New Nord Grand

Any keyboard/synth not covered by a dedicated section.

Moderators: parametric, Derek, Saul

User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

New Nord Grand

Unread post by Saul » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:18 pm

Nord Grand.png
Interesting new keyboard from Nord. I am detecting a bit of a theme going on at the moment. If you look at the new Yamaha CP, Dexibell J7/S9 and now the response from Nord it seems to me they are all pretty much heading in the same direction?

Pretty safe bet that the Nord is going to be the more expensive of those three. Let me know what you think?

The exclusive Nord Grand features a premium weighted keybed with advanced triple sensors that capture the movements of the hammers with exceptional precision, delivering the smooth and natural feel of an acoustic grand piano.

Incorporating our award-winning performance features and hands-on user interface the lightweight Nord Grand not only provides an extraordinary playing experience, but is also an elegant new approach to our stage piano series.

MAIN FEATURES

General
88-note Kawai Hammer Action with advanced triple sensors
Ivory touch keys
Seamless Transitions when changing programs
Layer and Split with Split Point crossfades
OLED display for excellent overview
Support for Nord Piano Monitor

Piano Section
2 GB memory for Nord Piano Library
120 Voice Polyphony
Dedicated Piano Filters for Acoustic and Electric Pianos
3 Dynamic Curves
Dynamic Pedal Noise with Nord Triple Pedal (included)
Advanced String Resonance
Soft Release

Sample Synth
512 MB Memory for Nord Sample Library 3.0
Dedicated Sample Synth section with Attack, Decay/Release and dynamic controls

Effects
High quality stereo effects modelled after classic stomp boxes
Reverb with three modes - Room, Stage and Hall

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Yamaha FS-TA/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors
User avatar United States of America
PianoManChuck

Re: New Nord Grand

Unread post by PianoManChuck » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:26 pm

This is the perfect marriage of my two favorite boards - Nord for Piano sounds, and Kawai for their awesome Key Actions!

I have a Nord Piano 4 here and a Kawai MP11, so I could most likely do one better by MIDI'ing the MP11 to the NP4. I don't know which Kawai action they're using, but I know its not the GF action found in the MP11, otherwise it would be a much deeper case and a much heavier weight. Nonetheless, this was a jaw-dropping first that I woke up to, and perhaps the biggest news in DP's this year!
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:41 pm

Never really looked at Kawai much. Had a K5 and K4 back in the 90's but that's about it.

I did get a look at some of their acoustic pianos at a show a few weeks ago and was very impressed with them.

No news on price for the Nord Grand yet...unless you have heard something?
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

Yamaha FS-TA/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors
PianoManChuck

Unread post by PianoManChuck » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:49 pm

Saul wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:41 pm
No news on price for the Nord Grand yet...unless you have heard something?
No news on price here either (and I'm a Nord dealer)! ... we'll have to play the "wait and see" game for a while...

Its funny that as a Nord dealer, I found out about this announcement at the Nord website.... and my contact at Kawai didn't even find out about it until the announcement on the Nord website! Apparently Clavia AND Kawai kept this very well hidden.
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:59 pm

I think all these brands are upping their game in the product release thing these days. Used to be leaks everywhere but actually I prefer it this way. Also I would rather they held off on announcements until closer to the products being available retail. Nothing more frustrating than being told about a great keyboard and then finding out you can't actually buy it for 6 months! ;)
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

anotherscott

Unread post by anotherscott » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:12 am

Saul wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:18 pm
I am detecting a bit of a theme going on at the moment. If you look at the new Yamaha CP, Dexibell J7/S9 and now the response from Nord it seems to me they are all pretty much heading in the same direction?
I don't see this as a response to Yamaha/Dexibell... if anything, Yamaha/Dexibell were responding to what Nord was doing. The Nord Grand is not really new, it is is pretty much a repackaged Nord Piano 4 with a higher quality action. That's not a bad thing, that's exactly what some people have been asking for, a Nord Piano with a better-than-Fatar action. Still, it's tech basically pre-dates Yamaha/Dexibell.
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:13 am

Of course it is a response. They brought it out after the Yamaha CP and Dexibell Combo J7/S9. Nord are responding to the market because they are losing ground. Sure the others are now moving into Nord territory but Nord need to respond and the Nord Grand is that response.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

User avatar Wales
Derek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by Derek » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:55 pm

Nord are probably losing ground because they have lost their MOJO for making interesting products. The G2 range was their high water mark, and, sadly, they have let the concept wither. There is of course an argument that may be the market does not want software modular synths, but perhaps they missed a trick in how they package it. All synths are made of modules - it’s how they are connected that matters .

That is not to say their current products are not good, but it is a crowded segment these days.
Regards
Derek Cook

http://www.carregddu.co.uk
http://www.echoes-music.co.uk
http://www.xfactory-librarians.co.uk
http://www.ex5tech.co.uk