Yesss! We made it!

Kick back and talk about anything here. Music or non Music related..Anything goes....within reason!

Moderators: parametric, Derek, Saul

shelly0624
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

VIP

Re: Yesss! We made it!

Unread post by shelly0624 »

I think it's creepy when they go into your personal FB messages and censor. While I don't send political or controversial material, (videos, etc) ...I sometimes receive personal POV posts from FB friends---nothing radical or over-the-top. I wonder how in the world FB is allowed to dig into my privacy and censor messages from my friends. (Usually, the ones who tend to be Republicans). I don't choose to get tangled up in politics or most heavy topics online... (life is stressful enough) but I've seen some truly offensive things on FB. They let those slide. It makes me wonder how they decide what is objectionable and what is not...

And what are they doing in my private messages?! :angry-tappingfoot:

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

Yep, it is incredibly frustrating and makes you wonder if you should be using Facebook at all :think:

No doubt there is something in the reams of small print in the user agreement that lets them basically, do whatever they want. It is the price we pay for using a "free" social media platform. For some that price will be too high but most will never even notice a problem...until it happens to them of course.

Even with a "paid" service, we can end up giving our personal data away.

This is why forums like ours are so important. Yes, you do need to register here and provide an email address BUT, that is never shared with anyone. And although I do have some legal liability for things posted to the forum, it is at least us lot that moderates and not some anonymous machine algorithm that completely ignores context.

I can see people moving away from sites like FB. It is deliberately damaging its own user base by its intrusiveness and heavy-handed approach to moderating.

For now, though, it does still send a few people here who would otherwise not have known we exist. So as long as it is useful I will keep using it.

Saul
Site Admin

Brand Ambassador For Dowina Guitars
Acoustic Guitar Reviews On Facebook
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Please Note: This site is at times supported by Amazon Associate and other affiliate links. Any links in my posts may lead to products on the Amazon website or other vendors websites. These will not incur any extra cost to you but may help support the running costs of the site via the generation of a small commission should you choose to purchase a product.
shelly0624
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

VIP

I would have to say that the FB advantage for me is staying in touch with family and friends as little or as much as I want. I've been connecting with friends from high school lately. They've been showing up in my feed. (People I know who have kept contact with them all of these years). That's pretty cool. I actually liked MySpace better because I could creatively design my own page... (wallpaper, song list and stuff). It was like welcoming people into my little world, (mine was a rainforest) .... but everybody made the migration to Facebook so they weren't using MySpace anymore.

monsterjazzlicks
Super Patch Creator
Super Patch Creator

Unread post by monsterjazzlicks »

Hi,

I only FB joined last year because I was no longer able to visit my two ex-composition tutors due to lockdown. One is 73 and the other 82, so obviously they could not risk being around anyone who was not immediate family! Anyway, I can chat to them for free via FBs audio call facility - we never use the video option. Receiving composition lessons this way is great, I have to say.

Ta,

Paul

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

Google Workspace will be making inroads into FB, Zoom, MS Teams etc now that it is free for all users.
https://www.itpro.co.uk/software/google ... r-everyone

It is particularly useful for video chats, messaging and collaborative working. It is not a "social media" platform in the sense that it doesn't have pages and groups full of complete and utter nonsense but that may be a good thing :)

I notice that LinkedIn is turning into a sort of Facebook for business users these days. Where it used to be purely for networking with others in your business niche, it has now become a platform for endless drivel and over the top advertising. Pointless!

Saul
Site Admin

Follow Us On Facebook

Please Note: This site is at times supported by Amazon Associate and other affiliate links. Any links in my posts may lead to products on the Amazon website or other vendors websites. These will not incur any extra cost to you but may help support the running costs of the site via the generation of a small commission should you choose to purchase a product.
monsterjazzlicks
Super Patch Creator
Super Patch Creator

Saul wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:33 am I notice that LinkedIn is turning into a sort of Facebook for business users these days. Where it used to be purely for networking with others in your business niche, it has now become a platform for endless drivel and over the top advertising. Pointless!
I left Linked In about 2 years ago. I found it to be a bit silly in that everyone seemed to be wanting to attain as many 'friends' as possible. Linked In would sent me countless meaningless 'suggestions' of members whom it thought I would want to be 'connected' to.
Last edited by monsterjazzlicks on Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

Exactly, AND they want to charge you £49.99 per month for the privilege! :o

I have made my contact list private now so people can no longer just connect with me to use my contacts, which is what almost everyone does. Really you should only ever connect with people who want to talk to YOU. 99% just connect and then you never hear from them. That is a complete waste of time.

Same with Facebook. I don't accept friends requests from anyone unless I either know them and talk to them regularly or they message and tell me why they want to connect.

Saul
Site Admin

Follow Us On Facebook

monsterjazzlicks
Super Patch Creator
Super Patch Creator

Saul wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:52 pm Exactly, AND they want to charge you £49.99 per month for the privilege! :o

I have made my contact list private now so people can no longer just connect with me to use my contacts, which is what almost everyone does. Really you should only ever connect with people who want to talk to YOU. 99% just connect and then you never hear from them. That is a complete waste of time.

