New,red and sparkly

This section is dedicated to players of electric guitar. From beginner to expert and all in between. Everyone is welcome here.

Moderators: Buzzard, Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar United States of America
Asmikace

Re: New,red and sparkly

Unread post by Asmikace » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:30 pm

I like the MG headstock that gives it brand identity so vote for me.

You should to a picture with the MG and SG 5 to see how the color comparies.
User avatar Netherlands
Mimasu

Unread post by Mimasu » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:38 pm

Struny wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:24 pm
Headstick +1 for Yamaha
:)
I love it :lol: ..... and indeed......I wouldn't call that a 'headstock' too. 8-)

Leon
User avatar Great Britain
balston11

Unread post by balston11 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:34 am

Okay as requested I have done a bit of comparison might be worth mentioning cost I paid £265 for my extremely rare MGS and Teles like mine are currently going for over £600 on Ebay.
Looks and feel My Tele looks like a 52 Telecaster Iconic and much loved but The MGS is so different it would really stand out on stage and it is a beautiful colour. I haven't weighed them but the tele feels considerably heavier.
The biggest difference is the neck the tele is a quite uncomfortable to me thick V shaped neck and the 7.25" radius whilst easy on chords is difficult on the bends. The MGS is a much easier play for me. Thinner neck and 13.75" radius
Sounds the neck pickup on the Yam is a sweeter sound than the tele and I can't see me ever using the neck only on the Fender but might on the Yamaha
Using both pickups together both sound very similar not really much to choose I would be happy playing either. However when in comes to the bridge pickup the Yamaha just doesn't have that Tele twang the Fender is just perfect as I suppose you would expect.
So perhaps a draw Yamaha much better value for money great looks and feel but that Fender Tele Twang is so good.
Bill
Web http://www.alston-family.co.uk for lots of Yamaha and other guitar information
User avatar Netherlands
Mimasu

Unread post by Mimasu » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:26 pm

Thanks Bill, great test. :clap:

The neck is a matter of taste. I like these big V-shaped necks. That MGS looks like it's made for the 'speedy fingered'. I'm not one of those (You could say I'm slowly fingered 8-) ).

I think missing the tele twang has to do with the body and the neck PU. Does the neck PU has a brass bottom plate? I think that adds to the tele twang. Further the body of the MGS is basswood I think. The most twang you get out of a alder or ash body.

BTW: once had a custom build tele with maple nack and maple body. That was almost too much twang :D

Leon
User avatar Ireland
Struny

Unread post by Struny » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:18 am

If your only "gripe" with the Yamaha is the bridge pickup, maybe try swapping it for the Fender one?
My guess is since the Yamaha has fast and flatter neck the pickup is probably on the hotter side hence the lack of twang?
User avatar Great Britain
balston11

Unread post by balston11 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:10 pm

Yes swapping pickups would be a solution I do like to keep my guitars original but could always swap back.
Bill
Web http://www.alston-family.co.uk for lots of Yamaha and other guitar information
User avatar United States of America
NYGeorge

Unread post by NYGeorge » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:31 pm

Just thought I would update this thread. I still have not taken the MGS out of heavy rotation. I think it is the most fun and easiest to play of all my guitars. And I have more than 2 to choose from. If you get a chance grab one. Unless of course you are strictly an LP sort of person. And if you spot a blue one and don't want it give me a shout

Return to “Electric Guitar, Amps & Effects”