JX amp caution

This section is dedicated to players of electric guitar. From beginner to expert and all in between. Everyone is welcome here.

Moderators: Buzzard, Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar United States of America
NYGeorge

JX amp caution

Unread post by NYGeorge » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:36 am

I was watching some JX amp videos on Youtube and on one of them was the following comment

"To anyone with a Yamaha JX amp: DANGER! These amps have a 'death cap'. I found that I had been playing guitar with live 100v mains voltage on the strings! This was because the live wire is connected directly to the metal case through the death capacitor, which had failed. Good job I was wearing thick soles. Check your JX amp with a multimeter immediately. Remove the capacitor, rewire so there is no direct mains connection to the case, and change the two prong plug to an earthed / grounded three prong plug immediately. Good luck! "

Is this just an alarmist or did he get a amp that was messed with? I have a couple JXs but have not played them extensively nor have I ( so far) been knocked across the room. :o
Any input appreciated.
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: JX amp caution

Unread post by Saul » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:06 am

It's the first time I have heard of this but then again perhaps everyone has just been lucky! Were there any follow up comments on that video?
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Makro Racer
User avatar Netherlands
Mimasu

Unread post by Mimasu » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:00 pm

I never had any attention for it........ but I checked........ and indeed all my 3 JX amps have a two pronged plug. So not grounded. But my G5 too. I think I'll have to think about this issue some time. It can't be that deadly becourse in the 80'ies almost every guitarplayer used a JX at some time I think and most of them survived.

But for the time being I think I'll stop playing my JX's lying in my bathtub :lol:

Leon

BTW: all my near dead experiences with electricity were with tube amps. No bad experience with solid state amps till now 8) .
User avatar United States of America
NYGeorge

Unread post by NYGeorge » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:20 am

Saul
No there was no follow up and no reports of electrocution. The person who posted called it "mains" power a term I have only heard on your side of the pond .
Leon
I have 3 JXs now and I think I saw that one of them had the ground prong cut off. A common practice back in the day when you wanted to plug in to a 2 prong outlet or cord.
Adapter we don't need no stinking adapter.

Return to “Electric Guitar, Amps & Effects”