Same with Facebook. I don't accept friends requests from anyone unless I either know them and talk to them regularly or they message and tell me why they want to connect.
I am in complete agreeance here, Saul.

I don't see any point whatsoever in having umpteen fair-weathered friends in Timbuctoo.

Any yes, people seem to be quite happy to PAY for the privilege of connecting!

shelly0624
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

VIP

Linkedin was going after my friends. People I knew were getting notices from them. I received an unhappy phone call. My sister-in-law doesn't belong to any social media and she is adamant about that. She also doesn't own a business. I don't know how, but she got an email invitation to join, using my name somehow. I don't really know how that happened, but she was hacked off because she thought I gave them her email address. I don't know how they got it, but I had to convince her (after she cooled off) that I didn't send them to her. I originally belonged to them because I was selling my handmade jewelry. I un-joined because they offended my sister-in-law and because it was becoming really intrusive. And for a while, I didn't hear anything. But they started sending me emails again, as if I had never unsubscribed. If I had a serious business, Linkedin would probably be useful and I know there is a valid advantage to networking, but these guys are like the Hounds of Heck!! :lol:

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

Yes, LinkedIn is starting to spread way beyond their original remit. Since Microsoft bought LinkedIn back in 2017 we have seen this slow march towards intrusive advertising, constant pestering about "upgrading" your free account and, as you mentioned Shelly, the use of your details to target family and friends.

That tie-up with Microsoft is likely how your sister's email was used.

Shelly, did you unsubscribe or "close" your account? If you simply unsubscribe, all your data is still there. If you close your account, most of it is removed. I say "most" because it is not entirely clear what they keep.

It is getting to the point now where so much of our data is held by so many organisations that it is almost impossible to remove it all. Even government departments "sell" our data to third party companies!

You can easily see why people go "off-grid" (Y)

Saul
Site Admin

Follow Us On Facebook

monsterjazzlicks
Super Patch Creator
Super Patch Creator

Saul wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:02 am Shelly, did you unsubscribe or "close" your account? If you simply unsubscribe, all your data is still there. If you close your account, most of it is removed. I say "most" because it is not entirely clear what they keep.
Saul is correct here, Shelly. Unsubscribe AND close down the account, deleting anything and everything offered in the check-boxes.

monsterjazzlicks
Super Patch Creator
Super Patch Creator

Saul wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:02 am It is getting to the point now where so much of our data is held by so many organisations that it is almost impossible to remove it all. Even government departments "sell" our data to third party companies!
My sister photocopied a form for me today which you can complete and submit to your GP. It's to prevent our medical data being sold to USA! The whole 'data' thing is snowballing uncontrollably now.

https://medconfidential.org/how-to-opt-out/

Kay_B

Unread post by Kay_B »

monsterjazzlicks wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:44 pm
Saul wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:02 am It is getting to the point now where so much of our data is held by so many organisations that it is almost impossible to remove it all. Even government departments "sell" our data to third party companies!
My sister photocopied a form for me today which you can complete and submit to your GP. It's to prevent our medical data being sold to USA! The whole 'data' thing is snowballing uncontrollably now.

https://medconfidential.org/how-to-opt-out/
The problem is that this spread of data cannot be stopped in any way, since we transfer our personal information to so many organizations and structures. The same Google knows all our interests, stores in the account the topics of everything that you have ever searched for. Of course, you can regularly cleanse this data, but all the same, the history will be filled and it is not a fact that somewhere there is no backup copy after deleting interests from your account. Even the GPS trackers that we regularly use collect all possible information about us. But it is impossible to refuse them if you have to travel a lot, especially in a big city or to neighboring cities. My job involves travel, so I voluntarily installed Optimus Tracker GPS so I don't get lost anywhere. Well, now he is an additional source of information about me.

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

It is not so much that companies track our activities. Often many of the services we use simply will not function without some form of tracking. The problem is when our data is not held securely.

Companies regularly get hacked. We only hear about a small percentage of data breaches but they are going on daily. Not only that but some companies share our data with others and often sell it to marketing firms. THAT is where the genie is well and truly out of the bottle. Without completely changing your identity and going "off-grid" there is precious little we can do to stem the tide.

Saul
Site Admin

Follow Us On Facebook

tux

Unread post by tux »

Saul wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:45 amOften many of the services we use simply will not function without some form of tracking.
In that case I would ask myself if I really need that service.
I was a mobile phone addict until 2009, but then I realised that I have no real need to be contactable while out and about so I still take a phone with me for emergencies but it's switched off, I only switch it on in the rare situations that I have to make a call.

Also I never got a smartphone as I have no need for internet access when I'm not at home and smartphones are nothing but tracking devices on steroids, most apps are simply an excuse to collect data about the user.

RM50 Manager - Yamaha RM50 patch editor
My Yamaha synths: RM50, TG77, TG500, CS6R (with PLG150-AN and PLG150-DX)