Replacement Nut for Revstars

This section is dedicated to players of electric guitar. From beginner to expert and all in between. Everyone is welcome here.

Moderators: Derek, Buzzard, parametric, Saul

User avatar United States of America
camh

Replacement Nut for Revstars

Unread post by camh » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:05 pm

Greetings! As a new Revstar user, this is my first post on the forum, so thanks in advance for your help. I have searched for, and seen, a lot of posts about replacing the plastic nut on the Revstar series. I am the proud owner of a new RS620 and while I have seen that this is a popular mod, I have been unable to find whether any of the pre-cut nuts from TUSQ would fit the Revstars directly. Does anyone have a recommendation on which TUSQ nut to purchase or are you guys simply buying the TUSQ material and having it cut by your local luthiers? Any feedback would much much appreciated. Thanks!

Cam
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Replacement Nut for Revstars

Unread post by Saul » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:27 pm

Hi camh, welcome to the forums :)

I think that nut is the first thing I would replace on most Yamaha guitars. The Urea material they are using as standard is not something I am a big fan of, not only because of the materials it is made from but I also don't think it does guitars of this quality any justice at all. Why Yamaha use it when their competitors are using either Buffalo bone, TUSQ or NuBone I really don't understand.

As far as I know there is no specific "revstar" replacement nut from GraphTech. They do three nut options:

Pre-slotted nuts:
almost all of the work is done, all that is needed is final fit for length, height and thickness.
Nut blanks:
nut blanks have some shaping done but slots slots will have to be cut as well as final fit for length, height and thickness
Nut slabs:
nut slabs are simply a block of material that can be used to make the entire nut (or anything else) from scratch.

I know you were probably looking for someone who had already replaced it and could give you the correct sizing but all I know is the nut is a 43.0 / 52.5 mm with 10.5mm string spacing.
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Yamaha FS-TA/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors

Return to “Electric Guitar, Amps & Effects”