The EU and the new FILTER Uploads

Kick back and talk about anything here. Music or non Music related..Anything goes....within reason!

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

purcell
Germany

The EU and the new FILTER Uploads

Unread post by purcell » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:49 pm

The EU and the new FILTER Uploads (Quick INFO without warranty.)

The EU Parliament puts a veil on the Internet: vote for upload filter and ancillary copyright.

Although the legal process is not yet over:
Comprehensive filtering duties on the Internet are thus unfortunately decided thing.
The new copyright should be decided in eight months before the EU election.

The most controversial point of the reform:
According to Article 13 of the proposal, Internet platform operators must check in advance every image uploaded by users,
any sound recording and any video.
If the system shows copyright infringement, it must stop uploading.
This applies to providers such as Youtube and all other sites that offer user-generated content.
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Re: The EU and the new FILTER Uploads

Unread post by Saul » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:02 pm

purcell wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:49 pm
The EU and the new FILTER Uploads (Quick INFO without warranty.)

The EU Parliament puts a veil on the Internet: vote for upload filter and ancillary copyright.

Although the legal process is not yet over:
Comprehensive filtering duties on the Internet are thus unfortunately decided thing.
The new copyright should be decided in eight months before the EU election.

The most controversial point of the reform:
According to Article 13 of the proposal, Internet platform operators must check in advance every image uploaded by users,
any sound recording and any video.
If the system shows copyright infringement, it must stop uploading.
This applies to providers such as Youtube and all other sites that offer user-generated content.
Ahh yes! I was actually going to mention this one because although many people think it won't affect them...it will.

What this law essentially means is ANY image you post to a website or social media needs to go through a copyright filter first. You can imagine what a complete mess that is going to be? Not only will images that infringe copyright be caught but a lot of images OWNED by the poster will also be caught up in it.

For us it means we have to produce ALL our own images or seek permission from whoever the copyright holder is...if you can find out of course. And what about all the images that are already out there?

Now I completely agree that people should be properly compensated for their work but there has to be a better way that this. It is typical EU using a sledge hammer to crack a nut! Completely bonkers.
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC.

Seagull S6 Original/Harley Benton CLA-15MCE/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/GarageBand 10.0.3/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
Derek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Wales

Unread post by Derek » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:59 pm

Time to leave EU I think. How do we go about do that? ;)

PS: No, I don't want to tread over tired old ground again, given that everything that could be said about it has been said on this forum, but after a very, very long work day, dealing with some really moronic circumstances, I just couldn't myself when I read this! :mrgreen:
Regards
Derek Cook

http://www.carregddu.co.uk
http://www.echoes-music.co.uk
http://www.xfactory-librarians.co.uk
http://www.ex5tech.co.uk
purcell
Germany

Unread post by purcell » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:59 pm

Oettinger and Junker ((i)) - a real special melange! :mrgreen:

Given me "everlasting sommertime" :twisted: ! Junker: "You want that! We do that!" :lol: :lol: ... The very quick NEW EU! :lol:

And now it´s impossible to watch or upload a photo,video,audio?
Because "there are only 100 available"! All others are not allowed?
The future YOUTUBE drama - for free?

Hello! Does anybody "own" this photo on the planet...before or after 1850?

How long can they keep this crazy condition? "Filter Uploads" :roll: :twisted: :mrgreen: :evil: :?
Not to perform at all ... in daily life! This total, perfect over-control! CRAZY !!!
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:55 am

It's another case of the EU giving itself something to do. Given that most of the world's internet users are against this law you have to ask yourself why are they completely ignoring that and going ahead anyway? Who's internet is it after all?

The way things are going it would not surprise me at all if when we leave the EU we still adopt this law just so we don't annoy the rest of the club :/:
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

Seagull S6 Original/Harley Benton CLA-15MCE/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/GarageBand 10.0.3/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
Rara
Australia

Unread post by Rara » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:42 am

<gives a poke to australia> Sounds a bit like the opposite to Australia. "we" tried to block "illegal" downloads. now there is the netflix tax .... basically a tax on anything downloaded via what ever content providers. eg movies, mp3's, or anything else downloadable.

