Moving Up From The Guitar Starter Pack - What would you buy next?

This section is dedicated to players of electric guitar. From beginner to expert and all in between. Everyone is welcome here.

Moderators: Derek, Buzzard, parametric, Saul

User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Moving Up From The Guitar Starter Pack - What would you buy next?

Unread post by Saul » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:54 pm

I saw this question posted in a video the other day. If you had received a electric guitar "Starter Pack" for Christmas, birthday etc and had perhaps been playing a few months, what would your next step be?

Let's say you had £200/€232/$265 to spend what would you spend it on? A new guitar?, better amp? some pedals?

Most starter packs come with either a Squire Strat and Squire 10 watt amp or a Epiphone Les Paul and Epiphone 10 watt amp. The guitars themselves are fine but what about those amps?

Given that...in my opinion the amp is the weakest link in both those packages I would probably spend the money on a better amp. My reasoning is the guitar is probably fine for your first 12 months or so. They are generally well made and play well enough. But, what you want when just starting out is to sound as good as possible and these cheap mini amps are never going to sound great no matter how good your playing skills are.

Of course you won't get everything for £200 but you will get something that is in a whole different league to the amp that came with the guitar. If you sound good, you will want to play more and the more you play the better you will get.

So my money would go on the Orange Crush 20RT.
https://amzn.to/2T9v6d7
Orange Crush 20RT.png
Orange Crush 20RT
Orange Crush 20RT.png (545.51 KiB) Viewed 286 times
It's a lot of amp for just £159 (price correct as of 1st March 2019)

So if you had £200 to spend where would your money go?
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Yamaha FS-TA/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors
User avatar United States of America
NYGeorge

Re: Moving Up From The Guitar Starter Pack - What would you buy next?

Unread post by NYGeorge » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:08 am

Hows about THR10. Way more features and pretty close to your target price.
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:19 am

I think the Orange is more my kind of amp. THR is ok but I don't think I would buy one.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

Yamaha FS-TA/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:45 pm

Or....the BOSS KTN-50 for around £189 - https://amzn.to/2NDXBJR
BOSS KTN-50.png
BOSS KTN-50
Specification
With 50 watts of power and a custom 12-inch speaker, the Katana-50 delivers a commanding range of gig-worthy tones that gracefully slice through any band scenario. The amp also excels for home playing, with a uniquely efficient design and innovative Power Control that provides inspiring sound and response at low volumes. In addition, the Katana-50 includes integrated access to 55 BOSS effects, which are customizable using the free BOSS Tone Studio editor software. Up to 15 different effects can be configured in the amp at one time, enabling you to bring fully prepared tones to the stage in one amp.

Features
  • Stage-ready 50-watt combo amp with a custom 12-inch speaker
  • Five unique amp characters: Clean, Crunch, Lead, Brown (derived from the Waza amp), and Acoustic (for acoustic-electric guitars)
  • Choose from 55 customizable effects with BOSS Tone Studio editor software
  • Store 15 different effects on board, with three effects available simultaneously
  • Dedicated gain, EQ, and effects controls for adjusting sounds quickly
  • Two memories for storing and recalling all amp and effect settings
  • Power Control for achieving cranked-amp tone and dynamic response at low volumes
  • Built-in tilt stand for optimal monitoring and sound projection
  • Pro setups available at BOSS Tone Central
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

Return to “Electric Guitar, Amps & Effects”