Yamaha PSR-SX900 - A Mini Genos?

Based on the PSR-S series, the SX series models have been completely redesigned and come with a wide array of exciting new features for even more playing, composition and songwriting possibilities.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul, SeaGtGruff

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location.: UK, West Sussex

Yamaha PSR-SX900 - A Mini Genos?

Unread post by Saul »

yamaha-psr-sx900.jpg
The new Yamaha PSR-SX range is finally with us and some new videos have just been posted which give a glimpse of what it looks and sounds like.

Some have called the PSR-SX900 in particular a "mini genos" but I really don't think it is that. Certainly there are genos influences. We know tech from the top end always filters down over time but for me at least these new keyboards...there are three by the way, are an evolution of the PSR rather than a cut down Genos.

Full Story Here
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Saul
Site Admin

Appreciate the forum? Buy me a coffeeImage
Acoustic Guitar Reviews On Facebook
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Please Note: This site is at times supported by Amazon Associate and other affiliate links. Any links in my posts may lead to products on the Amazon website or other vendors websites. These will not incur any extra cost to you but may help support the running costs of the site via the generation of a small commission should you choose to purchase a product.
Shop Solid Top Guitars Starting at $295
SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: SC, USA

Re: Yamaha PSR-SX900 - A Mini Genos?

Unread post by SeaGtGruff »

Do we know that the PSR-SX300 is really a thing? The earliest rumors showed a picture of the PSR-SX900 but erroneously described it as the PSR-SX300 because the "9" looked a bit like a "3" in the blurry photo, but as far as I know there's been no official word from Yamaha which suggests any models besides the PSR-SX700 and PSR-SX900.

By the way, the new keyboards are available for pre-order already, with expected ship dates of around September 6, at least in the USA.

Michael Rideout
Current keyboards: Yamaha YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443, PSR-EW400, MX49 BK
Current controllers: M-Audio Axiom 61-II
Previous keyboards: Farfisa Matador 611; Casio CTK-710
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

It's a good point Michael. Can't say for sure because Yamaha didn't give me any info. I had to gather this together myself. However it would make sense to have three new PSR's because the previous line were the 670, 775 and 975.

You can pre order the PSR-SX900 here in the UK at the moment for £2000 so pricing seems to be about right.

Saul
Site Admin

Follow Us On Facebook

Please Note: This site is at times supported by Amazon Associate and other affiliate links. Any links in my posts may lead to products on the Amazon website or other vendors websites. These will not incur any extra cost to you but may help support the running costs of the site via the generation of a small commission should you choose to purchase a product.
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

Official Press Release and as you mentioned Michael, no SX300 here.

Yamaha today debuted the PSR-SX700 and PSR-SX900, two 61-key Arranger Workstation keyboards for composing, arranging and playing confidently out at gigs.

These elegant, all-in-one instruments, which replace the PSR-S775 and PSR-S975 respectively, inherit inspiring content and powerful features from Genos, the world’s most advanced Digital Workstation keyboard. Just as Genos set a new standard when it was introduced by the company last year, the new mid-priced keyboards are poised to raise the bar for workstations at more affordable price points, making it even easier to streamline creative flow, transform musical ideas into fully-arranged productions, and to recall them at the touch of a button.

How an Arranger Workstation sounds, and the ease with which the user can control these sounds, are critical considerations to the creative process. The PSR-SX700 and PSR-SX900 offer unmatched ultrarealistic and expressive Super Articulation Voices, with greater real-time control over a performance than other similarly-priced keyboards on the market today.

Both share a brilliant 7-inch TFT touch screen that incorporates the same intuitive graphic user interface offered on Genos, allowing users to easily navigate Voice and Style assignments, as well as assess and adjust other settings.

Six new assignable controller buttons have been added beneath the touch screen, each of which can be assigned a desired function. Simply pressing the button during a performance or composing/arranging session enables the user to jump directly to relevant controls in the display.

A new joystick controller with modulation hold opens up expressive possibilities and is ideally suited for almost every genre of music.

Built-in content from the Yamaha Voice & Style Expansion library provides instant access to a huge variety of international content. Expansion memory size has been greatly increased in both keyboards—to 400MB in the PSR-SX700, 1GB in the PSR-SX900—allowing users to further customize their instrument by adding their choice of content from YamahaMusicSoft.com

New Voices and DSP have also been added, inherited from Genos. To complete the creative process, arrangements made with the 16-track recorder/player can be output as studio-quality WAV audio files to play back on smart devices or computers.

The PSR-SX900, which incorporates a newly-designed, bi-amped speaker system with a wide stereo audio field, is the new flagship of the PSR-SX line. It boasts 4GB of internal memory, 1337 instrument Voices, 56 Drum/SFX kits, and 480 XG Voices, as well as 329 Multi Pad banks. To ensure silky-smooth, high-quality sound, the DAC (Digital Audio Converter) on this keyboard has been upgraded to 32-bit, the same as those found in Genos and in the top-of-the-line Yamaha MONTAGE synthesizer.

