New Pacifica pages

This section is dedicated to players of electric guitar. From beginner to expert and all in between. Everyone is welcome here.

Moderators: Buzzard, Derek, parametric, Saul

MD2005

Re: New Pacifica pages

Unread post by MD2005 »

I just posted pictures and background of my USA-2 in the show me your guitar thread. I was a Yamaha dealer in PA 25 years ago. The USA-1 and 2 are both Warmouth bodies and necks but finished and assembled in the old North Hollywood development center. My rep actually hand delivered my guitar to me at the shop I worked in. He was in CA and they were just finishing it so he picked it up and brought it all the way from CA to present it to me personally. Nice guy and I really wish I could remember his name.

Fantastic website you created, by the way. I’m still not done going through it all.

balston11

Unread post by balston11 »

Welcome to the forum thank you for your kind words about my web site and for the information
Bill
Web http://www.alston-family.co.uk for lots of Yamaha and other guitar information

WEDDINGTON STREET
Location.: Minnesota, USA

Unread post by WEDDINGTON STREET »

I have some nice photos of the rare Yamaha Model Pacifica 1412 and 1421.................let my know if you want me to post them here. :)

balston11

Lets see them we always like pictures
Bill
Web http://www.alston-family.co.uk for lots of Yamaha and other guitar information

Brainfertilizer
Location.: USA

Unread post by Brainfertilizer »

FWIW, the PAC USAs were reportedly set up and finished by the Hamer USA factory.
The Hamer Fan Club forum has a former Hamer build/factory employee that confirmed that, sorta. Mirrormiji if you want to join and ask him.
I say "sorta" because I've heard him say that about different models. I think it's because he's not clear about the difference between PAC USA, PAC Custom, and PAC 904, which were all the top of the line at different times, I think.

balston11

Brainfertilizer wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 8:38 pm
FWIW, the PAC USAs were reportedly set up and finished by the Hamer USA factory.
The Hamer Fan Club forum has a former Hamer build/factory employee that confirmed that, sorta. Mirrormiji if you want to join and ask him.
I say "sorta" because I've heard him say that about different models. I think it's because he's not clear about the difference between PAC USA, PAC Custom, and PAC 904, which were all the top of the line at different times, I think.
Interesting not thought too much about where USA Yamahas were made YGD probably only designed and built prototypes one of our members MD2005 was a Yamaha dealer in the USA at the time perhaps he knows.
Bill

Iggydavid
Location.: Great Britain, England

Unread post by Iggydavid »

Hi, regarding Pacifica guitars, I own a mk1 Pacifica 612V with the fabulous Orange Flame top. The back is a quite dark brown. It was made in Taiwan. The neck is quite chunky. I have an on-going love/ hate relationship with this guitar. Yes, it sounds fabulous...the tremolo is superb but the action is an issue. I just can't get it low enough. Have another members had this problem. My Pacifica 303-12 has a fabulously low action and that's a 12 string. I'll probably have to trade it in for a brand new Pacifica 112 as I've tried a few in a couple of music shops and they have all had great low actions. It's my only annoying and dissapointing purchase of anything by Yamaha.
Any suggestions on how to fix this 612V?

Iggydavid

My Pacifica PAC 303-12
My Pacifica PAC 303-12
Here's my fabulous Pacifica 12 string guitar...getting quite rare these days. I have removed the octave E and A strings as I feel that having just a single E and A string gives the sound more clarity in the bottom end sound wise.
Anyway, it's a well used workhorse of a guitar for recordings.
The serial number is MYO 08201
Can someone tell me when it was made?
Thanks...

balston11

It was made November 1996
Bill

balston11

Iggydavid wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 2:25 pm
Hi, regarding Pacifica guitars, I own a mk1 Pacifica 612V with the fabulous Orange Flame top. The back is a quite dark brown. It was made in Taiwan. The neck is quite chunky. I have an on-going love/ hate relationship with this guitar. Yes, it sounds fabulous...the tremolo is superb but the action is an issue. I just can't get it low enough. Have another members had this problem. My Pacifica 303-12 has a fabulously low action and that's a 12 string. I'll probably have to trade it in for a brand new Pacifica 112 as I've tried a few in a couple of music shops and they have all had great low actions. It's my only annoying and dissapointing purchase of anything by Yamaha.
Any suggestions on how to fix this 612V?
I am sure it just needs a proper setup ask your local guitar tech.
Bill

Iggydavid

Here's my Yamaha Pacifica 612V mk1.
Serial number QKH 0425 R.can anyone tell me when it was made.?
My Yamaha Pacifica 612 V mk1.
My Yamaha Pacifica 612 V mk1.

Iggydavid

Just to clarify...it's the 612V that may have to be let go of...certainly not the 303-12...that most definitely is a keeper :)

balston11

January 2004
Bill

Iggydavid

Here's my DIY guitar surgery up-date...I've suffered far too long from a much too high action on my Pacifica 612V mk 1...but the bridge was already at its lowest point...nowhere to go but try and raise the neck...solution...add a shim in the neck cavity....should I go to a guitar tech or do it myself.
Deep breath...ok I'll dive in and do it myself.

Yesterday I took the plunge and removed the neck from my treasured but annoying Pacifica 612V...there was a very narrow shim (3mm wide) almost at the back of the neck cavity. Looked like a piece of cardboard business card. I guess that this was done by the previous owner... I believe that I am only the second owner of this guitar though. I added a second shim of my own right up against the back of the neck cavity...a piece of cardboard (8mm wide)... from a cereal packet!. So, yes, it's about the same thickness as a business card. Now the two shims overlap. All in all, not a great thickness...but double what it was.
Ok, to cut a long story short. The neck is back on.
The bridge can now be raised (it needed to be now).
I haven't raised the pick-ups as they still sound great.
This tiny bit of DIY surgery has made it a great one to play...a keeper now.
Moral of the story... have a go, you CAN do it.