Revstar R620 Snake Eye Green Review + Pictures

This section is dedicated to players of electric guitar. From beginner to expert and all in between. Everyone is welcome here.

Moderators: Buzzard, Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar Spain
Quietly

Revstar R620 Snake Eye Green Review + Pictures

Unread post by Quietly » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:56 pm

I was hoping to post some images of this guitar but everytime I try to do so I am told I cannot post links to other sites. Not sure why the insert images say post url and when you do it says you can't LOL. Most probably me but here is the review I wrote.

Yamaha Revstar RS620

What a fabulous looking guitar but as we all know looks aren’t everything and indeed beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. It’s one of those guitars you cannot wait to get your hands on but when you do be prepared for a surprise. It looks slim almost skinny but it weighs in at around the 8lb mark according to my bathroom scales. Talking to my back it weighs in a lot more but then that can be put down to old age. Conclusion its weighty which for a strapping young person is not a problem but for old farts like me best played sitting down.

Matt or satin fish appears to be the order of the day on everything except the back of the guitar and the strap buttons. I like the brushed aluminium finish on the hardware it looks classy and avoids finger prints. The Satin finish on the paintwork namely the top of the body is however another matter and in my humble opinion a mistake. It looks stunning but the moment you touch it you have a mark and it isn’t long that the areas you come into contact with start to turn glossy. What you have in no time at all is patchwork quilt of shinny bits contrasting with matt bits. Some call this giving it an individual character I call it a mess. Solution for those without a feint heart is to gently remove the Satin finish and there are many videos on Google that demonstrate how to do this. I now have a semi-gloss finish on my guitar that does not show any finger prints and looks uniform. Note should you decide to go the same root and it goes wrong do not blame me. On finish I must mention the Flame Maple Top as I am not sure why Yamaha calls it that. Yes there is a maple top and on my guitar it is one piece, next time I take the pups out I will measure the thickness; it is not a veneer. However the Flame is Photo Flame there is no join in the middle there is no bookmark and on inspection you can see it’s printed. Is that a killer no as it looks great but it is misleading as the description should read a Mahogany body with a Flame finished Maple cap. The difference is subtle but it is not misleading.

I have no idea where Yamaha get their Rosewood from but the fretboard on this guitar is superb with a very tight grain and dark in colour, if it wasn’t in the description I would almost confuse it with Ebony. Crowned with magnificent Jumbo frets and I mean Jumbo as in Elephants. They are highly polished and crowned perfectly however for some reason they never rounded the sides of the fret ends on my guitar. The frets do not stick out of the side but when you run your hand down the top outer edge you can feel the sharp corners of the fret ends. The good news is you cannot feel it when playing but I still believe they should be rounded or at least the sharp pointed edge filed off, a job for a rainy day me thinks. The Mother of Pearl inlays are perfectly set into the neck and again look stunning. The almost 23” radius may not be for everyone as indeed the width of the neck, which again takes some getting used to; as it is by any ones standards wide. Not for short fingers and bar chords I am afraid so if you have small hands/short fingers play one before buying.

Pickups ah that dreaded word and I say that because everyone has their own opinion as to what is a good pickup or not. Let me just say I think they sound superb and my only observation apart from that is that the Neck Pickup appears to have more output than the Bridge Pickup. I have countered this by lowering the Neck pickups height to balance it out so the volume is equal when I switch from Bridge to Neck. According to Yamaha they should both be set at the same height by pressing the string at the highest fret distance between the string and the Pickup should be 2mm. If I do this the volume between one Pickup and another is not balanced at all.

The wrap around bridge is a gem easy to adjust and easy to mute strings using the palm of your hand also comfortable. Setting up the correct intonation is a doddle so who could ask for anything more. Brief word on the controls is that they do exactly what they are supposed to and the pull out tone knob to roll off the lows works a treat. No crackles perfectly graduated increase and decrease in volume and tone so 10 out of 10. I have seen some comments on the size of the pots as in them being small. All I can say to that is that it isn’t the size that matters it’s what you do with it and in this case those controls are superb both in action and sound. There is a slight wobble on the tone control when pulled out but that is pretty normal.

Lastly the Tuners work perfectly and there doesn’t appear to be any binding over the Urea nut so I am not sure there is a need to replace it. However I am going put on a Tusq nut because I like to upgrade these little things but I am not so sure it is necessary on this guitar. Certainly I see no reason to replace the tuners but if I was out on the road I would put on some locking ones just to make string changing quicker.

