"Happy" Sojus MS-10 Emergency

Kick back and talk about anything here. Music or non Music related..Anything goes....within reason!

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

purcell
Germany

Unread post by purcell » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:58 pm

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Re: "Happy" Sojus MS-10 Emergency

Unread post by Saul » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:55 pm

Happy? Well..happy the crew landed safely that's for sure. It could have been a very different story given that this was the only time in spaceflight history that a launch abort system had been used with a crew onboard the spacecraft.
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC.

Seagull S6 Original/Harley Benton CLA-15MCE/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/GarageBand 10.0.3/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
purcell
Germany

Unread post by purcell » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:29 am

"Happy" means: the crew has survived and is healthy!

Gene Kranz (NASA Flight Director):
Any mission (no matter how it has ended) with living astronauts ... was a good mission!
For example Apollo 13 !

According to statements by Prof.Dr.Walter (German astronaut),
the probability of a "Soyuz defect, fatal error, etc is 1 to 200/300.

Walter: "And now that was one of the 200/300!"
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:38 am

Thanks for clarifying that Purcell :)

It was indeed a great day because the crew survived. We do need better escape systems for crews though. If survivability is almost guaranteed, confidence in manned space flight increases and perhaps we can move forward much faster than we are at the moment.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

Seagull S6 Original/Harley Benton CLA-15MCE/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/GarageBand 10.0.3/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
purcell
Germany

Unread post by purcell » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:17 pm

Info!
At the moment, the Soyuz rockets, are the only ones to "supply" the ISS.
With astronauts and everything else.
There are no other rockets for the ISS! Now.

The Russians have canceled all Soyuz starts - until everything is investigated. (December 2018?)
The ISS can get by with the existing food until Easter 2019.
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:41 pm

I would have thought now would be a very good time for everyone else to step up and stop relying on the Russians to supply the ISS? Seems incredible to me that the rest of the world has just sat back and let Russia take over supplying the ISS. Where is SpaceX, Boeing, Virgin and all the others who have been working on launch vehicles?
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

Derek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Wales

Unread post by Derek » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:31 pm

It is absurd we ended up in this situation. Soviet space technology is archaic, mostly that is because of under investment, but also because the soviets approach to space tech was to develop it until it worked and then they stopped.

I was thinking about it the other day with the reports of the Hubble now starting to fail (it only has a few working gyros left). It occurred to me that we have no way to visit and repair it like when they fixed the focusing issue. That relied on having a shuttle type craft. There is a planned replacement for Hubble but it’s no good spending billions on it and than have it fail with no means of repair.
Regards
Derek Cook

http://www.carregddu.co.uk
http://www.echoes-music.co.uk
http://www.xfactory-librarians.co.uk
http://www.ex5tech.co.uk
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:04 pm

Exactly. We have the James Webb telescope supposedly going up in what, 2021 now? That is about 5 years behind schedule and the cost increased substantially...of course. So what is the point of spending billions on that if we put it up there, it goes wrong as it inevitably will and then we have no way to go up and fix it? Is ANYONE using their common sense in all this or is it all just a smoke screen for a handful of people to skim a load of money off the top?

It amazes me that I sat on the sofa with my dear departed father when I was 8 years old and watched a man land on the moon...in 1969! Yet here we are nearly 50 years later and we struggle to get payloads and astronauts to the ISS which at it's furthest is just 270 miles from Earth? 8O

What the hell have they all been doing for the last half a century? :/:
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

Derek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Wales

Unread post by Derek » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:07 pm

A Cold War space race was the mother of invention.....
Regards
Derek Cook

http://www.carregddu.co.uk
http://www.echoes-music.co.uk
http://www.xfactory-librarians.co.uk
http://www.ex5tech.co.uk
tux
Kiribati

Unread post by tux » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:36 pm

Saul wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:04 pm
What the hell have they all been doing for the last half a century? :/:
Our governments have mostly spent the last 50 years waging wars to please multinational corporations and us commoners have been voting for these corrupt politicians who start these senseless wars. :roll:

Imagine if all that research and development of instruments of war had gone into space tech instead....
My Yamaha RM50 page
My Yamaha synths: RM50, TG77, TG500, EX5R, CS6R (with PLG150-AN and PLG150-DX)
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:45 pm

That's the sad thing about all of it. How much further ahead we would be in both space tech and medicine if we combined and ploughed our resources into those things rather than developing yet more ways with which to destroy ourselves and the only home we have got. It all comes down to GREED. :(
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

purcell
Germany

Unread post by purcell » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:22 am

Where did we arrive :?: :?: :?:

The big show! = moon landing is long over!
Millions and Billions for that! And it was ok!
This, however made groundbreaking, stunning findings.

The complete ISS supply depends exclusively on the Soyuz rockets!
The old workhorse of the Russians.
Alexander Gerst may need to stay 2-3 months longer in the ISS.
Lack of active - ready to use - supply rockets.

