Wanted Shipping Box

If your looking for something or perhaps just want to do a straight swap for something, post here. Can be musical or non musical in nature.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

seymour beaver
Great Britain

Wanted Shipping Box

Unread post by seymour beaver » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:48 am

Does anyone have a shipping box for a guitar case approximately 120cm X 50cm X 15cm? I will happily pay for it and the postage. I have two guitar shops local to me and both looked at me like I was an idiot wanting such a thing. It is for shipping an acoustic. Thanks. Peter.
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Re: Wanted Shipping Box

Unread post by Saul » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:23 am

Do you mean a box to ship an acoustic guitar and it's hard case in? Normally they would come inside a large square box and most guitar stores would have plenty of them kicking about gathering dust.

There are plenty of companies selling cardboard boxes but they often sell in packs of 5 upwards so the cost is prohibitive unless you have many things to send.

If the guitar is inside a hard case I would simply buy a large roll of bubble wrap and use that to wrap it in. I have done this before and it completely protects the case. You can get a 600mm x 10m roll for about £5.00

Thing is though, no matter how you send it you need to be aware that no courier company in the UK will insure a guitar against damage no matter how well it is packed. Courier insurance is a rip off as the exclusions list is huge! Also all couriers are required to have insurance for loss and damage before they accept any goods but the companies don't tell people this. So it is effectively 100% profit for the companies even if you were to make a claim because they simply claim off the drivers insurance.
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Seagull S6 Original/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
seymour beaver
Great Britain

Unread post by seymour beaver » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:08 pm

Hi Saul, thanks for your reply, I'm thinking of selling my SA503TVL and the box would be for that. It has a hard case. I use Interparcel and over the years the courier UPS has broken the neck on an Epiphone P93 Riviera and dropped an amp and I was paid out for both. I know courier companies have a bad reputation but Interparcel have paid up both times.
Peter.
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:28 pm

Sounds like both a bad and good experience there Peter. All the couriers I have used in the past including UPS, DPD, Hermes, ParcelForce, Yodel and so on have refused to insure any musical item. Of course they do try to sell you insurance but if you check the exclusions you will see your paying for nothing. Glad they paid out in your case though :)

If it's in a hard case an well protected it should be fine. Would help though if courier companies actually treated our items with some respect rather than throwing them across a warehouse and playing football with them. There are some good drivers of course and most that have delivered to me have been fine. Last one though couldn't speak a word of English and I had to go down to his van with him because an item was missing. Should have seen the state of the parcels in the back of the van! 8O they were all over the place, nothing stacked or strapped in. It was a complete mess. And then I watched him drive away with the back door wide open! 8O 8O 8O

THAT unfortunately is often the level of driver we are putting our valuable goods in the hands of.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

Seagull S6 Original/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
seymour beaver
Great Britain

Unread post by seymour beaver » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:39 pm

Hi Saul, can you tell me which courier you used when you sent a guitar wrapped in bubble wrap? I have given up trying to get a shipping carton the few shops that there are around here say they destroy them straight away or save them for shipping themselves. No help at all, won't even take money for one.
Regards.
Pete.
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:02 pm

I use either DPD or Parcelforce. I think with DPD you have to keep the length below 100cm or they won't accept it. As long as the guitar is in a hard case and well wrapped it should be fine.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:57 pm

By the way, forgot to mention I used Parcel Hero to send a guitar just last week and that worked out pretty good. Prices were slightly better than elsewhere so worth a look.

https://www.parcelhero.com/
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

seymour beaver
Great Britain

Unread post by seymour beaver » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:13 am

Thanks Saul, I'll check out P/force.
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:51 am

You might also want to check out these guys on Ebay. They sell boxes for guitars and have an excellent reputation. Also I noticed the boxes are the correct dimensions for most guitars. There are many sellers who's boxes are too large and will not be accepted by most couriers.

They also have an option to buy with bubble wrap which may or may not be a good deal depending on how you want to pad out the box etc and how much you pay locally for bubble wrap.

Anyway check them out and drop them an email etc if you have any questions.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-courier-c ... dMClHd09fg
guitar_packing_box.png
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

Return to “Items Wanted”