Revstar with Tonepros AVTII question

This section is dedicated to players of electric guitar. From beginner to expert and all in between. Everyone is welcome here.

Moderators: Buzzard, Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar United States of America
P90_Luv

Revstar with Tonepros AVTII question

Unread post by P90_Luv » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:55 am

Just landed a used RS502 (billet green) and it hit all the checkmarks for a keeper. I did notice a janky saddle screw while setting her up. Thinking a quick upgrade would be the Tonepros AVTII used on the upper end Rev flavors. Distance between stud posts and metric thread size should be correct to accept the TP locking studs. The nickle studs and wrapper may be close to Yamaha's units which look satin or brushed in images. Here's the thing - the 502 has a 13.77" radius neck where the TP is 12". Wait...the radius and finish has me wondering?

>> The question. Is the AVT2G (new TP model number) the same as what ships on Revs or are they possibly a part made for Yamaha with a different spec.? I have Emails in to Yamaha and Tonepros but no one has replied. Shocking!

*We used ta make our own bridges outta wood*
Last edited by P90_Luv on Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Advertisement
Loopcloud Music App from Loopmasters.com
User avatar United States of America
P90_Luv

Re: Revstar with Tonepros AVTII question

Unread post by P90_Luv » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:03 pm

Replying to my own post is slightly off but this may turn into a Revstar bridge upgrade thread?

So after more Intraweb plodding I found Schaller offers what some are calling a "drop in" wraparound for Revstars. The interesting bit is Schaller states - String radius 12“ (usable for fretboard 10-14 inch). Okay, that's good to know for these 13.77 fret -"boards".

Here's what Tonepros replied back to my question:

"Thanks for contacting us! You are correct the AVT2 is a 12” radius that comes on Revstar models. The slight difference in neck radius will not actually matter with the proper setup. You run into issues when the radius is drastically different like say a 20” radius or a 7.5” radius. With a 13.77” radius the board will be just slightly flatter than the bridge and will still play and feel great! Hope this info helps! The exact model Yamaha uses is our AVT2M in Satin Nickel". Replied back to TP for availability as Satin Nickle is not to be found at StewMac, Reverb, etc.

Schaller offers the Signum in "Satin Chrome" that may be close to the factory satin goodness? They ship with metric locking posts and bushings. Pretty sure the Revstars are metric thread bushings where the supplied metric studs will thread in? Shaller's pre notched saddles make the drop in concept even easier. Still looking at Tonepros or a Pigtail with TP lockers. So many choices!

The prior owner managed to mess up the factory saddle height adjustments even galling out a couple allen screws with the effort. Oh yeah, the post screw heads are also mangled from mystery tools. Thinking some owners hack adjustments while the strings are under full tension to create this "relic" screw head art form? So without a radius gauge I drew a 13 3/4" circle on heavy paper and cut out a bridge shape. The bridge template revealed the prior "adjuster" arched her like a Roman doorway. It's cool that these saddles are adjustable to allow basically any radius but a fixed radius bridge is indeed safer for adjust-O-morons.

Return to “Electric Guitar, Amps & Effects”