Pacifica 612V mk1 bridge intonation adjustments

This section is dedicated to players of electric guitar. From beginner to expert and all in between. Everyone is welcome here.

Moderators: Buzzard, Derek, parametric, Saul

Iggydavid
Location.: Great Britain, England

Pacifica 612V mk1 bridge intonation adjustments

Unread post by Iggydavid »

Hi, my former 'troublesome' Pacifica 612V mk.1 has been now become the top class guitar that it always had the potential to be.The list of things that I've had to do to get it there is a bit of a long story...but it's finally all done and ticked off.
This final stage was to adjust the intonation.
Firstly, the low E was miles out. The bridge on these guitars are super smooth, flat and sleek as anyone who also has this particular model will already know. The only way to move the 'bridge saddles' is via a tiny Allen key or Hex Rench (if you're from The States)... and I do mean 'tiny'. It's the same tool that you need to tighten the tremolo arm actually. Unfortunately the tiny screw for the E saddle became unattached and fell off into the guitar. So I removed all the strings, unclipped the tremolo springs and took out the tremolo block. I found the tiny screw. A useful tip is to do work on your guitar on a plain coloured old bed sheet. You don't loose tiny parts on your carpet never to be seen again. Actually, I didn't need to totally un-thread all the strings...I could have taped them together once they were off the machine heads. Next time I'll remember that.
Ok, back on theme...put it all back together and screwed the saddles to where they should be for perfect intonation. As you can see...the low E string always needs to be a long way back. Same for all my guitars. New set of Ernie Ball Super Slinky strings on and I'm back in business.
A time consuming piece of DIY guitar surgery but one that I have learned from and a 'story' that will help others with the same problems.
Attachments
Pacifica 612V prior to it's many minor adjustments. A great looking guitar that is now  a superb player.
Pacifica 612V prior to it's many minor adjustments. A great looking guitar that is now a superb player.
Pacifica 612V pretty decent action now at last
Pacifica 612V pretty decent action now at last
Pacifica 612V tiny holes for bridge saddle adjustment
Pacifica 612V tiny holes for bridge saddle adjustment
Pacifica 612V bridge
Pacifica 612V bridge

Iggydavid

Re: Pacifica 612V mk1 bridge intonation adjustments

One more very useful tip for when you're working on your guitar...use an ironing board! You can adjust the height and you'll be in a more comfortable position. They're a perfect size for laying a guitar on. Just put a towel underneath your guitar for an extra bit of padding.
Just make sure that all the ironing has already been done or you may get asked to do it while the ironing board is out :)

Daviedawg

Unread post by Daviedawg »

What a super suggestion. My ironing board sits in front of a big window. Seems obvious now. Thanks Iggy
Yamahas:
SF500 Sunburst three colour Aug 1978
FZ1000 Black Sharkfin offset vee July 1986
SC400 red transparent 1982
YSG T1 in Trans Red July 1988 or 1989
RGX A2 White July 2005

Iggydavid

Another great thing is to have is a cross headed screwdriver with a magnetized tip. Stops you loosing those screws and it's super handy for when you're putting tiny screws in. It's like having a third hand.