Gibson Guitars - Poor Quality and High Prices and Bankruptcy

This section is dedicated to players of electric guitar. From beginner to expert and all in between. Everyone is welcome here.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Buzzard, Saul

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Great Britain

Re: Gibson Guitars - Poor Quality and High Prices and Bankruptcy

Unread post by parametric » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:06 am

Thanks for that Andrew,

You are right! - I had got it wrong . . . :oops: (I've corrected it)

para
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
SOKOJ21
Russia

Unread post by SOKOJ21 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:56 am

It's true that Gibson is a legend that brought its own demise upon it...

My father used to play the guitar as a kid, and used nothing but Gibson guitars, but when we went to buy my first one a couple years ago, of course he wanted to buy me a Gibson one, but was thorougly disappointed by everything that he could try! In order to prove that he wasn't just an old geezer, he brought his own 1973 vintage guitar to compare, and it turns out that it wasn't just the nostalgia goggles playing tricks on him ; the new productions were definitely garbage, although sold at high prices.

So, he just tried a couple guitars at the random in the shop, and the final choice ended up being a Yamaha beginner's guitar ; the rest of the story ended up in me registering on this site!
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:50 pm

Whilst it is true that Gibson guitars, especially their electric guitars, have suffered quality control issues over the past few years I think things may be on the upturn. IF Henry J goes and lets face it, he is the prime cause of the most of their issues then quality control is something any new director/management team know they have to nail and be consistent with.

I still would not buy a Gibson because I personally think they are over priced and have always been over priced but that is MY personal opinion and I am not expecting anyone else to agree with that.
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Seagull S6 Original/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
balston11
Great Britain

Unread post by balston11 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:57 pm

Saul wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:50 pm
I still would not buy a Gibson because I personally think they are over priced and have always been over priced but that is MY personal opinion and I am not expecting anyone else to agree with that.
Well I for one agree with that
Bill
Web http://www.alston-family.co.uk for lots of Yamaha and other guitar information
Cuthbert
Italy

Unread post by Cuthbert » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:20 pm

We are beating a dead horse, but according to those who keep on saying Gibsons are overpriced what would a fair price tag for a Les Paul Standard?

Also, the last price for a Yamaha SG3000 in Europe was 2700 euros, is that guitar overpriced as well? The 2000 in the late 70s costed the equivalent of £2000, was it crazy? Nevertheless a lot of people bought them and back in time Japanese guitars had a bad reputation.
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:42 pm

It doesn't matter if I or anyone else think Gibsons are overpriced. I don't need to justify myself to anyone and I'm not asking people to agree with me. It's my personal take on Gibson guitars period.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

Seagull S6 Original/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:54 pm

I see Andertons here in the UK are knocking up to £2,400 off the price of the Gibson Custom Shop '58 Historic Les Paul' series 8O

Now Lee Anderton is a very smart cookie and you can pretty much guarantee he is still making a profit out of this so that sort of confirms my own opinion that Gibson guitars are overpriced by a very long margin! However...are the high prices partly to do with a high dealer markup?
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

Asmikace
United States of America

Unread post by Asmikace » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:30 pm

I do like that Les Paul Special in honey they have. That is a Gibson I would love to try and might consider buying new, if it plays good and comes with OHSC.

Return to “Electric Guitar, Amps & Effects”