Do blondes have more fun?

This section is dedicated to players of electric guitar. From beginner to expert and all in between. Everyone is welcome here.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Buzzard, Saul

User avatar United States of America
NYGeorge
Member
Member
Posts: 304
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:26 pm

Do blondes have more fun?

Unread post by NYGeorge » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:09 pm

In real life I prefer redheads but sometimes the blondes win out.
Those of you who follow Reverb will ,no doubt,recognize this sweetheart.
Been wanting one for ages and I thought it looked pretty good for the price. As I recall I paid just under $900.00 for my SA50 some years ago and that was in excellent close to mint shape. as it turns out this one is nearly as nice. Pretty much blemish free excepting some tarnish on the pickup cover but I can live with that, At any rate here she is.

Image

Image

Image
The last picture shows the nice color in the MOP. Just arrived a couyple hours ago so I just checked it out for a couple minutes. Sweet! Now I have to mow the lawn so no more fun for a while.
User avatar United States of America
Asmikace
Member
Member
Posts: 247
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:13 pm

Re: Do blondes have more fun?

Unread post by Asmikace » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:21 pm

I am afraid you don't have a SA 50 as it does not have the tremolo. You have a SA 90 which was the deluxe model with ebony fretboad and inlays.
User avatar Denmark
Buzzard
Specialist Moderator
Specialist Moderator
Posts: 2466
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:38 pm
Contact:

Re: Do blondes have more fun?

Unread post by Buzzard » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:02 pm

HNGD George, I'm sure this blonde will have fun at your place. :D :wink:
Asmikace wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:21 pm
I am afraid you don't have a SA 50 as it does not have the tremolo. You have a SA 90 which was the deluxe model with ebony fretboad and inlays.
Now we come to the big question: which model is she actually ?

Regards
Peter
Yamaholic, Guitars, Amps and Bikes. :idea: My Guitars: http://www.yamahamusicians.com/forum/vi ... =24&t=7004 :idea:
User avatar
hypercarrots
Member
Member
Posts: 165
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:13 am

Re: Do blondes have more fun?

Unread post by hypercarrots » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:44 pm

she looks like a he
17 BB734A (TMB), 16 RS620 (BCC),16 RS502T (BGR), 84 BB1200S (burgundy), 82 BB1200S (burgundy), 80 BBVI (BL), 79 BB1200 (ST), 79 BB1200 (NT), 78 BB1200 (ST), 74 SA-70 (sunburst), 69 SA-30T (sunburst)
User avatar United States of America
NYGeorge
Member
Member
Posts: 304
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:26 pm

Re: Do blondes have more fun?

Unread post by NYGeorge » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:36 pm

Asmikace wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:21 pm
I am afraid you don't have a SA 50 as it does not have the tremolo. You have a SA 90 which was the deluxe model with ebony fretboad and inlays.
I think you misinterpreted my post.
I'm well aware this is an SA90 I have had my SA 50 for a few years. Remember not all SA 50's have a trem only the SA50ts. They also only have 3 controls and a different head stockand3 layer binding as opposed to 5.. BTW mine is actually not a 50 as it has the smaller pickups.
User avatar United States of America
Asmikace
Member
Member
Posts: 247
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:13 pm

Re: Do blondes have more fun?

Unread post by Asmikace » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:28 am

NYGeorge wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:36 pm
Asmikace wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:21 pm
I am afraid you don't have a SA 50 as it does not have the tremolo. You have a SA 90 which was the deluxe model with ebony fretboad and inlays.
I think you misinterpreted my post.
I'm well aware this is an SA90 I have had my SA 50 for a few years. Remember not all SA 50's have a trem only the SA50ts. They also only have 3 controls and a different head stockand3 layer binding as opposed to 5.. BTW mine is actually not a 50 as it has the smaller pickups.
Sorry about that. I been seeing SA90 getting listed as the wrong model on reverb quite a bit. Too bad not with a steal of a price
User avatar New Zealand
TheSupposedStringMeister
Member
Member
Posts: 92
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:42 am
Contact:

Re: Do blondes have more fun?

Unread post by TheSupposedStringMeister » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:07 am

NYGeorge wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:09 pm
In real life I prefer redheads but sometimes the blondes win out.
Those of you who follow Reverb will ,no doubt,recognize this sweetheart.
Been wanting one for ages and I thought it looked pretty good for the price. As I recall I paid just under $900.00 for my SA50 some years ago and that was in excellent close to mint shape. as it turns out this one is nearly as nice. Pretty much blemish free excepting some tarnish on the pickup cover but I can live with that, At any rate here she is.

Image

Image

Image
The last picture shows the nice color in the MOP. Just arrived a couyple hours ago so I just checked it out for a couple minutes. Sweet! Now I have to mow the lawn so no more fun for a while.
Love it. Congratulations mucho.

If you don't mind, you can now help me with an SA90 pickup puzzle.... Will you?

Oh, and yes, I like your blonde SA90 much better than my sunburst one...
User avatar Netherlands
Mimasu
Member
Member
Posts: 181
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Do blondes have more fun?

Unread post by Mimasu » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:10 pm

Great guitar.

Still missing a SA90 in my collection.

I always wonder how these old 'natural' finish Yamaha's seem to keep their original colour. On most other brands these guitars would have been much more yellowed by now.

Enjoy her.

Leon
User avatar United States of America
Asmikace
Member
Member
Posts: 247
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:13 pm

Re: Do blondes have more fun?

Unread post by Asmikace » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:11 pm

With my SG 45 and 85, I love the simple blonde finish on the SG 45 even though the SG 85 has the more classier appointments. That beautiful charm of the blonde made me buy it on impulse. Its going to be a dream when I get home to put new pickups and maybe refret it.
User avatar United States of America
NYGeorge
Member
Member
Posts: 304
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:26 pm

Re: Do blondes have more fun?

