SA 700 Custom Order ?

This section is dedicated to players of electric guitar. From beginner to expert and all in between. Everyone is welcome here.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Buzzard, Saul

User avatar United States of America
JDZ

SA 700 Custom Order ?

Unread post by JDZ » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:00 am

Here's the details on this guitar as asked to compare in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=11714

It's a typical SA 700 in every way except that as opposed to an Rosewood board with dot inlays it has an Ebony board with split block mother of pearl inlays. So the big question is: Are the ebony board and inlays factory Yamaha, as in a custom order; or did someone have the board swapped at some point?

Here are some pics of the guitar itself. Can see it was kept out of its case a lot, but pretty sweet looking.

I have a few guitars to compare this one to. The SA 700, SA 1000 and SA 2000 were all introduced in 1977 and were made until 1982 or 83. Dating shouldn't matter much, but the SA 700's can't be dated as the back of their pickups are blank and the pots have no codes on them, unlike the SA 1000 or 2000. Anyway, I have another SA 700, as well as a '78 SA 1000 and a '79 SA 2000. 1000 and 2000 both have Ebony boards, 1000 has dot inlays and 2000 split block mother of pearl inlays.

Below are pics comparing all four guitars. One quick note, I hadn't yet oiled the blonde 700's board when the pics were taken, so the ebony looks lighter than the 1000 and 2000.

Comparison at 12th Fret:

Comparison at 21st Fret:

Comparison at end of Fretboard:

Comparison of Inlays to SA 2000:

I also checked the fretboard radius on each and they all have a 14" radius.

So - what do you think: factory Yamaha or done by a Luthier later on?
If Yamaha could it have been a custom ordered guitar or done for a trade show?

:confusion-confused:

John
User avatar New Zealand
TheSupposedStringMeister

Re: SA 700 Custom Order ?

Unread post by TheSupposedStringMeister » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:48 am

Nice work and photos. The binding is not as rounded as the other 3. It is also much yellower, even on the parts one normally doesn't touch, ie, look how yellow it is at the bridge pickup. I wonder if it has been varnished with some stain?
What is the serial number? If it is a real early one then some Yamaha aberration? If it was done later by a luthier, then why?

Whatever the case, it is super workmanship by either Yamaha or a 3rd party.
Great Britain
balston11

Unread post by balston11 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:36 am

I agree the binding looks different and to my eyes the frets look taller on the new guitar. I would have thought that if it was a Yamaha factory fitted that the board would be from another model. I can't find, although I have only had a quick look, a model from 77 to 83 that has a board like that. The SAs have different inlays the SF700 has inlays like that but not with one on the first fret. The AE 2000 is similar but shorter. I lean towards an aftermarket mod but not certain. Good job whatever.
Bill
Web http://www.alston-family.co.uk for lots of Yamaha and other guitar information
User avatar Netherlands
Mimasu

Unread post by Mimasu » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:47 pm

Looks like a modified AE2000 fretboard to me. Two inlays added, somewhat longer, and missing the 'tip' at the body side.

IMG_1557.JPG
IMG_1557.JPG (70.61 KiB) Viewed 402 times

Same era guitar.

Or just a custom job with a SA2000 type ebony board with AE2000 inlays.

Leon
JDZ

Unread post by JDZ » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:15 am

TheSupposedStringMeister wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:48 am
The binding is not as rounded as the other 3. It is also much yellower, even on the parts one normally doesn't touch, ie, look how yellow it is at the bridge pickup. I wonder if it has been varnished with some stain?
What is the serial number? If it is a real early one then some Yamaha aberration? If it was done later by a luthier, then why?
Look at the very first picture with no pickguard, bridge or tail piece installed. Guitar has yellowed. It looks like it spent alot of time out of the case, saddles and screws in bridge were caked with dust. Color of the binding on the neck is same as entire guitar I think all have yellowed.

Serial number is 002469
Mimasu wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:47 pm
Looks like a modified AE2000 fretboard to me. Two inlays added, somewhat longer, and missing the 'tip' at the body side.
Same era guitar.
Or just a custom job with a SA2000 type ebony board with AE2000 inlays.
AE2000 and its inlay look 'inspired' by the Gibson Super 400.

It is largely the same inlay except rotated 90 degrees.

I think the fretboard on the SA 700 is original from Yamaha.
The dot markers on the binding look identical. Looking down on the board the binding looks the same. Has fret over binding, which is Yamaha.

I think there would be more signs if it had been replaced or easily identified differences. Looks too close to Yamaha work to be done by someone else.

I think it was probably a custom order or done for a show. :eusa-think:

John
Great Britain
balston11

Unread post by balston11 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:27 pm

John
You can see the actual guitar we can only see pictures so you are more likely to be right. Do you mind if I put some of this on my web site. I get visitors who aren't members here and they often email me. Could be someone knows about this.
Bill
Web http://www.alston-family.co.uk for lots of Yamaha and other guitar information
JDZ

Unread post by JDZ » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:16 am

Hi Bill,

Sure, go for it.
Will be interesting to see what might come up.

John

Return to “Electric Guitar, Amps & Effects”