Rara
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: Australia

VIP

Re: Casio FZ-1/VZ-1 Aftermarket screen?

Unread post by Rara »

dmitrins wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:50 pm
HFaber1956 wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:43 pm The original switches are nowhere in stock and I believe the OEM doesn't produce them anymore.
According to the FZ-1 Service Manual, the original ones were Panasonic EVQ-QS205K (EVQPAD05R).

Image Image Image Image
Are these tact switches available anywhere else other than the US?

Rara 0-)

Loopmasters Sale
dmitrins

VIP

Unread post by dmitrins »

Rara wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:45 am Are these tact switches available anywhere else other than the US?
Well, I found them in stock on the local supplier's site (moq:100, 11 days).
But buying small quantities from retail suppliers will be a lottery anyway. Who knows who is buying from whom and what the supply chain really is. The only way to obtain genuine parts is to buy a minimum quantity from an official distributor.
The Omron B3F series are available on Aliexpress, they are claimed to be original and even labeled as Omron B3F, but who knows where they came from.
On the other hand, all original replacements have become ROHS compliant, and new materials are known to cause problems.
Which switch would be better? Go figure :lol:

HFaber1956
Location.: I live in the Netherlands, Amsterdam

Unread post by HFaber1956 »

dmitrins wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:01 pm
Rara wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:45 am Are these tact switches available anywhere else other than the US?
But buying small quantities from retail suppliers will be a lottery anyway. Who knows who is buying from whom and what the supply chain really is. The only way to obtain genuine parts is to buy a minimum quantity from an official distributor.
The Omron B3F series are available on Aliexpress, they are claimed to be original and even labeled as Omron B3F, but who knows where they came from.
On the other hand, all original replacements have become ROHS compliant, and new materials are known to cause problems.
Isn't it a bit like your aftermarket display? I think they're discontinuing the Panasonic EVQ-QS205K per 12-31-2020 because the qualtity isn't up to date anymore and many suppliers are out of stock already.
It seems that only the Syn-Parts ones are the original Panasonic switches.

Disorder
Location.: Japan/ Tokyo

Unread post by Disorder »

I received Dmitri’s display today and it looks truly amazing !

Really simple to install and perfectly aligned.
Only the connector was a little bit difficult to plug inside the motherboard due to its thickness so I recommande to plug it very slowly and gently while holding the back of the motherboard.

Thanks again Dmitri !
Attachments
EA895763-28F2-436A-85D9-963C5C0EC221.jpeg
3EF2A6A2-46DF-43FA-B405-8F527D6C1648.jpeg

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: Near Watford, United Kingdom

VIP

Unread post by parametric »

That looks GREAT . . .

You must be delighted - just like a new instrument (Y)

We DO have some clever people in these forums . . .

Long may it continue 8)

parametric

Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - https://yamahamusicians.com/720k-floppy-disks-for-sale/

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
dmitrins

VIP

HFaber1956 wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:09 am Isn't it a bit like your aftermarket display? I think they're discontinuing the Panasonic EVQ-QS205K per 12-31-2020 because the qualtity isn't up to date anymore and many suppliers are out of stock already.
It seems that only the Syn-Parts ones are the original Panasonic switches.
I think it's all about time & cost effectiveness. In this respect, the through-hole technology is not as effective as SMT and Panasonic follow the market demands. Nothing to do with better quality.

HFaber1956
Location.: I live in the Netherlands, Amsterdam

Unread post by HFaber1956 »

dmitrins wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:01 pm
You're absolutly right, I purchased 48 tactile switches for 'Casio'* from Synth-Parts.com and they are not the right size. Slightly larger and for holes that are 5mm and 7mm apart while they should be 4.5 x 6.5mm. Okay, still usable with some wringing.
Important is that they are 5mm high. Anyway, I'm gonna order the Omron F3B 1020 too.
I replaced the switches for the Yamaha V50 and they were the same size as for the these "Casio" ones but a bit lower. They were really worn out, more than half of them didn't work but I still have Atari ST so I can edit thru MIDI:

http://home.kpn.nl/m.tarenskeen/yseditor.htm

And I also got the displays today so I've got some work to do .

* Perhaps these were not ment for the FZ-1 but other synth's.

Silverfish
Location.: Canada

Unread post by Silverfish »

Wow, that screen looks great! How do I purchase one?

dmitrins

VIP

Some information about the current status of display projects and orders:
At the moment 20 green displays are partially assembled, they need backlights, casing, programming and final testing.
I expected to finish them within this month, but work has slowed down again due to my chronic health issues (it's hard to predict, but I have to deal with it).
My apologies if I left some messages/discussions unanswered previously, I will get back to them as soon as I can.

The white version with the RGB backlight that I make for rack FZ/VZ models will probably also be available for the FZ-1.
Also, a couple of new features will be implemented in the new firmware version: all adjustments will become visualized and intuitive, a new horizontal position adjustment will be added (in case if the viewing area was not perfectly centered).

The last few orders were left unpaid for some reason, so I would ask people to let me know if you've changed your mind or don't need it right now.
The international delivery time hasn't improved much over the past few months. The average is about 45 days, but sometimes it can exceed 2 months.

projectwoofer

Unread post by projectwoofer »

Hello there,
I have a VZ-10M and would be interested on a new display. Some questions though: is that screen compatible to the rack version? Does it require soldering? And finally how can I order one and how much does it cost shipped to Germany?
Many thanks!