Where to I learn basic and intermediate Guitar Theory Online?

This section is dedicated to players of electric guitar. From beginner to expert and all in between. Everyone is welcome here.

Moderators: Buzzard, Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar United States of America
tony77

Where to I learn basic and intermediate Guitar Theory Online?

Unread post by tony77 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:05 pm

Hello everyone,

So ive been playing guitar for a 2 years now for fun nothing too serious. Play a range of acoustic songs that I like. I know alot of basic chords and alot of barre and power ones too.

The big gap in my knowledge is theory. I just play covers and thats it I know nothing at all about theory or scales. I want to know where I can learn music theory online preferably for free. As of now, my current goals that I would want to acheive are:

How to memorise notes on the Fret Board How to put together chords into a progression How to know what the name of the chord is Basic and Intermediate scales Key of Music ( key of Am etc ) and how to fit them together in a song

How to play individual notes over a rhythm/melody and much more.

If anyone can help me with just basic and intermediate stuff I would appreciate it, Thanks.Akinatorhttps://xender.vip/ https://testmyspeed.onl/
Last edited by tony77 on Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Where to I learn basic and intermediate Guitar Theory Online?

Unread post by Saul » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:43 pm

Hi Tony, welcome to the forums and the string section :)

Everything you need is probably online and for free these days. YouTube is the best resource mainly because you can choose from a wide variety of genres and teaching methods and you can always pause a video and keep going over parts you need to concentrate on.

I can highly recommend Paul Davids channel. He's a fantastic guitarist and also a great teacher. He does have his own video course that could be worth a look too so check that out.

Also Karl Golden who again is a fantastic player and is always putting up new videos about riffs and songs to play. Does it all in a very humorous style too :)

And another... JustinGuitar is all about free lessons so might be perfect for what you wanted. Justin is a superb guitarist and he has been doing this since 2003 hence he has close to a million subscribers.

There are of course hundreds if not thousands of guitar tutorial video channels out there so if anyone wants to throw a few more into the ring please do.
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Novation ReMote 61SL/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Minelab Equinox, Golden Mask One 15 kHz.
User avatar Jamaica
orishka

Unread post by orishka » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:47 am

jamtrackcentral dot com

On Youtube I dig:

Rick Graham
Claus Levin
Feodor Dosumov
Tom Quayle
Alex Hutchings
Sam Birchall
Sergey Golovin
Martin Miller
Mateu Asato

Hope that helps!
Cheers
User avatar Virgin Islands (USA)
barrysingh102

Unread post by barrysingh102 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:19 pm

You can literally learn almost everything in the Internet. So, why not guitar!!
From my experience, I found it easy to start the very basics like the simple major chords learning from my friend. Then, I started shifting to tutorials in youtube. Just search whatever you want to learn in youtube.

Just choose your way of playing - first, plectrum( with the pick) or classical (fingerstyle). Aim for one style and master it. This 2 styles are offered by the Trinity College of London. So, better not to mix as then, you cant be called good in either of them.

Start with chords and then shift to scales. Many people used to get bored of scales and start learning songs ( like me, who ignored scales). But,scales are very important if you are interested in improvisation and composing.

Return to “Electric Guitar, Amps & Effects”