GEM Equinox System Exclusive documentation

GeneralMusic Forum - From the WK series to the GEM S2/S2 Turbo/S3/S3 Turbo, Equinox and Genesys. It all goes here.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

Mercurion

GEM Equinox System Exclusive documentation

Unread post by Mercurion » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:12 pm

I'm trying to find the System Exclusive documentation for the GEM Equinox but haven't found it yet.

In the Owner's manual there's just the MIDI Implementation Chart but no documentation about using System Exclusive.

Maybe at some point in the past there was such documentation and someone still has it?
FYI: The owner's manual of the SK760/880 does contain about 20 pages with System Exclusive information

It would be very usefull to have it so I can program my Peavey PC1600x controller and, if it's not to hard, create an librarion/editor for the Equinox.

Luc
Yamaha Motif XF8, Yamaha S90XS, GEM Equinox 76, Roland D50
Narfman96

Re: GEM Equinox System Exclusive documentation

Unread post by Narfman96 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:01 am

I have an Equinox-76 and it's quite a beast. Each sysex dump for a sound is 6k. That is a lot of parameters to edit. An example is the envelopes can have up to 21 segments. What synth has those capabilities??? I have a lot of docs including the service manual but I've never seen the full sysex implementation. Other than whats in the SK manual. These are amazing synths but one can get lost for hours in editing sounds. I attached a few sounds I created. Lots of rez and moving multi-segmented envelopes.

I have an internal 2gb hard drive and the SCSI expansion. The sample ram is fully expanded to 32mb. I tried to install a 2gb compact flash in place of the hard drive. The flash adapter worked but then I could not access the floppy drive. I didn't mess with it beyond that. When I bought it the battery was leaking and the midi I/O board had several bad traces. It was an easy fix but I have another Eqx-76 where the battery ruined the main board. I also installed a remote mounted NiMH battery so this can't happen again.

Good luck with your search. GEM usually will respond if you ask them for help. Fran
Attachments
Equinox Sysex Dumps.zip
4 demo sounds I made using segments and loops in the envelopes.
(9.77 KiB) Downloaded 131 times
db7

Unread post by db7 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:54 pm

Narfman96 wrote:I have an Equinox-76 and it's quite a beast. Each sysex dump for a sound is 6k. That is a lot of parameters to edit.
OK, wow! I’m in the process of trying to program support for SysEx from the SY99/SY77/TG77, and even though Yamaha provide documentation that could be considered ample, if not easily digestible, even a simple 1AFM voice of 466 bytes has been a big challenge for this novice. I can’t begin to imagine having to deal with 13× that much data, even if I were more invested with the necessary programming skills!

Anyway, Mercurion, good luck with your project, which sounds like a worthy cause and will surely be appreciated by other users too. I hope you don’t end up having to reverse-engineer it by starting from an initialised voice, changing one parameter at a time, and checking the tiny differences… :? Good luck either way. ;)
Mercurion

Unread post by Mercurion » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:29 am

Seems I have 'some' work to do :mrgreen:

I don't think that GEM will respond as they no longer exist.
(maybe a former employee/engineer)
Yamaha Motif XF8, Yamaha S90XS, GEM Equinox 76, Roland D50
Narfman96

Unread post by Narfman96 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:34 pm

Hi again Luc,

Did you try any of the sounds I uploaded? I can see there isn't a lot of Eqx users out there... The file was only downloaded once. One more question. Do you have any sounds that you've programmed?

I was talking to GEM USA and the online forum but not after they took the community down. Too bad. I also got the Italian site to respond but it was very limited.

Have a good one, Fran

Return to “GeneralMusic Forum - GEM S2, S3, WK, Equinox and Genesys”