The US has almost nothing left of usable rockets. Neither for the ISS nor for the Hubble telescope.

That's the condition!

The whole thing reminds me of Yamaha and the others (Roland etc.). Delay of the future?
Modern rockets, transport systems, very safe, modern car ride, end of car rage !, ... and, and, and ...!
Where is that?
Delay of future?...

Everywhere only patchwork ... and that for decades?
Nothing has happened since 2010! And little before that!

The way of Yamaha since the MOX! ... is unique!
And that of the others (Roland etc.) too!

Honest and really: The next "YAMAHA" can only be something really new. And I had to wait now for it "10 years"?
Although I know by now, there will not be a HYPERsynth!
Because - after that - you can not develop anything "better".

It would be Yamaha's last synth. For it can hardly be any better.
And to build and sell something like that would be utterly illogical!
There will never be a HYPERsynth. :mrgreen:

However, I always thought: technological advancements, modernization, etc. can not be ignored by Yamaha forever.
At the currently usable rockets ... I see that even the US and others are sleeping! For years, decades?

Concept, expectation (Future!) and reality are very often completely different.

That was my lesson on all the topics! Synths - Rockets - Cars - passenger transportation etc. etc.

There is something new! "NO RAIN!!!" in "Germany" since MARCH 2018!
The driest summer and autum of all time in Germany!
And currently "Italy" is dangerous for the EU! "Play money"!
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Great Britain

Unread post by parametric » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:50 am

Well, we're supposed to have ~20 Million Years before the Sun becomes a Red Giant and consumes the inner Planets,

including us . . . So instead of bickering over which deity is the "Right One" and which bit of land belongs to who,

we ought to get our arses in gear and start looking out there for somewhere to live -

(that is if we WANT humanity to survive beyond that time . . . . ?)

Otherwise, ALL we are and ALL we have achieved will be atomised, and we'll have to go round the evolution loop again -

provided the star-nurseries happen to produce another Blue Planet - and place it somewhere sensible . . . . :roll:

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:29 am

We are an odd species. We can do so many wonderful things and at the same time be completely self destructive. We have one home in the universe..so far anyway and what do we do with it? We crap in our own back yard. Its a complete tragedy what we have done to our beautiful planet Earth and continue doing even though we know what the consequences will be.

Not only that but I would guess the vast majority of people don't even realise that as humans we may be pretty static on Earth but the planet itself is anything but. We are on what amounts to a very large space ship hurtling around the sun at approx 67,000 mph! As if that is not enough the whole solar system is also moving through the galaxy at around 515,000 mph. Consequently were we to hit anything larger than say 10km in size it would be extremely bad news for all of us...not that this is likely to happen any time soon of course but hey, you never know!

So with all that going on I would say the impetus for us to stop bickering over who owns what small patch of dirt or who's god is the real one...and don't get me started on that one! we should be pooling our resources and concentrate our efforts on getting off this planet and finding new viable alternatives. Will that happen though? I doubt it. We seem intent on a path of self annihilation, its in our nature :(
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

purcell
Germany

Unread post by purcell » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:40 am

20 million years ... is too far in the future!

The Earth is (possibly) in the most dangerous phases of the entire planetary history!
If the Earth and Earth atmosphere continues to "overheat" and thereby exceed the tipping point, no life will be possible here!
No matter for what reasons.

Similar to Venus, then here are counted on the earth 210 degrees Celcius.
At these temperatures, the earth also loses (all?) the water.

The biggest problem is the speed, at which the earth warms up.

It behaves like a normal planet - under such conditions. "Venus Two!"

The earth has already experienced - everything possible and impossible!
But it was never about "sudden" events. Sudden rise of temperatur!

The asteroid strikes and Permian mass extinction (etc.) have seriously threatened life on the planet.
And will continue to do so.

Neither Mars nor other planets - ever will be habitable for humans.
Even exoplanets, other suns will never be entered by humans.

Quite simple reasons: Man has evolved evolutionarily through the earth and adapted it exactly.

Mars is a desert planet - without a magnetic field (Therefore it lost all his water).
Has much less gravity than the earth! Uninhabitable!

The trips to exoplanets and other suns are absurd!
Unimaginable distances! Unimaginable travel times!
--------------------------------
In fact, Proxima Centauri is only 4.24 light-years - that's about 40 billion kilometers - from our sun.
No other sun is closer to the earth; the Exoplanet Proxima b is our next neighbor in space.

40'000 years only for the outward flight :!: :!: :!:

The next exoplanet Travel time 40000 years - One way ticket! Have lots of fun with it!

All other discovered exoplanets are even further away!

Nobody will ever enter an exoplanet! It is absolutely safe!

Once again! Man was born on earth ... and made only for this earth! He can not go anywhere else! No way!

"getting off this planet" is not possible! Never ever! ...I'll bet my house on that!
Last edited by purcell on Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:53 am, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “Chill Out Room”