UX16 MIDI TROUBLE BLUES

Anything to do with Midi. Controller Keyboards, Midi gear, software etc.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar United States of America
puremusic

Re: UX16 MIDI TROUBLE BLUES

Unread post by puremusic » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:04 pm

I use Studio one V3.

For setting up your audio device you just choose it in the Options section.

If your audio device is setup right, as far as I know, any new midi keyboard setup just needs you to go to External Devices, choose 'Add Device' choose 'New Keyboard' and then 'Receive From' the name of your midi device. Then you're good to go. If that isn't working, I would blame some other part.

You can click the little midi cable icon in the lower left hand corner to see if midi messages are being received when you press some keys.
Roland FP-90 - Touchkeys - TEC BC - MIDI Expression
Kontakt - Arturia CS80 - Arturia Piano V - Sonivox Eighty-Eight - Spitfire Symphony Orchestra
SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:21 pm

Yeah, you need to add a "New Keyboard" to set up a keyboard that you want to receive MIDI from-- and be sure to say that you want to receive on all 16 MIDI channels.

Then you need to add a "New Instrument" if you want to set up a keyboard that you want to send MIDI to-- and again be sure to say that you want to send on all 16 MIDI channels.

Of course, you only need to do whichever setup you intend to use, so you do not need to set up a keyboard as a "New Keyboard" if you only want to send MIDI to it (that is, use it as a sound module), and you do not need to set it up as a "New Instrument" if you only want to receive MIDI from it (that is, use it as a controller). But if you want to be able to use it either way, then you need to set it up twice-- once as a "New Keyboard" and once as a "New Instrument."

In any case, you need to be sure to select the correct MIDI device in the "Receive From" or "Send To" dropdown fields. Also, you need to do one or the other but not both-- that is, for a "New Keyboard" you want to select the device in the "Receive From" dropdown but not in the "Send To" dropdown; and for a "New Instrument" you want to select the device in the "Send To" dropdown but not in the "Receive From" dropdown.
Michael Rideout
Current keyboards: Yamaha YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443, PSR-EW400, MX49 BK
Current controllers: M-Audio Axiom 61-II
Previous keyboards: Farfisa Matador 611; Casio CTK-710
User avatar Slovenia
Xlyophonetic

Unread post by Xlyophonetic » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:50 pm

Thank you kindly, everybody, for all your input. Can I post screenshots here? It might help you see how I've got things set up.

About DAWs, thank you kindly for your recommendations, but I bought S1, and I want to use it. I spent a lot of money on it, so I am not giving up on it. I had tried before purchasing S1 the free DAWs, but they were not satisfactory to me. The ones I had tried had few more options than recording and basic editing, and I spent a lot of money (for my budget, anyway; in general S1 is one of the most affordable DAWs out there, I believe) on actually purchasing a DAW, as I want to make commercial music. If it were just for fun, I'd use the less complex ones, but I am well aware that it can theoretically happen that your song becomes popular enough for someone to recognise it was made in this or that DAW, and the representatives may contact you, and ask that you prove you own the legal version that you've got a license key for, or you might get into legal trouble, so I only want to use a DAW I've got full license to use (one has got enough to worry about with ''hey, did I unconsciously plagiarise this tune?'' and such to worry about legal aspects). Also, I really wanted to make use of all the lovely virtual instruments, so I purchased Pro (I'd already had the Artist version before). Let me also emphasise that I actually LOVE S1 as a DAW. I mean its instruments, the work flow, the possibilities. It's a wonderful DAW. I have a problem with the (lack of) tech support and the forums where people are not as much willing to help as they are point out your mistrakes. As a DAW per se, I love S1.If it would only work for once!

So what I've done now is connected everything again, and I can play the instruments in S1 now (I have it set up only as receive from YAMAHA), however, there must be a problem with the USB, as it works and then it doesn't. I play, the USB is suddenly no longer recognised, and it gets stuck on a note. The only other USB ports I could plug it in are already occupied by the speakers. The USB port itself is fine, because the PC is brand new. Any idea why it works on and off? tar-rar-rar. Works. Tar-tar-ar -ar. Doesn't work- You know this sound when you plug a USB in? That keeps going on and on. Recognised, not recognised, and it is infuriating.

