A good machine for running a DAW perhaps . . ?

Sell your gear here. This can be musical or non musical in nature. Dealers and traders are welcome but link back to us if you have a site ok.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Great Britain

A good machine for running a DAW perhaps . . ?

Unread post by parametric » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:20 pm

Just another heads up . .

https://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/produ ... FF-No-DVD/

The older Aluminium-cased MacPros used to run two of these processors . . .

4 Monitors maybe a bit overkill - but TWO is certainly good for a DAW (Tracks on one - Mixer on the other IYSWIM)

Good value I think - perhaps max-out the RAM and another HD for "Audio"?

Plus, it comes with the last GOOD version of Windows (Some would say) 8)

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Re: A good machine for running a DAW perhaps . . ?

Unread post by Saul » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:46 pm

It's got a fair amount of power but it's a bit of an old brick really. Also it may support 4 monitors but with such a low powered and low memory graphics card your not going to be doing much in the way of HD or 4K so monitor sizes and res would need to be restricted.

Windows 7 is fine but a lot of products now won't work with it and many vendors are no longer making drivers for it. So legacy gear will be fine but newer stuff I think you would have to pass.

Bear in mind Morgan have to make a profit and have overheads so the actual cost of this pc to them will have probably been around the £150 mark.

A quick look on Ebay will find you a much more modern and powerful pc for less than £300 for example:

Operating system: Genuine Microsoft Windows 10 64 bit
Processor - AMD A10-7800 (3.5 GHz upto 3.9GHz with Turbo, 4MB L2 Cache) - Quad -core
Storage: 1TB HDD
Memory: 16GB DDR3 (Supports upto 16GB)
Graphics card: AMD Radeon R7 240 2GB
Wireless 802.11 b/g/n
Bluetooth
Ethernet Gigabit Ethernet (10/100/1000)
USB: USB 3.0 x 2 & USB 2.0 x 4
Video interface: HDMI x 1 & VGA x 1
Audio interface:
3.5 mm jack (output)
3.5 mm jack (input)
Analogue audio out x 2
Analogue audio in x 1
Optical drive: DVD/RW
Memory card reader: 7-in-1 memory card reader
Expansion card slot - PCI (x3) x 1 & PCIe (x16) x 1
Sound: High Definition Audio 5.1
Colour: Black
Dimensions: 51.6 x 49.6 x 24 cm (H x W x D)
Weight: 7.1 kg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lenovo-PC-Tow ... SwaDZZzTB5

And that is just £250 :)

Of course there is an issue running Windows 10 in that older gear is likely not to have drivers for it and perhaps won't work which is the opposite to Windows 7 where older gear will be fine but the newer stuff may not work. Swings and roundabouts I guess. If your just starting and want to use all the latest software and hardware then go for something with Windows 10, USB 3 or C and better graphics. If you already have a load of legacy gear that does it's job well and there is no need to upgrade then Windows 7 and an older PC will be just fine.

Personally I would not take either, I'm very happy in the Mac camp ;)
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Seagull S6 Original/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors

Return to “For Sale”