Revstar 502T problems

This section is dedicated to players of electric guitar. From beginner to expert and all in between. Everyone is welcome here.

Moderators: Buzzard, parametric, Derek, Saul

User avatar Great Britain
rlw

Revstar 502T problems

Unread post by rlw » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:11 pm

Yamaha Revstar 502T.png
Hi - I'm new here but it seems like the obvious place to ask the question.

I have a Revstar 502T, bought used a couple of weeks ago. It's in great condition showing little, if any, sign of use but....

The G string was plinky - not ringing out - above the 10th fret, as was the B as well, but not so bad. I took it to the local repair shop who said that there wasn't anything wrong with it and it played really well. They suggested that the height of the tailpiece was creating a very shallow break angle at the bridge, and this was causing the plinkiness, which made sense.

They setup the guitar for me and I collected it today and the G string is just the same. They adjusted the neck, adjusted the nut and lowered the action but, honestly, the string not ringing out is really annoying me. I've now destroyed the setup by adjusting the bridge and the tailpiece every which way in an effort to make the string ring out, but it seems impossible.

Any thoughts? I'm actully thinking of taking the tailpiece off and fitting a wrapover bridge, or maybe even a proper tailpiece as a way of curing the problem as it is driving me mad.

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Revstar 502T problems

Unread post by Saul » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:19 pm

Hi rlw, welcome to yamahamusicians.com :)

Puzzling thing is the guitar repairer said there was nothing wrong with it and it played fine yet he/she then said "suggested that the height of the tailpiece was creating a very shallow break angle at the bridge, and this was causing the plinkiness, which made sense." How would they know that if as they say, it played fine and there was nothing wrong with it? :confusion-confused:

Where did you buy it from? Some stores will check the guitar and set it up for you before you receive it. In any case I would simply have taken it back for an exchange or refund. All revstar guitars should play fine right out of the box...allowing for temp fluctuations of course.

I would not worry about having messed up the setup. As long as the guitar repairer didn't damage the guitar in any way and it plays pretty much the same as it did when you got it...with those existing issues you should still take it back where you bought it and get an exchange.
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Yamaha FS-TA/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors
rlw

Unread post by rlw » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:41 pm

It was bought secondhand and privately so no chance of an exchange without going through the eBay process.

I would like to get it sorted out but you are kind of suggesting that there may be an issue with it if I read you correctly?
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:04 pm

Ahh ok I didn't read your post closely enough. I can see you said you bought it used a couple of weeks ago. Must get better glasses!

If it is used then the previous owner may have changed the strings for a different make or gauge than originally fitted. This can have an adverse affect as the guitar need to be set up for the strings that are on it and some guitars are just never right with different strings. I have an acoustic like that. It is fine with the standard strings but put anything else on there and the action needs tweaking.

The revstar 502T comes with Elixir Electric Nickel Plated Steel with Nanoweb Coating 0.010-0.046 so that is probably the first thing I would check. I would assume your guitar repairer fitter new strings but might be worth asking?

Next I would check the saddles very closely. I have heard of one or two revstars where they had worn enough already to cause the sort of "dull note" issues you are experiencing. Seems to be quite soft metal.

Personally I would not mess with the truss rod because this particular issue doesn't appear to be anything to do with it.

Anyway check those things and then get back to me.
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Yamaha FS-TA/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors
balston11

Unread post by balston11 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:06 pm

Often problems like this are caused by the way the string contacts the bridge or the nut. Is it catching in either try lubricating the nut and bridge with something like pencil lead and just ensure that there's no roughness in the nut slot or on the bridge.
Bill
Web http://www.alston-family.co.uk for lots of Yamaha and other guitar information
rlw

Unread post by rlw » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:23 pm

Thanks for your help guys.. I'll let you know how I get on.