Replacing the standard revstar nut with TUSQ

This section is dedicated to players of electric guitar. From beginner to expert and all in between. Everyone is welcome here.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Buzzard, Saul

User avatar Wales
Ewraysure

Re: Replacing the standard revstar nut with TUSQ

Unread post by Ewraysure » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:52 pm

RichardG wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:22 am
Thanks for the tip. I was thinking about doing that as the gloss finish on the neck is a bit sticky, was afraid I might spoil the look of the guitar though. Would love to see your pictures
You be the judge.

Of course the back of the neck is not visible when it's played. I think the clean line between the sanded and the original finishes looks good (achieved by sticking some insulating tape on the neck before sanding) - and the front of the guitar has a brushed finish anyway. I'm not bothered about any problems this might cause if when reselling as these guitars are keepers - and anyone buying it would only be impressed by their playability.

This is the YouTube video that was the main source for the work - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOfbLcWcarY&t=114s. I did this first on a Squire Tele and was knocked out by the improvement. It's no exaggeration to say it took about ten minutes to do and the difference was immediately noticeable. I also made a few final passes with talc on the 1500 grit sandpaper which was recommended by someone, somewhere.
Back of Revstar neck.jpg
Back of Revstar neck.jpg (87.01 KiB) Viewed 259 times
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:12 pm

Looks great to me. (Y)

I have never been a fan of gloss necks anyway and am not quite sure why manufacturers make them. For me it inhibits smooth movement up and down the neck.
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Makro Racer
User avatar Great Britain
RichardG

Unread post by RichardG » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:30 pm

Ewraysure wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:29 pm
Great guidance!
I've got a 620 and an 820 Revie. The existing action on the 620 which I bought on ebay is perfect for me, so I'll duplicate of it's nut dimension and depth of cuts.
You mentioned that the original nut was super-glued. Was this problem when you knocked it out?
The superglue was on the face of the nut bonding to the top end of the fretboard. I've occasionally known this to take out a bit of wood from the fretboard when tapping out the nut but this didn't happen. It did leave knobbles of superglue which I carefully scraped off with a craft knife and gently filing the offending bits being careful not to eat into the fretboard wood itself. As the nut is set in a very slight slot it's best to try to tap it gently from the side edges of the nut, alternating tapping between both ends several times to loosen the bond to avoid damaging the slot. If it still won't come out there are plenty of tips online that might help. I did use a small amount of wood glue to the base of the new nut, not supposed to be as bad for the guitar if you ever need to replace again. Good luck.
User avatar Great Britain
RichardG

Unread post by RichardG » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:32 pm

Ewraysure wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:52 pm
You be the judge.
Very nice, think I'll give it a go.

Return to “Electric Guitar, Amps & Effects”