FORUM RULES - READ BEFORE POSTING
We don't have a great many rules on this forum. The ones we do have are mostly common sense but there are a couple which you do need to pay close attention to. You can read the latest version of the rules here: viewtopic.php?t=5958

Korg X5 - Dead key and loose headphone jack

KORG keyboards, sound modules and software.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

pinopio Australia
Where Are You Located?: Canberra, Australia

Korg X5 - Dead key and loose headphone jack

Unread post by pinopio »

Hi everyone, first post here (apart from my self intro one). I have an old Korg X5 that has the issues in the title: one key is dead (A3) and the headphone jack is loose. Some photos attached.

Regarding the dead key, I've managed to open the keyboard to access the place with the contact rubber and PCB. There's not much dust in there to speak of, the rubber is in good condition, and the carbon contact points seem fine (to my untrained eye, anyway). Cleaning the rubber and trying the stop-gap fix of using a soft lead pencil on the PCB didn't help. However, I noticed that a copper eyelet (I think that's what they're called?) that connects to the contact point appears to be discoloured compared to others. Is it corrosion, and could it be the culprit for the dead key? And if so, what options are there for fixing it?

As for the headphone jack, the black casing for the plug appears to be a bit loose, and no sound comes through. The casing doesn't come off, but you can wriggle it around and get a bit of sound if you hold it in the right place. Is this something that can be rectified with soldering? Not sure how to get at the spot where the two parts connect, though...

The keyboard hasn't been used for at least a decade, but prior to that all the keys were working fine. The headphone jack actually came loose a few years after I bought it, but back then I wasn't game to open the unit up. Figured it was time to take a look. Anyway, those are the two issues, and I'm hoping someone can offer some insights. If you need further details, please let me know. Thanks in advance. :)
Attachments
Korg X5 loose audio jack 3.jpg
Korg X5 loose audio jack 2.jpg
Korg X5 loose audio jack 1.jpg
Korg X5 dead key 3.jpg
Korg X5 dead key 2.jpg
Korg X5 dead key 1.jpg
parametric Great Britain
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Where Are You Located?: Near Watford, UK

VIP

Re: Korg X5 - Dead key and loose headphone jack

Unread post by parametric »

Hi Pinopio and welcome to the forums . . . .

We have quite a number of Antipodeans among our members - so you're in good company :wink:

Key issues usually respond to a good clean of the contacts in the rubber component - and the pcb, where the carbon pads touch . . .

If the oxidisation you mentioned is to do with the pad contact on THAT note - then remove it with metal polish - Brasso or Duraglit . . .

Use Iso-Propyl Alcohol and cotton buds for cleaning . . . . especially after the Metal polish . . .

The rubbers have small rod-shaped protrusions that fit into matching holes in the pcb -

This is normally very secure at keeping dust and dirt OUT. I did have one instance where one corner of the rubber was raised,

and sure enough - dirt got in - and the key didn't work until I cleaned it . . . so DO check the rubbers are all seated down nicely . . . .

As regards the Headphones - is it the Headphone Plug, or the Socket on the Korg you are unsure about?

Looking at your Pic - I would suggest that a re-soldering of the H/P pcb socket would probably cure the intermittency . . . :pray:

It would also be possible to replace that socket - it's a fairly standard part (Through-mount pcb TRS Socket).

The Service Manual should give a part number for the actual part if desired - but I would guess a standard part would fit . . .

Hope that helps . . .

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

Some of My own Tracks: viewtopic.php?p=88899#p88899

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - https://yamahamusicians.com/720k-floppy-disks-for-sale/

Curse! This means the end of the horned gramophone and the little doggie that looks in to it.

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
pinopio Australia

Unread post by pinopio »

Thanks for the welcome, Parametric, and also the detailed tips. :)

Regarding the dead key, the carbon pads and the PCB contacts seem to be good shape and clean, but I'll give it another clean for good measure. Will try cleaning the oxidised eyelet as well as per your suggestion, as the circuitry does seem to be connected to the offending note. Hopefully it will do the trick.

As for the headphone socket, yes it's the part on the Korg. The plastic sleeve-like bit the headphone plug goes into wriggles very slightly on the PCB. I'll have to look up the manual for details on the part and also study up on soldering (never done it before).

Between work and family, I don't have a whole lot of time, but hope to get things moving sooner than later. Will be sure to report back, for better or worse. Thanks again for the information--it's a huge help!
parametric Great Britain
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

VIP

pinopio wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:33 pm As for the headphone socket, yes it's the part on the Korg. The plastic sleeve-like bit the headphone plug goes into wriggles very slightly on the PCB. I'll have to look up the manual for details on the part and also study up on soldering (never done it before).
That definitely sounds like a bad soldered "leg" on he pcb.

OFTEN - these sockets have no additional support - so the plugging/unplugging of the Headphones, over time is bourne solely by

the soldered connections . . . . NOT ideal . . . .

If you can SEE the leg move in the joint when you wiggle it - then THAT joint needs re-soldering

If you can turn that board over and get to the "legs" of that socket, simply re-melting the solder on them should cure it . . .

If the existing solder is minimal - then it doesn't hurt to add a little more . . . it just needs to re-flow and make a good connection.

Try to be as quick as possible though. Prolonged heat can cause the pcb tracks to come away from the board . . . .

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - https://yamahamusicians.com/720k-floppy-disks-for-sale/

Curse! This means the end of the horned gramophone and the little doggie that looks in to it.

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

pinopio Australia

Unread post by pinopio »

I see! Thanks for the follow up details, Parametric. This is fantastic advice, and very duly noted. Will keep all of this in mind when I set to work. Thanks again!
parametric Great Britain
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

VIP

If you are uncomfortable with soldering - perhaps you have a mate who is electronics-savvy who could do it for you?

otherwise, any shop that does electronic servicing/repair should be able to do it in a moment . . obviously for a "fee" :wink:

obviously - I can't guarantee that THIS is the problem - but to me, it seems extremely likely :think:

parametric

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

pinopio Australia

Unread post by pinopio »

Now there's an idea. While I'm not averse to learning some new skills, would be reassuring to have someone with experience take care of this (and I can practice on something with lower stakes). Will ask around and see if someone I know is handy with a solder, and failing that look up a service. As long as it doesn't cost an arm and a leg, thinking it would be worth a fee. :)