SA2000 series

This section is dedicated to players of electric guitar. From beginner to expert and all in between. Everyone is welcome here.

Moderators: Buzzard, Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar United States of America
gnappi

SA2000 series

Unread post by gnappi » Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:55 pm

New member here, nice site.

I'm a retired longtime player, and somewhat of a collector and like semi hollow models in particular wayyy over solid body and somewhat over fully hollow electrics.

Being a member on several forums I see little chatter on Yamaha semis, and even less on the 2000 series. This surprises me as the mid to upper tier of other brands get a substantial amount of traffic while the very well appointed SA2000 series seem to get very little.

Maybe that's one reason that has kept me from pulling the trigger on one for so long, as well as my affinity for natural finishes and mid to upper tier models which seem rather scarce in the SA2000 models.

So if there is a question to be asked, is there some hesitancy by players to buy into the 2000 models while the other lower tier models seem to be well represented in player's hands?
Advertisement
Electronic Music Production Courses from Loopmasters.com
User avatar Great Britain
balston11

Re: SA2000 series

Unread post by balston11 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:53 pm

Lots of discussion here on the Sas but we always welcome more. I am a fan of all SAs my SA1200S is my favourite guitar but I would love to expand and get a another especially is I could find a 2500.
You might enjoy the SA section of my website here http://www.alston-family.co.uk/SA/indexsa.php
Welcome to the forum
Bill
Web http://www.alston-family.co.uk for lots of Yamaha and other guitar information
Asmikace

Unread post by Asmikace » Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:52 pm

The SA guitars are imho are one of the most undervalued Semi hollow/335 style guitars on the market. When I was trying to get my first 335 I was eying a Gibson or Heritage but the Yamaha 2200 had nicer features for lower price and my nicest guitar I ownm I think also Ibanez is another go to for semi hollow guitars that people overlook Yamahas.

For the SA 2000, I see them starting to go for good money know but for a few hundred dollars more in comparison to other lower digit SA guitars. Still they are great for the money and even great to find deals on.
gnappi

Unread post by gnappi » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:09 am

I've kept a lookout for a natural 200x for a while and recently found one in not original condition (replaced pups and frets) and I pulled the trigger on it.

NGD to follow after it arrives, that is IF it arrives safely. I've had some dismal luck in the recent past with shipping damage.
JDZ

Unread post by JDZ » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:25 am

gnappi wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:55 pm

Being a member on several forums I see little chatter on Yamaha semis, and even less on the 2000 series. This surprises me as the mid to upper tier of other brands get a substantial amount of traffic while the very well appointed SA2000 series seem to get very little.

Maybe that's one reason that has kept me from pulling the trigger on one for so long, as well as my affinity for natural finishes and mid to upper tier models which seem rather scarce in the SA2000 models.

So if there is a question to be asked, is there some hesitancy by players to buy into the 2000 models while the other lower tier models seem to be well represented in player's hands?
No hesitancy whatsoever, but it is hard to find SA 2000's in good shape and with original pickups. The YN version in natural is really hard to find, but after looking for a long time, one did come up for sale and I jumped on it.

I'm a 335 junkie, well I only go after Japanese 335's. SA 2000 is among the best of them and a relative bargain. Most of the Japanese brands went for very high accuracy to the early Gibson's, but when Yamaha did their refresh of the SA line in '77 they went their own way but made them look much closer to a 335 than they had previously.

'77-82 SA's are my favorites. What the 2000 has over the 700, 1000 and 1200S are its pickups. Pickups in 700 are ok, in 1000 and 1200S they are really good. SA 2000 pickups are excellent. I wouldn't buy a 1000, 1200S or 2000 unless it had its original pickups. I do like ebony boards, so you get that with all of these except the 700. Build quality across all of the models is consistently high.

If you want super accuracy to a '59 335, then early 80's Greco SA 1200 and Tokai ES-150 and ES-100 are the winners. Ignoring historical accuracy, SA 2000 is right up there with the Greco's and Tokai's. There are other really amazing Japanese semi acoustics from this time as well.

So after looking for a long time I did score one of the elusive SA 2000's in YN, natural blonde, a '78

Asmikace

Unread post by Asmikace » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:17 am

I dont know why but Yamaha guitars seem more sexier with blonde natural finish.
gnappi

Unread post by gnappi » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:10 pm

Asmikace wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:17 am
I dont know why but Yamaha guitars seem more sexier with blonde natural finish.
For me the natural enhances the view of curvature of the top that very few gits ever show well.

As for buying a git that's not original, not a biggie for me. Over the years I've accumulated a number of pups in various trades even though I'm NOT a modder. If this one turns out a sonic dud, I doubt it will be for long.
JDZ

Unread post by JDZ » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:31 pm

You can definitely find great pickups for it :) But to your original question, other than the pickups, an SA 2000 is largely the same guitar as an SA 1000 or SA 1200S, which are excellent guitars, built to the same consistent high quality and have ebony boards just like the 2000. I like the look of both dot neck and the split blocks, great playing guitars either way.
gnappi

Unread post by gnappi » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:15 am

The SA2100 (Taiwan) arrived today, and I have to say, it's top notch. The re-fret is impeccably done, as were the pup changes and the rest (switch and jack) of the electronics.

I'm aware that the MIT SA's are not held in high regard, but having two ES-335's in house to compare it to it is beautifully made. The "F" holes were carefully sanded glass smooth and finished, something Gibson has yet to do. It also balances perfectly on the leg, unlike any Gibson 3xx I own or have owned. I REALLY like this in a git. No diddling with seating position or necessity to wear a strap to correct the typical Gibson body heavy issue.

The neck is analogous to the 335 "slim taper" while I prefer more meat it's immediately familiar in the hands. I have no issue playing it or my 335 with a similar profile.

Pups are tonerider alnico 2 vintage classics and there's no need to change them. Believe me with a seriously decent stock of pups in house I've collected over the years in horse trades... I have pups from makers like Benedetto, Armstrong, Bartolini, DiMarzio, Schaller, Gibson, Duncan and others I'd not be bashful about dumping them if they needed it. The coil split sounds pretty good, the best I've heard. I've been 100% nonplussed about coil splitting, as none I've tried were close enough to a real single coil. The only somewhat usable system I've played or owned is the Ibanez AS series, it can get some decent tones. In the past coil splitting was a useless feature and not something to consider as useful in specs for purchases.

Tomorrow I'll do a setup and inspect it further.

Return to “Electric Guitar, Amps & Effects”