What electric guitar is the most versatile?

This section is dedicated to players of electric guitar. From beginner to expert and all in between. Everyone is welcome here.

Moderators: Derek, Buzzard, parametric, Saul

India
viprit77

What electric guitar is the most versatile?

Unread post by viprit77 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:26 am

Hey all,
First of all, some background information. I have been playing classical guitar for 2-3 months I would say, and I believe I have passed absolute beginners' stage. Yet, I have no interest in playing classical guitar (was playing just because I had one spared by my cousin), so I'm gonna buy an electric guitar fairly soon. However, the problem is, my taste is a little bit wide. I love blues, rock, metal and also jazz. I am imagining a guitar that is capable of sounding like Joe Bonamasa, Dream Theater, Europe, Opeth (even Opeth is wide enough to require more than one guitar I guess, but financial concerns...), Alter Bridge at the same time. I know, I know; at least something close to that. So far, I believe closest call is Yamaha Pacifica 112 series (since budget is my concern), but there seem to be hell of a lot of options. Also I consider buying Blackstar ID: Core 10 V2 as amplifier based on its good references all over the web, but not sure if it suits my playstyle. Not sure if anything, at least for limited budget, fits my styles. Even if not, plase share if you have close calls. Thanks in advance!
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: What electric guitar is the most versatile?

Unread post by Saul » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:21 pm

Most versatile guitar? There are plenty of options and a lot will come down to personal preferences.

If I were on a limited budget and wanted the widest range of sounds from my electric guitar I would probably go for something like the Pacifica 112 or 120H.
Yamaha Pacifica 120H.jpg
Yamaha Pacifica 120H
Or better still look around for a used RGX121Z as that will give you a lot of options.
Yamaha RGX121Z.jpg
Yamaha RGX121Z
Of course Yamaha are not the only game in town. The Ibanez GSA60 is a really nice guitar for the money as is the GRG140 or perhaps the GRG170DX. All three are below £200.
Ibanez GSA60.png
Ibanez GSA60
Ibanez GRG170DX.png
Ibanez GRG170DX
There are plenty of other options but for most versatility I personally would stick to something that had two humbuckers with coil tap, one at the bridge and the other at the neck and a single coil pickup in the middle position.

Anyone else got some suggestions?
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Yamaha FS-TA/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors
User avatar Great Britain
balston11

Unread post by balston11 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:08 pm

If on a budget I would go for a Pacifica 112 unless there was a good second hand market in which case I might try and find a good deal on a 6 series Pacifica
Bill
Web http://www.alston-family.co.uk for lots of Yamaha and other guitar information
User avatar United States of America
Polaris1

Unread post by Polaris1 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:29 pm

What I would do Is play as many as you can get your hands on in the price range you are looking at. New and used, I tend to find most of my guitars at pawn shops in really bad shape, but once restored, wow. That might not be in the cards for you unless you do your own work.
there are a lot of decent guitars out there in that price range, but all are not equal.
I have picked up 800 dollar guitars I thought sounded, well bad, and picked up 150 dollar guitars that sounded, pretty good.
three of the same guitars on the wall, play them all, one will stand out to you if they don't, wasn't right for you, and that is all that matters, doesn't matter what your friends or hero's play.

last week while getting some new strings at the local store, played a older used squire strat on sale for 149, beat up a bit, but it had real good tone.
So don't go by a name as much as what your hear and feel, if that were the case I would of never picked up my first Tokai at that pawn shop, would of
never none about them....so glad I did.
just my two cents...
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:53 pm

Absolutely agree that really it doesn't matter what is on the headstock. If it feels good and sounds good then just go for it :)

I think the original poster is in India and I know from experience as I get a lot of email from beginner guitarists over there that there is not always a huge choice depending on which part of the country you are in.
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Yamaha FS-TA/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors

Return to “Electric Guitar, Amps & Effects”