.co.uk/beyer-dt231 ... gLII_D_BwE

I'd asked the question about descent phones for DAW work, though I now use them with my 8HD.

They are light and comfortable - and NOT expensive . . Beyer's reputation speaks for itself

Though they are a long-time legacy model, spare pads are available still, I believe. . .

I bought mine off ebay as new-unused, and they were indeed still plastic wrapped . . .

At THAT price, it's got to be worth a punt . . .

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
monsterjazzlicks
Super Patch Creator
Super Patch Creator
Great Britain

Unread post by monsterjazzlicks » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:15 pm

Thanks Chris,

I have narrowed my choice down to 2 models:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... 1OLE&psc=1

https://www.bose.co.uk/en_gb/products/h ... lsrc=aw.ds

However, if the above are not suitable than I am going to go with 'wired' (probably he ones you mention to be honest). I can't be arsed driving myself mad trying to find a pair which will do everything I want (because I don't think they exist!). Yes, 'Beyer' are excellent, I agree. I have a pair of 'DT Pro 880' already and I lover them. Just too big to take outside/walking.

Ta,

Paul
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:45 pm

Those Sony MDR-ZX770BN headphones look good...probably a lot cheaper than the Bose ones too ;)
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

monsterjazzlicks
Super Patch Creator
Super Patch Creator
Great Britain

Unread post by monsterjazzlicks » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:56 pm

Saul wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:45 pm
Those Sony MDR-ZX770BN headphones look good...probably a lot cheaper than the Bose ones too ;)
Saul,

Yes, they are £80 cheaper!

But I am not sure where they are shipped from as, on Amazon, they take 2 to 3 weeks? Everything I ever bought on Amazon arrives within a couple of days.

Paul
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:08 pm

Argos are showing 2 day delivery

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/7156421
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

monsterjazzlicks
Super Patch Creator
Super Patch Creator
Great Britain

Unread post by monsterjazzlicks » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:13 pm

Thanks,

That's weird!?

I'll get Amazon to call me. Maybe there is a mistake. You can't try stuff out in Argos; but if you order off Amazon' you can test them and still have 28 days peace of mind.

Paul

Return to “Chill Out Room”