The internet service already has GST applied to it. a tax on downloads is like a tax on a tax. How are they (EU) seriously going to block uploads? who ever invented the zephyr algorithm is going to make some more money I think. If successful in the EU how long before the rest of the world follows suit?

Rara 0-)
Yamaha: SY35, SY77, SY85, TX7, PSR 4600 - Roland: Juno106, D110, MC307, MKB200 (x2)
Kawai: XD5 / Korg: Poly800Mk2 (moog slayer mod)
Casio: CZ1000, CZ5000, FZ-1 / E-MU: ESI 2000
Digitech studio 400 / Alesis SR-16 / Boss: Dr550mk2, SE-70
Tascam Porta 5 HS, MM1 / Studiomaster Fusion
Modded SX Bass, fat wires, Dimarzio DP250 pickups, Ernie Ball strings / Gliga 1
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:39 am

Rara wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:42 am
<gives a poke to australia> Sounds a bit like the opposite to Australia. "we" tried to block "illegal" downloads. now there is the netflix tax .... basically a tax on anything downloaded via what ever content providers. eg movies, mp3's, or anything else downloadable.

The internet service already has GST applied to it. a tax on downloads is like a tax on a tax. How are they (EU) seriously going to block uploads? who ever invented the zephyr algorithm is going to make some more money I think. If successful in the EU how long before the rest of the world follows suit?

Rara 0-)
They are always on the lookout for more ways to fleece us. Endless tax upon tax. There is only so much money any one person has and unless they are independently wealthy how many slices of the pie do you have to give away before you are left with nothing yourself?

I think we would all agree that artists no matter what genre they work in, should be compensated for their work but it is how to go about that which is the issue.

I can't help but wonder if there is not a darker side to laws like this? Governments love control and right now they have next to no control over the internet. THAT situation does not sit well with them at all. So now we are going to have an algorithm decide what we can and can't upload to the web? That kind of sounds like another surveillance tool to me.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

Rara
Australia

Unread post by Rara » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:41 pm

I am often reminded of a quote I read once a very long time ago which is still (i believe ) relevant today.
"The best way to take control over a people and control them utterly is to take a little of their freedom at a time, to erode their rights by a thousand tiny and almost imperceptible reductions. In this way the people will not see those rights and freedoms being removed until past the point at which those changes can be reversed." - Author Unknown
I continually reminded of George Orwell.
I can't help but wonder if there is not a darker side to laws like this? Governments love control and right now they have next to no control over the internet. THAT situation does not sit well with them at all. So now we are going to have an algorithm decide what we can and can't upload to the web? That kind of sounds like another surveillance tool to me.
To me this EU article 11 and 13 reads like censorship. I think your spot on, with it being a surveillance tool as well.

Also someone like my self who has recorded a few cover songs, can't upload to youtube as it is now (even a few years ago),
because of the detection algorithm's used.
At the same time there is no way of informing youtube that you had (or have) rights clearance to do so, having previously paid clearance fees to
do it all above board. If it can't be done now it'll be next to impossible in the future.

Enjoy the internet while we still have it.

Rara 0-)
Yamaha: SY35, SY77, SY85, TX7, PSR 4600 - Roland: Juno106, D110, MC307, MKB200 (x2)
Kawai: XD5 / Korg: Poly800Mk2 (moog slayer mod)
Casio: CZ1000, CZ5000, FZ-1 / E-MU: ESI 2000
Digitech studio 400 / Alesis SR-16 / Boss: Dr550mk2, SE-70
Tascam Porta 5 HS, MM1 / Studiomaster Fusion
Modded SX Bass, fat wires, Dimarzio DP250 pickups, Ernie Ball strings / Gliga 1

Return to “Chill Out Room”