Midi Auto Accompaniment

Anything to do with Midi. Controller Keyboards, Midi gear, software etc.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

United States of America
MiniDVLover

Re: Midi Auto Accompaniment

Unread post by MiniDVLover » Thu May 30, 2019 12:31 am

I just went back to Guitar Center and played a bit more with the EW300's "favorite with style" tunes. I was able to turn the "left hand" off on those songs, and something unexpected happened. The effect was pretty much identical to turning accompaniment off on my EW400 during song playback - the whole style, including drums, went silent. The chord fingerings and names remained on-screen but when I tried to play them it just played those notes on the keyboard, the accompaniment did not resume. Very, very interesting. The mechanism might be simpler than we thought.

I've actually reached out to Yamaha about this. Still waiting for a response from them.

Now I'm wondering, is it possible to "lock" the guide track flag option in the "function" menu for a custom song? It is locked with the built-in songs (L part and R part can't be adjusted), can it be locked with a custom song as well?
User avatar United States of America
SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Thu May 30, 2019 6:41 pm

Yamaha hasn't published much lately about their MIDI messages, aside from whatever you can find in the Data List documents for higher-level models such as the PSR-S line, Tyros line, and Genos line.

But many years ago they did publish some actual documents containing their XG specifications and XF specifications. You can find many of those here:

jososoft.dk/yamaha/docs_specs.htm
Michael Rideout
Current keyboards: Yamaha YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443, PSR-EW400, MX49 BK
Current controllers: M-Audio Axiom 61-II
Previous keyboards: Farfisa Matador 611; Casio CTK-710
United States of America
MiniDVLover

Unread post by MiniDVLover » Thu May 30, 2019 10:29 pm

Very interesting stuff - I should've switched to Yamaha years ago if their instruments had these capabilities in the 90s!

I found something interesting in the manual for the Tyros 5, page 54:

https://www.musikkhandel.no/media/files ... _rm_a0.pdf

There may be SysEx for this...

Update: Okay, I just read one of your earlier posts and you said that it wouldn't work on a PSR-E so... never mind!

Still no "chord assign to channel" or "lock" SysEx that I can see... Like you said, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I might be able to get the latter from one of the songs on the EW400, which has a "Song Out" option on the functions menu (though I haven't gotten that to give me anything, not even from my own songs).
United States of America
MiniDVLover

Unread post by MiniDVLover » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:16 pm

So, apparently, the "favorite with style" songs use actual styles on the keyboard, and not just Midi "copies" of a style (like what a custom song would have). MixMaster does provide style control commands, but I would imagine that runs "background accompaniment" and doesn't give chords to the left hand like I want. I'll keep digging.

Wait... alternate theory. This information comes from a test of the "timing" lesson on the EW300. If I didn't hit the correct chord in time, it continued to play whatever the previous chord was - what if it's just repeating that section of accompaniment as written in the Midi file?

Return to “MIDI and Controller Keyboards”