Do blondes have more fun?

This section is dedicated to players of electric guitar. From beginner to expert and all in between. Everyone is welcome here.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Buzzard, Saul

User avatar Great Britain
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Do blondes have more fun?

Unread post by parametric » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:33 am

Hi NYG . . .

If you unscrew the jack that's plugged into the guitar and connect the meter to the contacts there the meter will ignore the rest of the lead . . . . (Y)

alternatively - use a spare new plug with the cover unscrewed . . . . :idea:

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
User avatar New Zealand
TheSupposedStringMeister

Unread post by TheSupposedStringMeister » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:52 am

NYGeorge wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:44 pm
So in reality I would only be measuring the ratio of resistances of the two pickups as the cord must have some resistance.
Pickups vary roughly from 4kOhm to 15kOhm for some very 'hot' ones. The lead (cord) has a very low resistance compared to the pickups and is completely negligible from a DC perspective. For each pickup switch setting you will more or less measure the DC resistance for bridge, neck and both provided the pots are turned as per my previous post. I hope this clarifies it...

Actually some numbers may put things in perspective. A vintage single coil would typically measure about 4000 Ohms. A 3 meter lead would be measure less than 5 ohm depending on materials used. You see, completely negligible :D Don't go through the hassle of parametric's suggestion. Just get a lead that works well when playing the guitar through an amp.
User avatar New Zealand
TheSupposedStringMeister

Unread post by TheSupposedStringMeister » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:06 am

Hi George, did you have a chance to measure the pups?
User avatar United States of America
NYGeorge

Unread post by NYGeorge » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:02 pm

TheSupposedStringMeister wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:06 am
No I haven't My neighbor has been working massive overtime and I have been working on our Halloween haunt down the road in most of my spare time. I haven't forgotten just haven't had time and a chance to ask my neighbor.
NYGeorge

Unread post by NYGeorge » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:59 pm

I sent you an email but don't know if you check. I bought a cheap multi meter and with volume pegged both read 10,000 ohms. I had tones all the way up also but don't know if that has any effect.
User avatar New Zealand
TheSupposedStringMeister

Unread post by TheSupposedStringMeister » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:08 am

NYGeorge wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:59 pm
I sent you an email but don't know if you check. I bought a cheap multi meter and with volume pegged both read 10,000 ohms. I had tones all the way up also but don't know if that has any effect.
Thanks very much George
Assuming pegged means pots fully open (ie, maximum value, loudest when connecting to amp) then yes, your reading should be factual. Yes, tone pots also need to be open.
A cheap meter should be fine for this purpose.

Now, 10 Kilo Ohm for a pickup IS high... but why I asked was that when I measured mine they were 15KOhm!!!!!!! So I took them out thinking they were not original. I may have to rethink this now that I see your values. They still are 5KOhm apart but maybe your pots have been changed to lower value ones?

More importantly, how do they sound to you? Hot?
NYGeorge

Unread post by NYGeorge » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:15 pm

I really seldom crank the volume on any of mine so I can only say they are responsive and sound good. I have no reason to believe they are not original.

Return to “Electric Guitar, Amps & Effects”