Studio Lord and Lord Player update

This section is dedicated to players of electric guitar. From beginner to expert and all in between. Everyone is welcome here.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Buzzard, Saul

User avatar Great Britain
balston11

Studio Lord and Lord Player update

Unread post by balston11 » Wed May 08, 2019 1:42 pm

I have posted a huge update to my LP and SL pages most of it by way of a page 2 please check it out and let me have comments and any corrections etc
It's here http://www.alston-family.co.uk/sllp/indexsllp.php
Most interestingly I have come across a model I didn't know about an LP1000 Custom I came across this on Elite Vintage Guitars site and thought at first it was a miss-identification of an 800 custom but having chatted to Jay from Elite Vintage and looked more closely I now know that it's a separate model. If you haven't visited Jay's site you should do he has an amazing collection of Yamahas and other vintage guitars you can get there from my links page and he lets's me use his pictures.
Bill
Web http://www.alston-family.co.uk for lots of Yamaha and other guitar information
User avatar United States of America
NYGeorge

Re: Studio Lord and Lord Player update

Unread post by NYGeorge » Wed May 08, 2019 2:50 pm

Nice job Bill. 22 different models Wow! I have considered a LP type many times but always found something more unique to buy.
As to Elite guitars I has drooled over that collection many times. He is little pricey but seems to have only really nice items for sale.
Once again I thanks you for all your work on these pages.
User avatar Netherlands
Mimasu

Unread post by Mimasu » Wed May 08, 2019 6:21 pm

Great work Bill :clap:

Leon
User avatar Netherlands
Mimasu

Unread post by Mimasu » Wed May 08, 2019 11:23 pm

Bill,

I know there is always a lot of discussion on whether the LP's and SL's follow the known SG serial numbering system. Looking at my guitars I think it comes close (None of them has a PU date code I'm afraid). Here we go:

SL500 serial 002236, would match the production years;
SL550 serial 005074 would too;
SL600S with 001404 wouldn't match I'm afraid;
LP400 with 311563 would match;
LP500 with 135830 would too.

BTW: Since I can think I use the same strings (make and gauge) on my electric guitars. Making it easier to compare. Sound differences on the LP's and SL's are huge in my opinion. Some sound OK and that's all. But my LP500 stands out with superb sound. Don't know about differences in PU's, but I'm convinced the body wood makes a difference. Agathis or Mahogany.

Leon
balston11

Unread post by balston11 » Thu May 09, 2019 8:52 am

Thanks for the info Leon I will add these serial numbers to the list. I am going to add more as I find them to see if I can see a pattern.
Interesting what you say about the sounds. I think the pickups and electronics are the main factors but the debate about the effect of wood rages through all guitar forums.
Bill
Web http://www.alston-family.co.uk for lots of Yamaha and other guitar information
balston11

Unread post by balston11 » Thu May 09, 2019 9:32 am

Leon
311563 I can't find this range in my serial number lists what year does it represent?
Bill
balston11

Unread post by balston11 » Thu May 09, 2019 1:09 pm

Added a few more serial numbers and whilst not absolutely conclusive it looks like
The first series 1976 to 1979 follow the SG numbering system
The second series 1979 to 1981 in the majority of case don't follow the SGs
The third series 1982 to 1983 the majority look like they do follow the SGs
The Lord Players follow the SGs
Bill
User avatar Netherlands
Mimasu

Unread post by Mimasu » Thu May 09, 2019 5:56 pm

balston11 wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 9:32 am
Leon
311563 I can't find this range in my serial number lists what year does it represent?
My bad :/: .

Doesn't match the SG system at all. Just checked but for sure it says 311563 on the back of the headstock.

Leon
Donfenn

Unread post by Donfenn » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:29 am

Hi there... I can't figure out why I never joined this site earlier, but I might have more Studio Lords and Lord Players than any sane person should own... I have already worked with Bill Alston and have shared some of my info, which he has posted on his own Yamaha guitar site. 8) Happy to be here
balston11

Unread post by balston11 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:35 am

Hi Don

Great to see you here welcome
Bought any new guitars lately?
Bill
Donfenn

Unread post by Donfenn » Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:57 pm

Yes, I picked up another black Lord Player LP 400 last month... Remarkably serial is only 14 numbers apart from one I have owned for a while, so it was likely built in same batch.. 5X21000 series.

I am fond of these later Yamaha Studio Lords and Lord Players. I have noted that the SL450 and SL550 are quite similar to the LP400 and LP500... except for the tuning machines. I also think that the tops of bodies on both of these series are slightly more carved than my earlier Studio Lords. Note that Lord Player series LP 400 is a set neck, unlike the Studio Lord SL400

I have also seen some late SL450 guitars with imprinted/embossed serials like the Lord Players rather than the white printed serials which were common on earlier Studio Lords... Just further evidence that the Studio Lord morphed into the Lord Player in early 1980's

Here are some photos:

A photo of a Studio Lord SL450 next to a Lord Player 400.... These models seem to be almost the same guitar except for tuning machines(knobs have been changed on Studio Lord)... Pickups may be different, but I have noted that my Studio Lords and Lord Players with same model designation and pick ups often have different tones and sound profiles. It may be the wood, or possibly the aging of magnets etc?

The second photo is (2) SL550 Studio Lords (with cream humbuckers and standard push-push coil splitters)
Attachments
IMG_3009.jpg
IMG_1871 2.jpg

Return to “Electric Guitar, Amps & Effects”