My YAMAHA SC300-T Guitar -- Any input is appreciated!

This section is dedicated to players of electric guitar. From beginner to expert and all in between. Everyone is welcome here.

Moderators: parametric, Buzzard, Derek, Saul

Rollie Fingers
Location.: Southern California

My YAMAHA SC300-T Guitar -- Any input is appreciated!

Unread post by Rollie Fingers »

I bought this guitar a few years back for $180 off somebody on Ebay. I just got it out of the attic and am taking a fresh look at today.

I really do love the body style of this guitar and am thinking about restoring it possibly (there are tons of dings, scratches, though, zero cracks thankfully).

It looks like the guy who had it before me put a new Pacifica neck on it, and made his own pick guard for it. Also, he put a Wilkinson bridge on it, Sperzel locking tuners, and am not sure what the pickups are. Does anybody recognize the pickups he put on this guitar?

Does anybody know anything about these guitars? All I can find online is that they were surf guitars made in Japan in 80's. Any links or information is super appreciated!

20200727_152333.jpg
20200727_152514.jpg
20200727_152412.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mimasu

VIP

Re: My YAMAHA SC300-T Guitar -- Any input is appreciated!

Unread post by Mimasu »

Looks like a SC300-T body indeed.

The SC300-T was an export model guitar made in 1982/1983.

LM-100-PAG9.jpg

Am I mistaken or does the neck PU in your guitar looks like a tele bridge PU?

Leon
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rollie Fingers

Mimasu wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:01 pm Looks like a SC300-T body indeed.

The SC300-T was an export model guitar made in 1982/1983.

LM-100-PAG9.jpg
Thanks Leon, I just saw your post. Thanks for the info and that late promo pic! I didn't know any of that. I was born in 83' which could possibly explain the affinity I have w this guitar. The SC300-T has a different look to them but not too funky looking - I might try to grab another one at a certain point.
Mimasu wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:01 pm
Am I mistaken or does the neck PU in your guitar looks like a tele bridge PU?

Leon
I took this guitar into a local guy that builds guitars and he took everything apart. Firstly, that single coil neck PU that does look like a Tele bride PU is a no name. The humbucker has "3M" stamped on it, like the tape company:
618094106.jpg

Rollie Fingers

The guy who had this guitar before me also chiselled away at the body like a lumber jack, not sure why he drilled these holes:
IMG_0305.jpg
So the guy working on the guitar put a piece of maple cross ways to strengthen it a little:
618103090.jpg
He also made a way better looking black 4 ply pick guard for it...was so stoked when I saw this:
618122900.jpg