Beginner advice for bass setup

This section is dedicated to players of electric guitar. From beginner to expert and all in between. Everyone is welcome here.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Buzzard, Saul

User avatar United States of America
Ermayolar

Beginner advice for bass setup

Unread post by Ermayolar » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:25 am

Hey guys, I've been wanting to learn bass for a long time but synths have put the death grip on my finances up until now.

I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice around starting out.I don't really have anywhere close by that i can go check out gear so i've just been reading and listening to a bunch of demo's to narrow down some choices.

My budget is probably no more than $3-400 for bass and amp. So far the bass that has got me the most interested in the $200 range is the Ibanez grs200. I have mixed feelings around buying an amp because i will probably be playing in headphones most of the time but i know i will prefer to play on an amp when i have the place to myself.
The amp i found was Acoustic B100 MKll so if anyone has recommendations on those i'd appreciate it as well.

I understand the first and most important step is learning how to play but the thing i'm afraid of is not being happy with the sound quality from cheap gear and feeling discouraged to practice. Maybe i'm putting the cart before the horse on this ?

Thanks for any advice you guys can offer !
Last edited by Ermayolar on Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar Great Britain
Les Turnbull

Re: Beginner advice for bass setup

Unread post by Les Turnbull » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:09 pm

My brother plays Bass for a couple of bands and he usually plays it through the PA ,Very rarely dose he play it through a amp as they are a big lump to lug around .
I have a Peavey Millenium BXP bass and last time I played with a band I played it through the PA .At home I play it through a Amstrad Studio 100 used as a PA into a Aiwa Hi Fi for amplification . Had my Bass around 10 or 12 years now purchased mainly for home recording but never bothered buying a amp .
Attachments
20171204_114111 (1280x720).jpg
User avatar Ireland
Struny

Unread post by Struny » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:09 pm

Hi Ermayolar,
Nothing wrong with your choice, maybe the amp is bit too much if anything. For long time I've used Marshall MB15 and never used on full at home. 15 watt is plenty, great to have is aux in so you can run lead from pc/mp3 etc in your amp and play along with songs you like.
For bass it's try before you buy. If you play guitar you'll know if it feels good and if not maybe your friend could help out? My preference is passive, no need to change batteries and also second hand as you get more for your buck and save some trees too lol. Since it's Yamaha forum :lol: Yamaha BB204 or TRBX174 would be solid choice, precision pickup and jazz in bridge, classic vibe squier is another good one.
And cheap is not always bad. I still play my first Encore P bass. For me P bass will always sound good especially with well cured 10yr old strings.
Happy hunting and good luck with your bass :dance:
hypercarrots

Unread post by hypercarrots » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:56 am

get an ibanez mikro gsrm20
17 BB734A (TMB), 16 RS620 (BCC),16 RS502T (BGR), 84 BB1200S (burgundy), 82 BB1200S (burgundy), 80 BBVI (BL), 79 BB1200 (ST), 79 BB1200 (NT), 78 BB1200 (ST), 74 SA-70 (sunburst), 69 SA-30T (sunburst)

Return to “Electric Guitar, Amps & Effects”