SG90vsSg175 pickups

This section is dedicated to players of electric guitar. From beginner to expert and all in between. Everyone is welcome here.

Moderators: Buzzard, Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar United States of America
NYGeorge

SG90vsSg175 pickups

Unread post by NYGeorge » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:34 am

Does anyone know if the SG 90 used the same pickups as the 175?
Asmikace

Re: SG90vsSg175 pickups

Unread post by Asmikace » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:28 pm

I dont know since its hard to aquire to both guitars. I would assume they are different. My SG 45 and 85 pickups sound different as the 85 sound great compared to the 45 pickups.
User avatar Great Britain
somebodyelseuk

Unread post by somebodyelseuk » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:19 pm

I'd be surprised if they were different, to be honest.
Even today, having two "identical" spec pickups is no guarantee that they will sound the same, and pickups manufacturing was much more 'hit n miss' back in the '70s.
Measure the resistance of a bucket full of even the "best quality" pots and you'l get a wide variation. The tolerance on CTS pots is +/- 20%, which means a 500k pot could read anywhere between 400k and 600k. That's the difference between dull and muffled and 'slice yer ears off' trebley.
Don't assume that two otherwise identical guitars that sound different MUST have different pickups or 'it's the wood'.
NYGeorge

Unread post by NYGeorge » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:09 pm

Guess I should reveal my reason for asking. Some time ago I bought a pretty beat SG175 with swapped pickups. Due to the extreme thickness of the finish I was able to sand out a lot of the dings in the finish so it looked pretty good. I subsequently bought a set of SG700 pickups reasoning that the 700 was nearly concurrent with the 175 and 90. Also I never thought I would be able to source any 175 pickups in my lifetime. So to make a long story even longer I just bought that red Sg90 that has been on Reverb for quite a while. I offered,he countered,I counter countered etc and I saved some cash. And the 90 is apparently pretty rare itself. Anyway my thought was to use the 90 pups in the 175 as that is as close as I would ever get. The 90 should be here Monday so I will see how it looks up close and personal. In a way it's kinda bad to strip an original guitar to fix another and how much different would the value of the 175 be regardless of what kind pups it had if they weren't original. As you can tell I'm a bit conflicted over this. Maybe it was all just an excuse to buy another guitar. :roll:
User avatar Great Britain
somebodyelseuk

Unread post by somebodyelseuk » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:28 pm

I'd be inclined to leave the 90 as is and use the 200 pickups in the 175. assuming the 90 is in original condition. The 175 isn't, so there's no harm in using any pickup, wiring, pots etc, you're not going to harm it's value. The 90... if it's original parts and you start pulling it apart...
I have a 1000 and a 2000, both untampered with, that I've owned from new. They don't get played anymore, because the pickups don't suit what I do these days, but because of their age/value, I can't bring myself to change the p/ups... I dream of finding a gutted 1/2000 to which I'd put in a pair of Montys PAFs...
Regarding the 200 pickups, they might have ceramic magnets. Depending on your preference, you could easily swap the magnets for AlNiCo for a "better" tone - about £12 a pair.
NYGeorge

Unread post by NYGeorge » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:45 pm

Yes you are right re: original vs re pupped. I do recall though I can't find the source now that the original ad for the 175 and 90 just said "2 humbuckers" whereas I believe the ad for 700 and later said ":2 hi output humbuckers" so might actually get more juice from the 700s.

Return to “Electric Guitar, Amps & Effects”