Yamaha DB50XG synth daughter card

Sell your gear here. This can be musical or non musical in nature. Dealers and traders are welcome but link back to us if you have a site ok.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

jima
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: West Midlands, UK.

Yamaha DB50XG synth daughter card

Unread post by jima »

Having a bit of a clean-up, dusting off the shelves I find my my DMX 6Fire 24/96 sound system and investigating a bit of a rattle I find a DB50XG nestling on the wave-blaster connector inside the head unit. What should then happen but re-organising the 50/68-pin SCSI, IDE and SATA HD boxes I find another attached like a limpet to a Turtle Beach Montego II sound card. Curiosity aroused, I lash a quick Windows XP system together, bolt in the DMX and start throwing XG Midi files at them. What fun I have been having today with them, I had forgotten what a little pocket powerhouse these cards are.

Wavelab Lite and Audacity front and centre, please find below an attached showcase file generated by myself today from one of the cards demonstrating the capabilities and versatility of these little gems. These little beauties really do punch well above their weight! The MP3 doesn't really do it justice, there is no external processing and no external effects, only normalisation of the levels of the excerpts. Do get past the first cheesy minute (it sounds a bit Jordan Rudess'y doing a Korg demo I suppose but it isn't) for some meatier clips.

I'll be putting them on FleaPay in due course at £150 each but YM members get first dibs (as always) and as May is my birth month members will get a discount of 13% and free postage in mainland UK (RoW at cost by agreement). Should anyone hanker after both, an additional 13% will apply (for those with dis-functional calculators that will be 24% overall).

I don't usually post without images (these and further info will follow tomorrow), but wanted to get the word out quickly as there aren't many of these pocket rockets around. Don't be fooled into thinking that these are Soundblaster type cards - they bear as much resemblance to them as a Bosey does to a honkey-tonk. Think of them as like an MU-80 on a card, you will need something with a wave-table connector to run them. Most folks with anything up to Windows 7 seem to be able to find something to drive them, don't know about Win 8.x and Win 10.x (but who does lol). I also recall that there are also a couple of low cost projects around to fit these into a box and MIDI them up then you can drive them from virtually anything. Some can be found on Fleapay, Elektor magazine also had an adapter project and I have a circuit diagram plus PCB layout for one. There are also stacks of files, docs (SysEx etc.) on the interweb.

More info to come, all questions and queries welcomed. *** Now with images ***
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jim
Yamaha EX5, AN1X, TG500, Moog Werkstatt, Korg Wavestation SR, Sigma, Legacy Digital, Nord Modular G2, G2 Engine, Focusrite PRO 40, MIDISPORT 8x8/s, Uno, Arturia Keylab 49 MkII, BeatStep, V Collection, Pigments | Love keyboards but so little time :(
puremusic
Location.: USA

Re: Yamaha DB50XG synth daughter card

Unread post by puremusic »

Oh very nice little sound to it, I never heard of this card before.

Jordan sure shows up anytime there's rare hardware out there. Everytime I look up a review of some alternative midi controller or rare piece of kit there he is demoing it.

Have a happy one!

Roland FP-90 - Touchkeys - NS Wav5C Electric Cello - TEC BC - MIDI Expression
Kontakt - Arturia CS80 - Arturia Piano V - Sonivox Eighty-Eight - Spitfire Symphony Orchestra
Hirsch
Location.: Germany (Bavaria)

Unread post by Hirsch »

I'm interested in both cards. Are they still available?

jima
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: West Midlands, UK.

Unread post by jima »

I'm sorry but they both sold quite quickly and forgot to post here that they had gone.

Jim
Yamaha EX5, AN1X, TG500, Moog Werkstatt, Korg Wavestation SR, Sigma, Legacy Digital, Nord Modular G2, G2 Engine, Focusrite PRO 40, MIDISPORT 8x8/s, Uno, Arturia Keylab 49 MkII, BeatStep, V Collection, Pigments | Love keyboards but so little time :(