SGV 800: Replacement Tremolo bar?

This section is dedicated to players of electric guitar. From beginner to expert and all in between. Everyone is welcome here.

Moderators: Derek, Buzzard, parametric, Saul

User avatar Ireland
johniwhite

SGV 800: Replacement Tremolo bar?

Unread post by johniwhite » Tue May 28, 2019 12:31 pm

Hi Folks,

I have an 80s SGV 800, and I need a replacement Tremolo bar. I haven't got anywhere trying to get help—or responses!—from Yamaha or Irish Yamaha dealers.

I wonder if other Yamaha electric whammy bars would fit? Pacifica etc.

Incidentally I got a lend of a Fender Strat one and the thread seemed to be a perfect fit. I wish hadn't lost it in the first place. Eiter my nephew lost it, or I've lost it under the mess that is my attic!

Thanks,
John
Last edited by johniwhite on Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar Great Britain
balston11

Re: SVG 800: Replacement Tremolo bar?

Unread post by balston11 » Tue May 28, 2019 1:52 pm

It's quite likely that the Strat trem arm would fit but do you know where the trem came from. The Mexicans, Japanese and Americans are all different thread sizes. Do you mean SGV they were all made in Taiwan so possibly same thread as an MIJ strat
Actually just realised I have the SGV service manuals give me a email address and I'll send them.
Bill
Web http://www.alston-family.co.uk for lots of Yamaha and other guitar information
balston11

Unread post by balston11 » Tue May 28, 2019 2:03 pm

Update
The USA is a 10-32 thread which is 3/16" width the MIJ and MIM are metric being 5mms width
Bill
Web http://www.alston-family.co.uk for lots of Yamaha and other guitar information
User avatar Ireland
johniwhite

Unread post by johniwhite » Tue May 28, 2019 3:46 pm

Hi Bill, thanks for the reply!

The strat trem that fits is a Squier, I think. Another friend of mine lent me an Asian strat bar—of some kind—and it was too thin.

Maybe I need to bring it into a local music shop and see what fits. I wish I could find the lost one. It was made specially for this instrument and it was in two threaded metal pieces—no plastic.
John
balston11

Unread post by balston11 » Tue May 28, 2019 3:56 pm

sgv service manual 2.pdf
(193.97 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
SGV service manual.pdf
(590.96 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
Just realised I can post the service manuals here. Hope thye are of some use. Also there's quite a bit of info on those guitars on my web site you might find it interesting
You can also get a 5mm ordinary wood screw and with finger pressure only see if it screws into your trem block if it does so and fits well thats the right size for the trem arm
Bill
User avatar Ireland
johniwhite

Unread post by johniwhite » Tue May 28, 2019 4:24 pm

Thanks Bill ;)
User avatar Ireland
johniwhite

Unread post by johniwhite » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:34 pm

Hi Folks,

I've just confirmed—very easily, back of the headstock—that it was made in Taiwan. Bill, you were correct.
User avatar United States of America
NYGeorge

Re: SGV 800: Replacement Tremolo bar?

Unread post by NYGeorge » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:30 pm

Seems someone should go into the Yamaha trem arm business. I've lost track of how may are missing from my guitars. I'm pretty sure I could reproduce the early flat strap type. We have a water jet place local to me and they could probably make them from stainless. The question always becomes economy of scale. I go right by there fairly often I'll try and remember to stop and check them out.

Return to “Electric Guitar, Amps & Effects”