Also, for you S1 users (mine is the 3 version as well), have you any idea why it says that ''driver error'' for my AUDIOBOX? I have downloaded UNIVERSAL CONTROL, and my Audiobox should be listed under AUDIO DEVICES, but it's not.

That's cool that you leave threads open. I always think ''finally! everything is perfect! I shall never have to deal with tech problems again!'', and before I know it, I'm here again, begging for help, grateful that the thread's still open. Also, I must again stress that this is a very friendly community so I'm very happy not to have to fear reproach for ''not reading the manual'', as if it ever works like the manuals say it should. :lol:
puremusic

Unread post by puremusic » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:34 pm

It sounds like you've narrowed down the problem to a USB or driver issue? OK, I have some thoughts about your issues, but before I write a lengthy post, could you try to succinctly, just list the issues you're currently having, just the technical details and precise bad behavior, keep it as short as possible and just the technical details? What OS are you using? Sorry to ask you to do it again.

The problem you have with it ceasing to be recognized as connected, and then reconnected could be because (I will list my ideas in no particular order):

A. A faulty cable connect, it really is being disconnected and connected either because it is loosely connected or actually defective -- This problem usually happens with cheap USB hubs, not with a direct connection -- If so possible fix is can you exchange the cable under warranty? Also try a different usb port on the computer. Is the connected device itself flaky in some way? To figure this out try connecting a different device.

B. Power Saving Features, the OS keeps putting the device (not whole PC) to sleep -- Go to Power Savings in the OS Settings and turn them off for USB devices. Turn them off for HDs too while you are at it. How to do this -- What OS are you using?

C. You need different USB drivers -- Whichever ones you are using, what other options are there? If you're using the default OS ones, see if there're downloads specific to the USB for your motherboard. Or vice versa.

D. Go to BIOS and make a list of what USB settings can be changed there, and perhaps change some. This can be dangerous as making a mistake in BIOS settings can brick your computer, disable all your USB ports (like keyboard and mouse controls), and cause BSODs. DO NOT do this except as a last resort, and until you know your specific motherboard's model and how to reset the bios, which can require opening up the computer and taking out a tiny battery hidden behind cables often enough.

Technical support is often all about isolating a problem by swapping out parts until you find the one that doesn't work all the time. You have to narrow down the problem. Right now -- Studio One shouldn't be it, so we have to figure out -- software driver issues? Hardware issues? What is it.
Last edited by puremusic on Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kontakt - Arturia CS80 - Arturia Piano V - Sonivox Eighty-Eight - Spitfire Symphony Orchestra
puremusic

Unread post by puremusic » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:36 pm

Well I wrote a lengthy post anyway.

Here's a digression too.

In my old computer, my USB port would not provide enough power for my external MIDI device. I had to change the USB settings in the BIOS to turn off USB 3 for it to do so, but doing so also caused intermittent BSOD. That in fact was one reason why I bought a whole new computer. The USB worked perfectly, except for these issues. My new computer -- I ran out of ports, bought a USB expansion card, and then my virtual USB driver program stopped working, I had to buy one that wasn't free instead for internal ports.

The moral of this story is not every working perfectly computer works perfectly for DAW purposes which computer manufacturers aren't thinking about when they make the motherboards and driver software. But you're not near the point where we have to say that about your computer, there's still plenty to work on.
puremusic

Unread post by puremusic » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:47 pm

Ah yes, I'll add when setting up a new computer it's usually best not to install all the drivers on any DVDs which came with the various parts. Usually these are out of date, and the better ones are online. Only install them if something isn't working. It's normally best just to let the OS install its default drivers, rather than any motherboard specific ones, as actually motherboard manufacturers.. They often come out with some pretty lousy software for some reason. Pretty much every motherboard I've had has come with tweaking software of some kind that'll crash the OS when nothing else will.
SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:26 pm

Xlyophonetic wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:50 pm
Can I post screenshots here? It might help you see how I've got things set up.
Yes, I think you should be able to attach screenshots to your posts. Underneath the text box where you're typing your post, you should see two tabs that say "Options" and "Attachments." If you select the "Attachments" tab then you should be able to add one or more screenshots (graphics files) from your computer.