Conclusion:-
Fortunately over the years I have owned and played some of the best guitars ever made from Custom Shop Gibson and Fender, Gretsch, PRS and Hamer’s just to mention a few and on that basis I think I can give a pretty informed and unbiased opinion. This guitar punches way over its weight and the build quality in general is up with the very best. At this price point and even much higher it would be extremely difficult to find a better playing and sounding guitar. On a final note this guitar is responsible for giving me GAS at the tender age of 74 so all that I need to do now is live long enough to enjoy it LOL.

Quietly
Last edited by Quietly on Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar Great Britain
balston11

Re: Revstar R620 Snake Eye Green Review

Unread post by balston11 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:15 pm

Many thanks for that very comprehensive review
Bill
Web http://www.alston-family.co.uk for lots of Yamaha and other guitar information
User avatar Spain
Quietly

Unread post by Quietly » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:31 pm

My pleasure Bill. I think I may have posted it on the wrong section but then I'm a newbie LOL so hopefully I am excused. :roll:
balston11

Unread post by balston11 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:46 pm

You are doing fine and contributing well
Bill
Web http://www.alston-family.co.uk for lots of Yamaha and other guitar information
User avatar Spain
Quietly

Unread post by Quietly » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:51 pm

Thank you :) I haven't been around much because quite simply I cannot stop playing this guitar. With some guitars the more you play them the more you become aware of any shortcomings and this is not the case with the Revstar. The neck takes a little getting used to but once you do it there is no going back. Tuning stability is fabulous and the pickups are IMHO nothing short of stunning, they can handle jazz tones to heavy rock with ease. I wasn't sure about getting another guitar for age and health reasons but this has given me a new lease on life. For me it could be a little lighter but then you might well sacrifice the tone and balance by doing so best left as is.
Onwards and upwards.
Quietly
User avatar Spain
Quietly

Unread post by Quietly » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:07 pm

Some pictures:-

Lord above I am still getting You can’t post image, email or url links that are external to this domain. Please remove https:
:/:
:whistle:

Quietly
User avatar Spain
Quietly

Re: Revstar R620 Snake Eye Green Review + Pictures

Unread post by Quietly » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:53 pm

OK I think I am now able to post pictures :D

It's Photoflame but still looks great:-

ImageRevstar RS620 21 by Gerry Cooper, on Flickr

Now I can't put it down:-

ImageRevstar RS620 15 by Gerry Cooper, on Flickr

It's now semi-gloss but you can still see the original brush finish under the shine. The only difference is you do not get finger prints all over it. :-

ImageRevstar RS620 20 by Gerry Cooper, on Flickr
Last edited by Quietly on Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Those who can't dance always blame the band.
Yamaha Revstar RS620, Yamaha HS80M Monitors, Focusrite 2i4 Audio Interface, NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Komplete Kontrol S61 Keyboard. Cubase 10.5 Pro, Studio One 4.6 Pro, Numerous VST instruments. PC getting old with 4GB of RAM
Windows 10 64 Bit but it still does the job.
My Music https://soundcloud.com/gerry-cooper-855281238
balston11

Unread post by balston11 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:41 pm

That is just such a great colour
Bill
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by parametric » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:49 pm

Glad to see you got the posting issues sorted out <quietly>. . . .

Though I'm a Keyboard man - I have to say that is GREAT looking Axe . . .

I LOVE that colour, it's SO in your Face :lol:

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
User avatar Spain
Quietly

Unread post by Quietly » Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:53 pm

balston11 wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:41 pm
That is just such a great colour
I think the lights and camera make it pop a little but its one hell of a guitar for the money. :)

Quietly
Yamaha Revstar RS620, Yamaha HS80M Monitors, Focusrite 2i4 Audio Interface, NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Komplete Kontrol S61 Keyboard. Cubase 10.5 Pro, Studio One 4.6 Pro, Numerous VST instruments. PC getting old with 4GB of RAM
User avatar Spain
Quietly

Unread post by Quietly » Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:59 pm

parametric wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:49 pm
Glad to see you got the posting issues sorted out <quietly>. . . .

Though I'm a Keyboard man - I have to say that is GREAT looking Axe . . .

I LOVE that colour, it's SO in your Face :lol:

parametric
We got there in the end my friend, like I said above the camera and lights spruce it up a little. However she does look a dream. New Tusq nut fitted, frets polished and action set up so now plays a treat. I play at keyboards as in my playing is little like watching a spider wading through treacle. Thank God for Midi LOL

Quietly

Return to “Electric Guitar, Amps & Effects”