help identifiying Yamaha bridge

This section is dedicated to players of electric guitar. From beginner to expert and all in between. Everyone is welcome here.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Buzzard, Saul

User avatar Netherlands
Mimasu
Member
Member
Posts: 208
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:01 pm
Contact:

help identifiying Yamaha bridge

Unread post by Mimasu » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:40 pm

This bridge is supposed to be a Yamaha bridge. I have never seen any bridge like this on a Yamaha electric though.
IMG_0061.jpg
Any of you have any clue?

Leon
User avatar United States of America
Asmikace
Member
Member
Posts: 253
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:13 pm

Re: help identifiying Yamaha bridge

Unread post by Asmikace » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:53 pm

I dont think Yamaha ever used harmonica style bridges. I know sellers like to state multiple makes for a part just because they have little info.
User avatar Great Britain
Les Turnbull
Member
Member
Posts: 117
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:30 pm

Re: help identifiying Yamaha bridge

Unread post by Les Turnbull » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:36 am

The ABR 1 bridge that fits Gibson is 73.66 mm from the center of each post hole , The other standard is the Nashville bridge which is 1 mm wider .
I need the measurement for a Yamaha SG bridge width myself as the SG 300 I have had the bridge missing and I had to fashon two angled posts to slide on a tunamatic ABR 1 type .
User avatar Netherlands
Mimasu
Member
Member
Posts: 208
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:01 pm
Contact:

Re: help identifiying Yamaha bridge

Unread post by Mimasu » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:06 pm

Asmikace wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:53 pm
I dont think Yamaha ever used harmonica style bridges. I know sellers like to state multiple makes for a part just because they have little info.
I had the same thoughts, but the bridge came in a batch with other parts that clearly were from an old Yamaha. So I thought perhaps I missed a bridge like this somewhere.

Leon
User avatar United States of America
Asmikace
Member
Member
Posts: 253
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:13 pm

Re: help identifiying Yamaha bridge

Unread post by Asmikace » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:59 pm

Mimasu wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:06 pm
Asmikace wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:53 pm
I dont think Yamaha ever used harmonica style bridges. I know sellers like to state multiple makes for a part just because they have little info.
I had the same thoughts, but the bridge came in a batch with other parts that clearly were from an old Yamaha. So I thought perhaps I missed a bridge like this somewhere.

Leon
Do you have a picture of the parts? Maybe looking at the parts will help source what guitar it came from.
User avatar United States of America
JDZ
Member
Member
Posts: 96
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:51 am

Re: help identifiying Yamaha bridge

Unread post by JDZ » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:11 pm

Mimasu wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:40 pm
This bridge is supposed to be a Yamaha bridge. I have never seen any bridge like this on a Yamaha electric though.

IMG_0061.jpg

Any of you have any clue?

Leon
1980 Ibanez Catalog:

Image

I've noticed some SG 3000's w/ Ibanez Gibraltar bridge, so one may have been supplying the other - or used common suppliers.

John
User avatar Netherlands
Mimasu
Member
Member
Posts: 208
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:01 pm
Contact:

Re: help identifiying Yamaha bridge

Unread post by Mimasu » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:54 pm

John,

That bridge sure looks like the Ibanez bridge in the 1980 catalog. Also the same posts.
Asmikace wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:59 pm
Do you have a picture of the parts? Maybe looking at the parts will help source what guitar it came from.
Here we go.
IMG_0067.jpg
Typical mid 70'ies mid 80'ies Yamaha branded tuners (SF, SL, LP stype). Electronics typical twin HB style with switch near the pots, black knobs, creme open type HB's.

Leon
User avatar United States of America
JDZ
Member
Member
Posts: 96
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:51 am

Re: help identifiying Yamaha bridge

Unread post by JDZ » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:46 am

Looks like it was used on quite a few Ibanez models from mid 70's up until about 82. Artist series, Destroyer, Bob Weir model...and this one that says it is a copy of a Yamaha SH:
Ibanez2662.jpg
That Ibanez was only made in 1975, so would be early 70's Yamaha to look for the SH.

John
User avatar United States of America
Asmikace
Member
Member
Posts: 253
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:13 pm

Re: help identifiying Yamaha bridge

Unread post by Asmikace » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:50 pm

JDZ wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:46 am
Looks like it was used on quite a few Ibanez models from mid 70's up until about 82. Artist series, Destroyer, Bob Weir model...and this one that says it is a copy of a Yamaha SH:

Ibanez2662.jpg

That Ibanez was only made in 1975, so would be early 70's Yamaha to look for the SH.

John
First time I heard of a Yamaha SH, I think its a typo of SG or SX.
User avatar Netherlands
Mimasu
Member
Member
Posts: 208
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:01 pm
Contact:

Re: help identifiying Yamaha bridge

Unread post by Mimasu » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:28 am

Yes, looks like a kind of SX.

But I've ever heard of Ibanez copying a Yamaha. It should not be crazier 8O .

Leon
User avatar United States of America
JDZ
Member
Member
Posts: 96
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:51 am

Re: help identifiying Yamaha bridge

Unread post by JDZ » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:23 am

LOL - It is an X, not an H.
Font and micro fine print didn't help. :crying-yellow:

So did Yamaha make an SX model with that bridge?
User avatar United States of America
Asmikace
Member
Member
Posts: 253
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:13 pm

Re: help identifiying Yamaha bridge

Unread post by Asmikace » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:34 am

JDZ wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:23 am
LOL - It is an X, not an H.
Font and micro fine print didn't help. :crying-yellow:

So did Yamaha make an SX model with that bridge?
I looked pics online of them and even my own doesnt have them.
User avatar Great Britain
Les Turnbull
Member
Member
Posts: 117
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:30 pm

Re: help identifiying Yamaha bridge

Unread post by Les Turnbull » Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:54 pm

Yamaha stoptail usually has that harp thing stamped on it and there buckers usually have 3 screw for tilt adjustment . The 3 way switch looks the same as one I had to change out of a 1980 Les Paul copy made in japan with the name Avon on the headstock but that 3 way is short wired so could match with the Ibanez picture above .
Post Reply

Return to “Electric Guitar, Amps & Effects”