PS -- You might need to switch from the "quick reply" option to the "full editor" option.
Michael Rideout
Current keyboards: Yamaha YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443, PSR-EW400, MX49 BK
Current controllers: M-Audio Axiom 61-II
Previous keyboards: Farfisa Matador 611; Casio CTK-710
User avatar Slovenia
Xlyophonetic

Unread post by Xlyophonetic » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:45 pm

@puremusic: First off, I like your name and profile pic. It's so mood-lifting :dance:
Second, at the risk of sounding arrogant, I don't believe you've got the talent to write inconsequential nonsense, digress haphazardly, sprinkle your posts with as many typos as possible etc. as I have, so, you know, don't even try to challenge me. I am the crowned rambler! Nobody can touch me in inducing eye-rolls and despairing sighs! :sleeping-sleeping: >--the lovely effect of my chaotic posts, I'll have you know :lol:
Thirdly, I assure you there was no moment when I was reading what you call your long posts (I find them concise!) when I rolled my own eyes, musing ''I asked for a little help, but this is too much help!'' Everything you write is helpful, so write and digress as much as you want (and pray, share with me your PC/DAW fails if you will, lest I think I am the only one technology conspires against :lol: ) ( Am digressing and boring right now just to prove my point bwahaha)

You've already reminded me of a lot of things I've forgotten to share with you that might be helpful. Let's see. Ok, so my OS is Windows 10 (freshly reinstalled) x64-based processor, 16.0 GB (which is the minimum to run a DAW, I was told). The drivers should all be up to date, as I run the HP update, Windows Update and Easy Driver update on a paranoid daily basis. I have, however forgotten to mention--you have reminded me--that I haven't got the US16 cable plugged in directly; I also have one of those USB port hubs where I can plug several USBs. Do you think this is causing problems, and I should try to reinstall the UX16 driver after I'd plugged the UX16 cable in directly? I also have my PC on a somewhat wobbly table, and while I am not actively kicking it around (except in extreme moments of tech-related anger :P), the slightest bump might cause the thing to stop working...just a thought, although I have removed myself from the table, and the on/off thing was still going on.

I hope I have provided everything you'd asked for; if not, pray, remind me :?

@SeaGtGruff: Thanks! I'll try to attach the screenshots of relevance.
EDIT: There is a button for images, but I don't see one for attachments, and I don't know how else to insert an image..
Last edited by Xlyophonetic on Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
puremusic

Unread post by puremusic » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:59 pm

When you have a problem like this it's almost always the hub. Ditch the hub, go plug it in directly. Don't bother with anything else first, just try that. :D
User avatar Slovenia
Xlyophonetic

Unread post by Xlyophonetic » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:02 pm

Alright, and reinstall the driver, right? As far as I understand, the driver will only work if you plug the USB in the exact port where it was plugged it as it was being installed, correct?
puremusic

Unread post by puremusic » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:06 pm

Try it first without a reinstall, then try it with the reinstall. Every step, failure or not, helps to isolate the problem. I don't have an Audiobox so I don't know how much it needs any particular USB driver.
User avatar Slovenia
Xlyophonetic

Unread post by Xlyophonetic » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:08 am

Yes I shall try that; am busy with some general Windows updates now, so I will do that as soon as I'm finished with this and post an update. I should know how plugging directly does by the evening. <->

UPDATE: Will take a bit of a break from technology-induced headaches for the weekend, but will get back to it when the weekend is over, and will let you know how it went. Have a nice weekend, all. I know I will, because no technology-induced headaches :lol:

Return to “MIDI and Controller Keyboards”