Yamaha Pacifica any good?

This section is dedicated to players of electric guitar. From beginner to expert and all in between. Everyone is welcome here.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Buzzard, Saul

fredmonta

Yamaha Pacifica any good?

Unread post by fredmonta »

Hey guys, I'm a newbie and I just started learning how to play an acoustic guitar days ago. I was wondering whether the Yamaha Pacifica is any good ? Thinking of getting one to play songs from Asking Alexandria, Bring Me The Horizon and the old school Linkin Park. Also, what amp should I get and what determines it's quality ? Just want a beginner electric guitar and amp that I can play metal on and sounds decent. Thanks :)
Last edited by fredmonta on Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

balston11

Re: Yamaha Pacifica any good?

Unread post by balston11 »

Pacifica would be a perfect choice my son learn't on one 20 years ago and still plays it after it has been gigged extensively. Have a look at my Pacifica pages here http://www.alston-family.co.uk/pac/pacintro.php that explains how the numbers work I would have thought start with a 112 for now
The amp depends on whether or not you just want to play at home in which case a small practice amp and an effects pedal would be ideal

Bill
Web http://www.alston-family.co.uk for lots of Yamaha and other guitar information
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location.: UK, West Sussex

Unread post by Saul »

Hi fredmonta, welcome to the forums :)

The Pacifica range is quite large and they are great guitars but given the musical influences you have mentioned I do wonder if it is the right guitar for what you want to do. :think:

At the same price point of the Pacifica 012 for example is the Ibanez GAX30 Black Night. Definitely a more "metal" leaning guitar! or the Ibanez GRG170DX.

There is also of course the Yamaha RGX121Z.

Or maybe something like the East Coast GV320 or Jackson JS32?

Lots of possibilities out there.

Saul
Site Admin

Appreciate the forum? Buy me a coffeeImage
Acoustic Guitar Reviews On Facebook
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Please Note: This site is at times supported by Amazon Associate and other affiliate links. Any links in my posts may lead to products on the Amazon website or other vendors websites. These will not incur any extra cost to you but may help support the running costs of the site via the generation of a small commission should you choose to purchase a product.
Asmikace
Location.: United States

Unread post by Asmikace »

Yamaha Pacifica have various of models ranging from the great bang for the money 012 and 112 guitar to the more professional 600 level guitars and not to mention the higher level guitar 900 and up and custom shop. Yamaha really got the affordable niche with the Pacifica and you can not only easily find affordable Pacifica but mod it to your liking. Like it was mention, the RGX is a good metal guitar Yamaha provides for the value as well.

Dark Guitar

Unread post by Dark Guitar »

Hi, it strongly depends on your budget, personally, my first electric guitar was a Yamaha Pacifica 112J on a Line 6 Spider III amp. A very cheap rig :mrgreen: about the amp I use it very little now, rarely, I would say...the guitar, on the other hand, has always been with me, it has almost become a test bench for trying various pickups, strings, settings...in the meantime I bought and sold other guitars, but I never thought of selling Yamaha...I would like to recommend something very similar to my 112J, with a configuration that has at least one humbucker due to what you would like to play, the guitar should allow you a certain versatility, above all because it will be the only one at the moment.

The Ibanez GRG series is a good guitar, but much less versatile than a Pacifica with SSH configuration, also the pickups have a much higher output, at the beginning I think it is better an average output to learn how to manage the dynamics on the instrument.

To conclude, I think that on a low price range, the quality/price ratio you can get from Yamaha is among the best. From the guitars I've tried for me it's better than the various Squier, Ibanez GIO...I think for a question of marketing, in Yamaha in this case you pay less for the brand.

If you want to hear how my Pac112 sounds I shared something here in the forum