$699 Medeli AKX-10 Better Than A Yamaha PSR SX900?

Any keyboard/synth not covered by a dedicated section.

Moderators: parametric, Derek, Saul

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: $699 Medeli AKX-10 Better Than A Yamaha PSR SX900?

Unread post by Saul »

I can't find one for sale anywhere in the UK. Bax Shop is really an EU company with an office address in the UK.

It does "appear" to be a good value for money keyboard, but as I say, the PSR SX600 is also very good value for money. I think it is just £623 at GAK right now.

Saul
Site Admin

Brand Ambassador For Dowina Guitars
Acoustic Guitar Reviews On Facebook
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Please Note: This site is at times supported by Amazon Associate and other affiliate links. Any links in my posts may lead to products on the Amazon website or other vendors websites. These will not incur any extra cost to you but may help support the running costs of the site via the generation of a small commission should you choose to purchase a product.
Shop Solid Top Guitars Starting at $295
pologuy

Unread post by pologuy »

Saul wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 6:39 pm I can't find one for sale anywhere in the UK. Bax Shop is really an EU company with an office address in the UK.

It does "appear" to be a good value for money keyboard, but as I say, the PSR SX600 is also very good value for money. I think it is just £623 at GAK right now.
PSR 600 still $1,000 here in the US...

Only 128 polyphony vs. 256 on the Medeli
Only 4.3" display vs. 7" on Medeli
Only 2 speakers and 30 watts vs 4 speakers and 80 watts for the Medeli

Etc, etc. etc. :)

Looks like Medeli is bringing its A-game!

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

Yeah but as we all know, specs are one thing, reality is another?

I got a guitar in for review last week. The spec is impressive given its low price and the marketing makes it sound like the perfect guitar for someone just starting out or not looking to spend much money. The reality is anything but! More about that in an upcoming video but, yes if the claims for the Medeli AKX-10 bear fruit it will indeed be something special. I need to see it and play it first though, and right now that looks like a remote possibility :(

Saul
Site Admin

Follow Us On Facebook

Please Note: This site is at times supported by Amazon Associate and other affiliate links. Any links in my posts may lead to products on the Amazon website or other vendors websites. These will not incur any extra cost to you but may help support the running costs of the site via the generation of a small commission should you choose to purchase a product.
Kramapple

Unread post by Kramapple »

I have owned a few Yamahas, and I record the strings for “Christmas is Blue,” on my YPG 235. For me sound is a very subjective concept, and I am glad to see Medeli entering into the fold as both Yamaha and Korg do charge way to much for basic functions on their keyboards. That is Yamaha does not offer a reasonably priced descent keyboard for under $4,000., and although you can pay half and get way more value for your dollar for a PA 1000, you are still paying over $2,000 for a decent keyboard Arranger for gigs. Both Yamaha and Korg need to pay attention to Medeli, and drastically cut their prices, offer better functions, and consider more the $1,000 range customer, as their are way more of us, than there are keyboardist that can afford to spend over $2,000.

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

It's an interesting conversation about whether something costs too much or not.

Sometimes it is about quality vs quantity. One keyboard might have 500 presets and another has 1000 but, if those extra 500 sounds are made up of repetitive variations of acoustic and electric pianos, brass, world instruments and so on but the "variations" are not quite as varied as you might expect then perhaps it is better to pay more for the one with 500 presets than the one with 1000?

Spec sheets can give the impression that you are getting more for your money but they don't tell about quality or ease of use?

Are Yamaha keyboards overpriced? Patently not for the people who buy them and certainly when you look at instruments like the latest PSR-E373 which in the UK can be picked up right now for as little as £160 I would say that is excellent value for money?

The nearest Yamaha competitor to the Medeli AKX-10, just going on spec is the PSR-SX700 which you can probably get for just under a grand. That is still almost £400 more than the AKX-10. However, you also need to factor in things like the enormous styles libraries available for the Yamaha, the build quality and the customer service. Is that worth £400 extra to someone? It will be for many.

It all rests on how well made the AKX-10 is. What the customer service is like and can they make good on their promise to expand on the styles that are currently available? Right now there are still questions to be answered :think:

Saul
Site Admin

Follow Us On Facebook

cando614

Unread post by cando614 »

No AI Fingered chord recognition. As I'm sure most of you realize, Medeli is using a lot of Yamaha-developed technology, but Yamaha wasn't about to give away the family jewels! Chord recognition is the sine qua non of arrangers. DGX-670 or PSR-SX700 for me!

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

Now THAT is a very good point! Chord recognition is indeed a big thing for arranger keyboards. And if the Medeli AKX-10 is lacking in that department I cannot see how it can really compete with the likes of the PSR SX700 or even the new DGX-670. :think:

Saul
Site Admin

Follow Us On Facebook

johnsma1228

Unread post by johnsma1228 »

Is it possible to put 80 watts into a 61 key arranger? Probably using class D tech, but the speakers would add a lot of weight for full range. Whoever gets one, please share the speaker quality. 80 watts and the mic input could make small gigs really easy.
I really enjoy the post!!!!

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

I am still trying to get hold of one but no luck so far.

As to the speakers it is 15 W (2x) when on battery power and 25 W (2x) when mains powered. Which in of itself is not too shabby but I am guessing that is "peak power"?

Saul
Site Admin

Follow Us On Facebook