Revstar 420 intonation

This section is dedicated to players of electric guitar. From beginner to expert and all in between. Everyone is welcome here.

Moderators: Buzzard, Derek, parametric, Saul

Iggydavid
Location.: Great Britain, England

Revstar 420 intonation

Unread post by Iggydavid »

Hi after a short time playing my fabulous Bergundy Red Revstar 420, I discovered that it had some big intonation problems that needed fixing. Some chords just didn't sound as sweet as they should. The G chord and D chords especially got on my nerves.
With a decent Korg tuner I managed to fix it all. However, to get the low E string to be correct, I had to remove the bridge saddle and turn it round so that the saddle could be moved far enough back. What a hard job that was! It was tricky to get the saddle and screw back in...if only the bridge was as robust and adjustable as on my SF 500.
A little disappointing that I had to do this. My SF 500 and my SA 1000 were perfectly set up straight out of the case as new.
But now I can play any chord without any of that nagging feeling that something isn't quite right.
Has anybody else had intonation problems with a new Yamaha guitar?

Rabbit Tree Studio
P90_Luv

Re: Revstar 420 intonation

Unread post by P90_Luv »

At least you knew the flipped saddle would work and is a common fix with Tune-O-Magic's. They won't totally dial any guitar (at that price point) from the factory these days. Watch "The Trogly's Guitar Show" on YouTube where the guy specializes in unboxing, inspecting, and documenting new guitars ranging $400-$1,500. Very few are even close with high frets, crazy action, and/or intonation fails. Some retailers dial them as a sales condition before they are shipped. How well they tweak them is questionable. Expect a new instrument to need a little help unless it was $5K from the custom shop.

My 520 had a miserable (wraparound) bridge from the same supplier as yours. I have a separate thread on how to find a replacement that was the fix for the only major hardware problem I could find with the guitar. A cheap, poorly designed bridge that rattled and buzzed no mater what was done. Not suggesting the 420 bridge has a similar issue as I don't know. If your Korg tuner is one of the newer units with the strobing colored bands, those are my favorite and accurate. Keep wrenching my friend.

Iggydavid

Thanks for your reply P90_Luv, I always wondered how you would do anything about intonation problems on a 'wrap-around bridge'. I guess you can't. I still struggle to see why Fender issue so called Custom Shop Telecasters with only 3 adjustable bridge saddles.
You'd think that by now the whole 'huge' and in my opinion, ugly, 'pickup plate', idea would have been discarded in favour of what is on a Telecaster Deluxe...ie: a fully adjustable Stratocaster style bridge. I really can't imagine that the obtrusive chrome plate makes any real difference to the sound.
Ah well, 'horses for courses'...I just love Yamaha guitars. :)

P90_Luv

Unread post by P90_Luv »

Wraparounds can have both adjustable saddles and the angled (tail-stop) bar style like 50's Les Paul Juniors. Some "wrappers" have added an invisible peak or line across the span where the string breaks over. This line is compensated at the needed angle. You adjust both E strings low and high with "grub" screws moving the bridge front to rear. Once the E's are set, the rest just fall in very close intonation. I have one made by TonePros on a Junior and it actually is dead on. The Rev however received a billet aluminum adjustable bridge with brass saddles and posts. Yum, unfinished brass getting aged and ugly.

If you look carefully at the pattern bridges create you'll see two angular lines. One extending upward from low E to D. The second line runs slightly under the D and extends at the same angle up to the high E. Acoustics have this same angular line across their bridge but does not jog at the D. That's because they often use a wound G string where electrics are unwound thus the needed jog for compensation. The Telecaster bridge was also designed in the days of yore when the G string was wound. The pattern was indeed correct in that three barrel grouping. They simply stair-stepped slightly to get a more even angle. Today the pattern is wrong for the unwound G so there are modern Tele saddles that corrects it. Each barrel has notches cut for the needed angles where the straight barrels fail.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (24.19 KiB) Viewed 54 times

Iggydavid

Thanks for your interesting insight about the 3 barrel Telecaster bridge. I really didn't know that. Sometimes it's a bit of a curse having such a deserning ear for accurate pitch as I seem to have. I'm forever able to hear slight differences. I guess that I'll just have to ignore it as best as I can. :)