Unread post by NYGeorge » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:39 pm

TheSupposedStringMeister wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:07 am
NYGeorge wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:09 pm
In real life I prefer redheads but sometimes the blondes win out.
Those of you who follow Reverb will ,no doubt,recognize this sweetheart.
Been wanting one for ages and I thought it looked pretty good for the price. As I recall I paid just under $900.00 for my SA50 some years ago and that was in excellent close to mint shape. as it turns out this one is nearly as nice. Pretty much blemish free excepting some tarnish on the pickup cover but I can live with that, At any rate here she is.

Image

Image

Image
The last picture shows the nice color in the MOP. Just arrived a couyple hours ago so I just checked it out for a couple minutes. Sweet! Now I have to mow the lawn so no more fun for a while.
Love it. Congratulations mucho.

If you don't mind, you can now help me with an SA90 pickup puzzle.... Will you?

Oh, and yes, I like your blonde SA90 much better than my sunburst one...
What is your riddle and I'll see if I can help.
User avatar New Zealand
TheSupposedStringMeister
Member
Member
Posts: 92
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:42 am
Contact:

Re: Do blondes have more fun?

Unread post by TheSupposedStringMeister » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:13 am

Okay, when I bought my SA90 some years ago I measured the pickup's DC resistance and got values that did not make sense. I took them out to see if they were stamped at the back with SA-90 and the japanese date.... but they weren't. So I assumed that they were non original pickups...
Then I found other pictures on the web that showed that the SA90 pickup construction is different and matched mine! So I wonder if mine are original after all. To date I have been unable to find anyone who can do a DC resistance reading so we can compare values. So perhaps you can do that?

If you have an Ohm meter, it is very easy to do. You just put a cable in the guitar and measure the other end for each of the pickup switch selector settings.

Oh, and btw, check out my latest post on my website.... you may want to read the manual :D
User avatar United States of America
Asmikace
Member
Member
Posts: 247
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:13 pm

Re: Do blondes have more fun?

Unread post by Asmikace » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:34 am

TheSupposedStringMeister wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:13 am
Okay, when I bought my SA90 some years ago I measured the pickup's DC resistance and got values that did not make sense. I took them out to see if they were stamped at the back with SA-90 and the japanese date.... but they weren't. So I assumed that they were non original pickups...
Then I found other pictures on the web that showed that the SA90 pickup construction is different and matched mine! So I wonder if mine are original after all. To date I have been unable to find anyone who can do a DC resistance reading so we can compare values. So perhaps you can do that?

If you have an Ohm meter, it is very easy to do. You just put a cable in the guitar and measure the other end for each of the pickup switch selector settings.

Oh, and btw, check out my latest post on my website.... you may want to read the manual :D
I want to say the SA90 shares the same pickups as the SG85. I would check but I probably won't be home till thanksgiving.
User avatar United States of America
NYGeorge
Member
Member
Posts: 304
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:26 pm

Re: Do blondes have more fun?

Unread post by NYGeorge » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:51 pm

TheSupposedStringMeister wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:13 am
Okay, when I bought my SA90 some years ago I measured the pickup's DC resistance and got values that did not make sense. I took them out to see if they were stamped at the back with SA-90 and the japanese date.... but they weren't. So I assumed that they were non original pickups...
Then I found other pictures on the web that showed that the SA90 pickup construction is different and matched mine! So I wonder if mine are original after all. To date I have been unable to find anyone who can do a DC resistance reading so we can compare values. So perhaps you can do that?

If you have an Ohm meter, it is very easy to do. You just put a cable in the guitar and measure the other end for each of the pickup switch selector settings.

Oh, and btw, check out my latest post on my website.... you may want to read the manual :D
[/quote
I checked out the manual briefly thanks for posting it I'll study more later. My neighbor has a multi meter. Just to see if I understand what you are saying. Plug the cord into the guitar and put one probe on each of the sections of the other end. Is that correct?
User avatar New Zealand
TheSupposedStringMeister
Member
Member
Posts: 92
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:42 am
Contact:

Re: Do blondes have more fun?

Unread post by TheSupposedStringMeister » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:33 am

NYGeorge wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:51 pm
TheSupposedStringMeister wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:13 am
Okay, when I bought my SA90 some years ago I measured the pickup's DC resistance and got values that did not make sense. I took them out to see if they were stamped at the back with SA-90 and the japanese date.... but they weren't. So I assumed that they were non original pickups...
Then I found other pictures on the web that showed that the SA90 pickup construction is different and matched mine! So I wonder if mine are original after all. To date I have been unable to find anyone who can do a DC resistance reading so we can compare values. So perhaps you can do that?

If you have an Ohm meter, it is very easy to do. You just put a cable in the guitar and measure the other end for each of the pickup switch selector settings.

Oh, and btw, check out my latest post on my website.... you may want to read the manual :D
I checked out the manual briefly thanks for posting it I'll study more later. My neighbor has a multi meter. Just to see if I understand what you are saying. Plug the cord into the guitar and put one probe on each of the sections of the other end. Is that correct?
Yes that is correct. You will need to take 3 measurements. One with the pickup selector for the bridge position, one for the neck position and one for both pickups on. The latter will be about half the reading of what the other 2 are. Oh, and make sure that the volume and tone pots are FULLY OPEN, ie, loudest setting and most treble!!!
User avatar United States of America
NYGeorge
Member
Member
Posts: 304
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:26 pm

Re: Do blondes have more fun?

Unread post by NYGeorge » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:44 pm

So in reality I would only be measuring the ratio of resistances of the two pickups as the cord must have some resistance.
Post Reply

Return to “Electric Guitar, Amps & Effects”