Yamaha MG sound problem

This section is dedicated to players of electric guitar. From beginner to expert and all in between. Everyone is welcome here.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Buzzard, Saul

Lukkow
Location.: Poland

Yamaha MG sound problem

Unread post by Lukkow »

Hello, at the beginning I apologize for the grammar, I am using the google translator. I have a problem with the MG-2R guitar from the 90s. A short sound, in songs by Santana, Godfather, etc. Does anyone know this guitar model? There is some information on the MG -M series on the internet. There are no articles about the R version. What is this version? What could be caused by. Guitar set up correctly, string action OK, pickups also 2-3mm under the strings. Thank you for your help

Asmikace
Location.: United States

Re: Yamaha MG sound problem

Unread post by Asmikace »

The MG guitars were for the Japanese domestic market with various models and I don't know any resources on them. Can you clarify on the sound problem? Is it wiring issue you have?

Lukkow

Unread post by Lukkow »

Everything is fine with the electronics. The problem is with the guitar's sustain, it is much shorter than those in santana's songs. Everything in the guitar

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location.: UK, West Sussex

Unread post by Saul »

Are you running any effects at all? Compressor, noise gate etc?

Saul
Site Admin

Appreciate the forum? Buy me a coffeeImage
Acoustic Guitar Reviews On Facebook
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Please Note: This site is at times supported by Amazon Associate and other affiliate links. Any links in my posts may lead to products on the Amazon website or other vendors websites. These will not incur any extra cost to you but may help support the running costs of the site via the generation of a small commission should you choose to purchase a product.
Lukkow

Unread post by Lukkow »

I play the line6 flextone 3 xl amp. I have the noise gate turned off because it can shorten the sustain, it doesn't matter if the compressor is turned on or off. the sound is short. I get the impression of a squier loss with a modified neck it has a slightly longer sustain.
Regarding the guitar, it was on the Japanese market, but was it lower or higher in terms of quality? The R version is much worse than the M version?
Is it really the MG-IIR version?
20200904-110759.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mimasu

VIP

Unread post by Mimasu »

Lukkow wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:43 pm Regarding the guitar, it was on the Japanese market, but was it lower or higher in terms of quality? The R version is much worse than the M version?
Is it really the MG-IIR version?
Looks like a MG-IIR to me. HSS PU configuration, black finish, rosewood fingerboard. Do you have a serial number, perhaps we can narrow it down.

No real quality difference between the M and R version. One had a maple fingerboard, the other a rosewood. The M came with a SSS configuration, the R in HSS.

Both had a MSRP of 68000 yen in the early 90'ies. I think that time you would call that midrange, perhaps lower midrange.

As for the sustain. Some guitars just have that problem. A bridge likek that doesn't contribute to great sustain too. I recall a recent interview with a guitarplayer that was playing a SGV300. He loved the sound and the looks but said that it wasn't even a matter of little sustain. It was a guitar without any sustain :( .

Leon

Lukkow

Unread post by Lukkow »

Sn : 9j30065 .
I was hoping it is an upper class. in my country it was the only guitar on the auction site. I have seen the M series and these are the prices that the hardware must have had better and the price is similar ... in general, the sound is very nice, only interesting in my opinion is the short sustain.

Mimasu

VIP

Unread post by Mimasu »

This type of serial sadly doesn't indicate the exact year of production. It was used from 1986 till 1989 for Japanese production. Does your guitar says Made in Japan somewhere?

With this kind of serials ending in 1989 and production of the MG-IIR starting in 1989 this guitar most likely was produced in 1989.

Leon

Lukkow

Unread post by Lukkow »

Yes. Both the serial number and the inscription is engraved under the keys on the head of the neck at the top of the serial nuner and under it made in japan