Yamaha Revstar 820 cr Rusty Rat

This section is dedicated to players of electric guitar. From beginner to expert and all in between. Everyone is welcome here.

Moderators: Buzzard, Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar Portugal
vfcspok

Yamaha Revstar 820 cr Rusty Rat

Unread post by vfcspok » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:19 pm

Hi everyone! Happy new year!
Need some help...
I have a 820 and I’m getting so frustrated with 3 things...major ones...on my Revstar...
Pickups...too muddy, tuners...not good at all...and bridge...
Can you please recomend some alternatives to the stock?
I have a Rusty Rat
Thanks 🙏
Advertisement
Electronic Music Production Courses from Loopmasters.com
User avatar Great Britain
rossyamaha

Re: Yamaha Revstar 820 cr Rusty Rat

Unread post by rossyamaha » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:51 am

The pickups are dark on these. Something I found that was a cheap and easy mod was changing the pots out. Go to a 250k pot for both tone and volume and that will give you a lot more cut and clarity.

If you really want to change the pickups out, I would look at Bareknuckle or Lollar.

Tuner wise Gotoh are the ones but check everything is tight before you shell the money out.
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:39 pm

I am wondering why you should need to change anything on the Revstar 820CR? On a £1000 plus guitar you should not be needing to change pots or pickups otherwise why buy it in the first place? :think:
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Novation ReMote 61SL/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Minelab Equinox, Golden Mask One 15 kHz.
User avatar Great Britain
rossyamaha

Unread post by rossyamaha » Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:38 pm

Sometimes you just love the guitar itself but the pickups don't work for you. I currently have 14 guitars in little room here. 5 of them have had mods or pickup changes including a £2300 Suhr. I think you're lucky to find a guitar thats absolutely perfect. Close but just not quite there. The 820 pickups are quite dark so I get that if you're using that with other guitars it might be a bit too different. I like different guitars for different tones but if they are drastically different and you're limited to one rig, it can be a problem.

Return to “Electric Guitar, Amps & Effects”