Other new features in this model include 8 insert effect slots, a Chord Looper function, Bluetooth audio, Main L&R line outputs, plus Sub L&R line outputs and two USB to device ports.

The PSR-SX700 includes many of the same features at a lower price point, and boasts 1GB of internal memory, 986 instrument Voices, 41 Drum/SFX kits and 480 XG Voices, as well as 5 insert effect slots, 226 Multi Pad banks, Main L&R line outputs and one USB to device port.

“Performers and writers will be very impressed with the breadth of new content, customizability and expandability found in these keyboards,” said Ben Harrison, marketing manager, Digital Piano & Portable Keyboard, Yamaha Corporation of America. “The PSR-SX series represents some of the most powerful songwriting tools around. Using these keyboards, songwriters can get from an idea to a fully arranged demo faster than ever, and performers can get the room moving in no time.”

As with their predecessors, both new keyboards can be used with the optional Yamaha KS-SW100 subwoofer, which makes the already powerful onboard speaker systems sound even bigger.

Pricing and Availability
The Yamaha PSR-SX900 (MSRP $2,799) and PSR-SX700 (MSRP $1,999) are expected to ship in October 2019.
For more information visit https://yamaha.io/2FzWQkL

Saul
Site Admin

Follow Us On Facebook

EB5AGV

Unread post by EB5AGV »

I still think these are mini-Genos and even Yamaha remarks the heritage quite a bit.

All in all, I hope the new features on SX will translate also to Genos in software 2.0 :dance:

Jose Gavila

Yamaha U3H, DX7, TX81Z, DX11, 5x SY77, 2x TG77, SY99, SPX990, SY85, A3000, 2x AN1x, EX5, 2x EX5R, EX7, FS1R, MOTIF RACK XS, MOX8, 2x Montage 6 (B & WH), Genos (and 1992' FJ1200 :mrgreen: )

Akai S5000
Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Pigments 2, Analog Lab 4
Casio CT-X5000
Kawai K1, K1-II, VPC1
Korg M1, Wavestation, X3, Triton Rack, Triton Le 76, TR Rack
Modartt Pianoteq 6 Standard
NI Komplete 12 Ultimate Collectors Edition, Maschine Mk3, Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk2
Novation Xio 25
Roland D-50, JV-1080, U-220, XV-3080, XV-5080
Steinberg CC121, Cubase Pro 10.5, The Grand 3
StudioLogic SL88 Studio
UVI Key Suite Bundle Edition, String Machines 2
VI LabsModern U, Ravenscroft 275
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

Well yes they keep mentioning Genos which of course is all part of the marketing, pretty much in the same way as they always mentioned Tyros 5 when promoting the PSR S970.

Compare the SX900 with the previous S970 and you soon see that we are talking incremental upgrades not anything revolutionary.

Which of course is not to say they are not nice keyboards but I would have preferred the styling of the Genos to have been brought to the whole PSR line. Right now the SX900 looks like a PSR E463 with more functions and for the price it really needs to be a little more slick than that. Just my personal opinion of course and I am sure others will be more than happy with it.

Saul
Site Admin

Follow Us On Facebook

anon125

Unread post by anon125 »

in which countries are they made?
thanks

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

anon125 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:40 am in which countries are they made?
thanks
I am pretty sure they are made in China. Most of Yamaha's output these days is made there.

Saul
Site Admin

Follow Us On Facebook

anon125

Unread post by anon125 »

one guy at yamaha thought it was made in malaysia
thanks

Rattler

Unread post by Rattler »

Hi !.. Being a new psr900 owner..please will someone tell me if I can record onto Wavepad using a USB a and a USB b lead .. if so can I record both audio and midi ?.
I need to get the nearest to pristine recorded sounds from the Grand Piano program and see Wavepad as a possible route !.

As a new member of the forum.. Thanks for having me !. I look forward to using it's boards on a regular basis !..

SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: SC, USA

Unread post by SeaGtGruff »

I was starting to answer your PM, but will reply here instead.

As far as I can tell from what owners have said, and from the specifications on Yamaha's website, the PSR-SX900 does not have a built-in USB audio interface, so if you want to record on your computer then you'll need to use an audio connection-- that is, an audio cable, either a TRS cable plugged into the L+R audio jack, or a pair of TS cables plugged into the separate L and R audio jacks. You could either connect the keyboard directly to your computer, or connect it to a USB audio interface and then connect the interface to your computer with a USB cable.

However, if you don't mind recording on the keyboard then I think the way to get the cleanest, best possible audio recording of your PSR-SX900 would be to record to WAV files (not MP3 files) on a USB flash drive. Then you can transfer the USB flash drive to your computer and load the WAV files into WavePad or other audio editing software.

Michael Rideout
Current keyboards: Yamaha YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443, PSR-EW400, MX49 BK
Current controllers: M-Audio Axiom 61-II
Previous keyboards: Farfisa Matador 611; Casio CTK-710
Rattler

Unread post by Rattler »

SGG !!..

Thanks for this information... I shall dash post haste to the 900 and act upon it.. Lord knows I've got the time !..
I'll probably be back with another headache.. ...til then Stay Safe and well !!.

A.