Where to I learn basic and intermediate Guitar Theory Online?

This section is dedicated to players of electric guitar. From beginner to expert and all in between. Everyone is welcome here.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Buzzard, Saul

User avatar United States of America
tony77

Where to I learn basic and intermediate Guitar Theory Online?

Unread post by tony77 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:05 pm

Hello everyone,

So ive been playing guitar for a 2 years now for fun nothing too serious. Play a range of acoustic songs that I like. I know alot of basic chords and alot of barre and power ones too.

The big gap in my knowledge is theory. I just play covers and thats it I know nothing at all about theory or scales. I want to know where I can learn music theory online preferably for free. As of now, my current goals that I would want to acheive are:

How to memorise notes on the Fret Board How to put together chords into a progression How to know what the name of the chord is Basic and Intermediate scales Key of Music ( key of Am etc ) and how to fit them together in a song

How to play individual notes over a rhythm/melody and much more.

If anyone can help me with just basic and intermediate stuff I would appreciate it, Thanks.Akinatorhttps://xender.vip/ https://testmyspeed.onl/
Last edited by tony77 on Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Where to I learn basic and intermediate Guitar Theory Online?

Unread post by Saul » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:43 pm

Hi Tony, welcome to the forums and the string section :)

Everything you need is probably online and for free these days. YouTube is the best resource mainly because you can choose from a wide variety of genres and teaching methods and you can always pause a video and keep going over parts you need to concentrate on.

I can highly recommend Paul Davids channel. He's a fantastic guitarist and also a great teacher. He does have his own video course that could be worth a look too so check that out.

Also Karl Golden who again is a fantastic player and is always putting up new videos about riffs and songs to play. Does it all in a very humorous style too :)

And another... JustinGuitar is all about free lessons so might be perfect for what you wanted. Justin is a superb guitarist and he has been doing this since 2003 hence he has close to a million subscribers.

There are of course hundreds if not thousands of guitar tutorial video channels out there so if anyone wants to throw a few more into the ring please do.
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Makro Racer
User avatar Jamaica
orishka

Re: Where to I learn basic and intermediate Guitar Theory Online?

Unread post by orishka » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:47 am

jamtrackcentral dot com

On Youtube I dig:

Rick Graham
Claus Levin
Feodor Dosumov
Tom Quayle
Alex Hutchings
Sam Birchall
Sergey Golovin
Martin Miller
Mateu Asato