Pickup Replacement for Yamaha SE300

This section is dedicated to players of electric guitar. From beginner to expert and all in between. Everyone is welcome here.

Moderators: Buzzard, Derek, parametric, Saul

United States of America
Bandit

Pickup Replacement for Yamaha SE300

Unread post by Bandit » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:32 pm

Hello Everyone!
Does anyone have a recommendation for what pickups to upgrade to in an SE300 electric? I'm not even sure what stock pickups are in this guitar. Are they made by Yamaha, seymour duncan etc? I've read a lot about people replacing pickups in their fender but can't find much on my Yami. Anyways looking to get a hotter set for Pearl (my guitars name :)) she just doesn't have the sustain or punch she needs. Hope all is well out there in Yamaha world, thanks in advance!
Let me know if the pics I attached didn't come through.
Attachments
IMG_1416.JPG
IMG_1413.JPG
IMG_1412.JPG
User avatar Great Britain
balston11

Re: Pickup Replacement for Yamaha SE300

Unread post by balston11 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:29 pm

Hi Bandit
You can find some details here http://www.alston-family.co.uk/SEs/First%20ModelsE.html they are Yamaha pickups and really you could replace them with anything you would put in a strat including standard american strat pickups or Texas specials etc. Really depends on the sound you are looking for what sort of music do you play?
Bill
Web http://www.alston-family.co.uk for lots of Yamaha and other guitar information
User avatar United States of America
jeff-carolina

Unread post by jeff-carolina » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:42 am

Hello Bandit,
Nice looking guitar!! I agree with Bill, clearly dependent on the genre of music and sound your looking for. Good luck in your upgrade.
United States of America
Bandit

Unread post by Bandit » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:54 pm

Thanks for the responses. That answers my question for what the guitar will accept (basically any single coil).
I mostly play blues, some rock and country. I really love the fat, frothy, thick blues sounds I hear out of a lot of stray players. Also I just want something that's "hotter" than what I have. For example when I hit a high bend that "should" sustain through the vabrato in all it's glory, the sound just drops off after a single second lol. Kinda kills it for me... I've read other posts where guys are raving about the cheap overwound pickups they dropped in but my initial thought was "do you get what you pay for with pickups"? Was leary of buying really cheap stuff...
thanks again!!
User avatar Great Britain
balston11

Unread post by balston11 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:03 pm

Bill
Web http://www.alston-family.co.uk for lots of Yamaha and other guitar information
United States of America
Bandit

Unread post by Bandit » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:50 pm

I never followed up with this. I bought the Texas Special pickups and wow hotter than a fire cracker! Thanks again for all the feedback helping me make that decision. I have another question.
Does anyone know where I can find a tortoise pick guard for my SE-300? I think it will give Pearl a face lift. I can't find them for the SE-300 with three single coils (found some that were close, but no cigar).
THANKS AGAIN

Return to “Electric Guitar, Amps & Effects”