Yamaha S90ES Setup Advice

Any keyboard/synth not covered by a dedicated section.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar United States of America
sp00ky_josh

Yamaha S90ES Setup Advice

Unread post by sp00ky_josh » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:52 am

Hey I’m about to purchase a S90ES! I’m very excited about it, but this is my first “professional” piece of equipment and I really want to take care of it and do it right.
The S90ES has an incredible piano voice and I want to purchase speakers that will do it justice. This is my first keyboard that does not have built in speakers so I have no clue where to begin or how to even start looking for the right ones. I was wondering if the Yamaha GNS-MS01 would be a good place to start. I wasn’t sure if it’d work tho because it’s not a genos.
The other thing I was curious about was how to I go about looking for a stand? My last keyboard had a stand built into it so I’m not sure how to really go about buying a stand especially since the S90ES is significantly bigger than my last one.
I’m sorry for all the rookie questions, I’m just new to this and I’ve been saving for this board for a long time and just want to do it right. Any help is appreciated!
puremusic

Re: Yamaha S90ES Setup Advice

Unread post by puremusic » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:12 am

I bet you'll have a lot of fun with that thing! And it's got all those expansion slots too!

Unless you're hurting too much for cash, I'd not get one of those cheapie 'X' shaped keyboard stands, they get in the way of the legs a bit. There're tons of options out there in keyboard stands. . it really depends on what you want. You can get something with legs on the side and out of the way, something the looks good, something with several tiers so you can play more than one keyboard at once. I built my stand out of stud lumber to be extra sturdy.
Roland FP-90 - Touchkeys - TEC BC - MIDI Expression
Kontakt - Arturia CS80 - Arturia Piano V - Sonivox Eighty-Eight - Spitfire Symphony Orchestra
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:40 pm

Hey sp00ky_josh, welcome to yamahamusicians.com :) The S90ES is a lovely keyboard and a great way into the "pro" end of the market (Y)

Regarding speakers I would go for a set of powered monitors as they will be far more versatile. Which ones of course is a whole new thread and we have discussed this recently when talking about speakers for the MODX and Genos. Can't remember the exact threads at the moment but shouldn't be too difficult to find. I will take a look later and maybe create a section covering speakers as many people are now asking about them.

As for keyboard stands I do use an X type stand but I was thinking of investing in one of these:
Keyboard Stand.png
Neewer® Heavy Duty Z-Style Keyboard Stand
Keyboard Stand.png (168.62 KiB) Viewed 355 times
https://amzn.to/2Gu7SGI

But there are loads of different options out there.
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Makro Racer
puremusic

Unread post by puremusic » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:49 pm

Ah good ol Neewer, I've got a lot of inexpensive gear out of them, including a great field monitor for my camera. Their quality is quite decent for the price.
Roland FP-90 - Touchkeys - TEC BC - MIDI Expression
Kontakt - Arturia CS80 - Arturia Piano V - Sonivox Eighty-Eight - Spitfire Symphony Orchestra
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:54 pm

puremusic wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:49 pm
Ah good ol Neewer, I've got a lot of inexpensive gear out of them, including a great field monitor for my camera. Their quality is quite decent for the price.
Yeah they do a lot of pretty decent camera gear, lights etc. Also some pretty decent add on mics for iPhone. Certainly one of the better Chinese manufacturers :)
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Makro Racer
sp00ky_josh

Unread post by sp00ky_josh » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:28 pm

Thank you guys for the warm welcome!
I appreciate all the advice about the stands and speakers! However, in addition to being a first time buyer of a higher quality keyboard, this is also my first time in a forum and I’m not sure where to look for those threads where you guys had discussed the different speakers. Could you guys point me in the right direction?
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:15 pm

sp00ky_josh wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:28 pm
I appreciate all the advice about the stands and speakers! However, in addition to being a first time buyer of a higher quality keyboard, this is also my first time in a forum and I’m not sure where to look for those threads where you guys had discussed the different speakers. Could you guys point me in the right direction?
I have just been trawling through the forum and I think it would be easier if we just created an article about speakers so it will be easier to find?

If we start off with speakers under $300 do you think that would help you?
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

sp00ky_josh

Unread post by sp00ky_josh » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:33 pm

Ya that should be awesome! Where could I find this new article?
sp00ky_josh

Unread post by sp00ky_josh » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:46 am

Saul wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:15 pm
sp00ky_josh wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:28 pm
I have just been trawling through the forum and I think it would be easier if we just created an article about speakers so it will be easier to find?

If we start off with speakers under $300 do you think that would help you?
Hey I'm sorry to keep buggin you but I was just wondering if the new thread was ever made and I missed it?

Return to “All Other Keyboards”